What's new

Can the Updated SSO Replace HOOPUS For Me?

You can learn to play and react to Sound in realtime so it becomes more playful. That's the attraction of rock bands, the spontaneity and unpredictability of the performance. I believe we can do that even in out solitary studios...
You're right, but that's not what I was getting at. I really enjoy playing V.Is and composing music.
However, making thousands of little adjustment to midi data during the mixing process can get VERY tedious. I like it in moderation, but with larger, more complex compositions… let’s just say it’s not my idea of fun anymore.

One thing I do want to ask about this as well, mostly because I haven't heard too many examples of it and, depending how it's asked, it's also hard to get a consistent answer on it.

Especially after SSO's relaunch, do I have any reason to believe it might not perform well in an action-oriented context? Note I'm not talking "super-hyped, fortississimo brass trailer music" style, I already know SSO wasn't designed with that in mind.
At least from what I've heard in demonstration videos, I don't hear anything that speaks against it, but the lack of any real examples of this does worry me a bit, so I also want to hear from anyone who's actually used it.

One thing I do want to ask about this as well, mostly because I haven't heard too many examples of it and, depending how it's asked, it's also hard to get a consistent answer on it.

Especially after SSO's relaunch, do I have any reason to believe it might not perform well in an action-oriented context? Note I'm not talking "super-