What's new

Cross-grade from Kontakt Player to Kontakt?

ghootz

Hey All,
A long time lurker (learner) on this forum, which has been fantastic for me on my journey in orchestral based, media composition.
This could be, the most "duh" questions of all time though!!!
If this does, in fact, induce an audible "DUH" .... please let them by as musical as possible!! 😂
All joking aside ... (that was meant to be a joke) ......
What are the main advantages of moving from the Player to Kontakt Full?
Thus far the only times that I've regretted not having the full version have been when some libraries have not been compatible with the player, e.g Performance Samples, Strezov and some 8Dio spring to mind.
My current libraries are from Spitfire - BBCSO/ SSO/ HZP/ OACE / SCO / Originals, OT - Ark's (Sine) & some synths.
I use EXS in Logic as my main sampler.
As a hobbyist (with aspirations!! 😄 - I've been writing/ programming music since the early days of the Akai900) are there a lot of useful features that I could take advantage of or benefit from overall with the full Kontakt version?

Thanks for reading and all thoughts/ wisdom - greatly appreciated.

G

There are two main advantages:

1. The one you mention. Access. Access to libraries by 8Dio, Performance Samples, Bunker Samples, Soundiron, Aaron Venture, Sounddust, Xsample, etc. I could not live without many of those, so I need Kontakt Full.

2. You can make your own instruments using samples you make or have, and get “under the hood”. This may or may not be important to you. EXS is a fine alternative after all.

In terms of sound quality or adding extra features there are no real differences between Player and Full.

There are two main advantages:

1. The one you mention. Access. Access to libraries by 8Dio, Performance Samples, Bunker Samples, Soundiron, Aaron Venture, Sounddust, Xsample, etc. I could not live without many of those, so I need Kontakt Full.

2. You can make your own instruments using samples you make or have, and get “under the hood”. This may or may not be important to you. EXS is a fine alternative after all.

In terms of sound quality or adding extra features there are no real differences between Player and Full.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I hear you about access and in particular, I really liked what Bunker Samples are doing from reviewing their libraries earlier today!!
Access, might be just worth the price point alone.
I assume there will be no comparability issues with the Player ready libraries I have?
Using Kontakt as a sampler are creating own instrument with it has always stoked my curiosity … I won’t lie!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I hear you about access and in particular, I really liked what Bunker Samples are doing from reviewing their libraries earlier today!!
Access, might be just worth the price point alone.
I assume there will be no comparability issues with the Player ready libraries I have?
Using Kontakt as a sampler are creating own instrument with it has always stoked my curiosity … I won’t lie!

Thanks again!
My pleasure.

There will be absolutely no compatibility issues with Player libraries.

[And off-topic: Bunker’s Iremia viola is gorgeous (and the cello is almost ready for release). You may also want to check out YT videos about Performance Samples Pacific Solo Strings as well as their free stuff.]

As for “access”: also check out the Pianobook website for tons of cool free samples! As for making one’s own samples, I’ve created pretty usable ones, based on free orchestral samples (WAVs) available over at IRCAM’s forum. Fun to do as a matter of fact.

Make sure to crossgrade when there’s a Native Instruments sale. Then the “cost” of access can be minimized.

I can crossgrade now for €99.50, additional discount from the SSO purchase!
Dont think I'm going to get a better price than that, so I'll go for it!! :2thumbs:

Bunker's Iremia viola is just gorgeous as you say, those Con Sord textures, swells and pulses are incredible, in particular. Instant inspiration from this library.

Theres a gap in my collection for a Choir, I've being eyeing Oceania for some time and they are on sale too!!

IRCAM - I wasn't aware of this, looks really interesting, thanks for the steer on that too!
Totally agree about Pianobook also.

Thanks a mil for all the advice & tips ...... I'm sold, going to get Kontakt now!!

You're good man! 😂🙌

Have a great one.

G

Another tip, I forgot to mention before:

Pulse are releasing a dry recorded intimate chamber string band - section by section. Intro price per section is $29. So eventually you’d end up paying 150 bucks for an entire set of chamber strings. These are pretty cool too. I think the violins are a bit more expensive now, but you could still get on board for the celli, for 29 USD.

Last edited:
Free samples here. Again, just WAVs so basically only interesting for those who want to create their own instruments:

IRCAM may require you to sign up for their (free) forum, I don’t remember.
Yes, it does require sign up. I'm on the forum now ..... very very interesting stuff from what I've seen so far. Love the mix of sound design & tech!!

Another tip, I forgot to mention before:

Pulse are releasing a dry recorded intimate chamber string band - section by section. Intro price per section is $29. So eventually you’d end up paying 150 bucks for an entire set of chamber strings. These are pretty cool too. I think the violins are a bit more expensive now, but you could still get on board for the celli, foe 29 USD.
Wow .... those demo's sound so good, the detail in the dry recordings is really something.
Loving your "saving" tips, doctoremmet 😄 - fab intro price on these!!!!

Currently, there is a 50% discount on kontakt on the Native Instruments website, it is rather worth taking advantage of it 🙂 There are a lot of great libraries for the full Kontakt version, often at affordable prices.

I'm actually in the exact same boat. Since I own some libraries from Spitfire/Audio Imperia, I'm eligible for the cross-grade pricing + the current sale. I'm really on the fence because I've used the player version for so long and I'm wondering if the full version would contribute something more to my workflow that the player won't.

To add to the conversation though, one thing also worth considering is the fact that the full version comes with Kontakt Factory Library 2, which has got some solid sounds. Maybe not Spitfire level but they'd get the job done not to mention there's quite a few of them: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-7/library/

Last edited:
Currently, there is a 50% discount on kontakt on the Native Instruments website, it is rather worth taking advantage of it 🙂 There are a lot of great libraries for the full Kontakt version, often at affordable prices.
Thanks Maciek, I saw that it was on offer and after my crossgrade option I ended up purchasing it yesterday for €83 - I simply could not pass that up!!! :2thumbs:

Very happy I did, currently downloading / installing and then exploring all the other libraries I have passed on, when I only had the player.

The Performance Samples freebies are first on the list!
Trying very very hard to resist the Ensemble Strings as I wanted to keep some $$$ for CSS ... but they are sound so freaking good!!
Bunker Samples - Iremia has also been earmarked!!
Also wanted this get this from Dan Keen (https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/nfo-orchestral-swells/)
I'll be downloading so much this evening, the lights may dim!! 😂

I'm actually in the exact same boat. Since I own some libraries from Spitfire/Audio Imperia, I'm eligible for the cross-grade pricing + the current sale. I'm really on the fence because I've used the player version for so long and I'm wondering if the full version would contribute something more to my workflow that the player won't.

To add to the conversation though, one thing also worth considering is the fact that the full version comes with Kontakt Factory Library 2, which has got some solid sounds. Maybe not Spitfire level but they'd get the job done not to mention there's quite a few of them: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-7/library/
I just figured that the price was so good (Offer & Crossgrade) that it was worth it to get access to other library developers that I couldn't previously.
Thanks for the heads up on the other instruments from the NI library too! 🙌

Thanks Maciek, I saw that it was on offer and after my crossgrade option I ended up purchasing it yesterday for €83 - I simply could not pass that up!!! :2thumbs:

Very happy I did, currently downloading / installing and then exploring all the other libraries I have passed on, when I only had the player.

The Performance Samples freebies are first on the list!
Trying very very hard to resist the Ensemble Strings as I wanted to keep some $$$ for CSS ... but they are sound so freaking good!!
Bunker Samples - Iremia has also been earmarked!!
Also wanted this get this from Dan Keen (https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/nfo-orchestral-swells/)
I'll be downloading so much this evening, the lights may dim!! 😂
You can get 35% off Iremia (or any other library) at the moment with code “35off”. Just wanted to let you know…

Last edited:
Hey All,
A long time lurker (learner) on this forum, which has been fantastic for me on my journey in orchestral based, media composition.
This could be, the most "duh" questions of all time though!!!
If this does, in fact, induce an audible "DUH" .... please let them by as musical as possible!! 😂
All joking aside ... (that was meant to be a joke) ......
What are the main advantages of moving from the Player to Kontakt Full?
Thus far the only times that I've regretted not having the full version have been when some libraries have not been compatible with the player, e.g Performance Samples, Strezov and some 8Dio spring to mind.
My current libraries are from Spitfire - BBCSO/ SSO/ HZP/ OACE / SCO / Originals, OT - Ark's (Sine) & some synths.
I use EXS in Logic as my main sampler.
As a hobbyist (with aspirations!! 😄 - I've been writing/ programming music since the early days of the Akai900) are there a lot of useful features that I could take advantage of or benefit from overall with the full Kontakt version?

Thanks for reading and all thoughts/ wisdom - greatly appreciated.

G
what version if kontakt are you using?
I have my own custom library i made and use at Disney,Fox,MGM, Paramount. I made it because i wanted speed, quality, min mem usage. Strings patches. All unlocked and run on kontakt. I could hook you up with some simple strings that sound amazing. Used on films, tv, netflix etc. just need to no kontakt version as i have to save in that version otherwise you get message “ this was saved in newer version and you cant use”

what version if kontakt are you using?
I have my own custom library i made and use at Disney,Fox,MGM, Paramount. I made it because i wanted speed, quality, min mem usage. Strings patches. All unlocked and run on kontakt. I could hook you up with some simple strings that sound amazing. Used on films, tv, netflix etc. just need to no kontakt version as i have to save in that version otherwise you get message “ this was saved in newer version and you cant use”
Hey, thats very kind of you. I'm using the latest version 7.10 which probably negates your offer but very much appreciated regardless.

It took years. Allot was originally on my E-mu samplers in that format. Allot of string stuff. Then we put it on synclav (Ron Jones) was doing star trek and used synclav. Allot of my library was used on star trek NG . So we made banks. Then last 5 years i moved strings and some brass to kontakt. And some woodwinds. Synths like juno, moog, matrix 12. We used to stack pads with strings and evolving filtered stuff on korg synths stuff. Its stiff fresh. As those analog synths are not around.

I just got tired of loading new string patch's from great library's and cpu maxes out. So mine sound great, and only a few mb. So you can load up 16 instances and still not even touch cpu. I give it out to some film composer students at USC that cant afford Cine, VSL etc. Its not the same as new multi layer library, but playability is perfect. You dont need any controllers but 11 foot pedal. Works perfect with a few live players.
Used it for years. I own all the librarys, but just a few instruments max out cpu and causes clips. Thus thats it. Funny thing best string ensemble patches are on Roland Integra-7! I made two patches. In my template permanently. And on tons of tv stuff, feature film. Great out of the box with no efx.

Playability is my req. spitfire i love but no patches are VEL sensitive.
On a real gig, there is NO TIME! So you dont have luxury to overdub cc1, cc11 etc to get dynamics. My library uses a pedal, aftertouch for control. A one pass patch! No overdubs for dynamics. Plus if uou have orchestrator, having multiple controllers for dynamics is impossible to take down off midi seq. Its like there is a disconnect from library makers today and film/tv composers.
Heck i do best on a grand piano with a pencil and score paper! Thats fast!
But directors etc today want mockups.

So i just made my own that is fast, sounds great, 100% one pass playability, and does not snuff out cpu.

I was going to start a company that sells simple, fast orchestral libraries for kontakt when i retire. USC film students call me years later and thank me for my patches. They say they sound great, and so fast and playable.

Then again some super rich composers can afford two new $25k macs and redu all there studio with new audio interfaces. I just cant justify it. Spend it on great food, nice couch, big screen in your house for when directors come over and have a enjoyable experience. They know when a real orchestra plays my music it will be awesome! I slave my mac to house synch smpte and send stems. Then they can mix with real players as needed. On cues with special samples and sound design, it just does that realtime with orchestra and mixed live.

I should share a vanilla string patch in kontakt with some of you. No copy protection, just dont sell it. Use it. If they get out and shared then i loose my sound, that made me successful.

Thats why i have only given them to close friends, and USC film composer students. They guard them and dont share. Then they have something always fresh.

Top Bottom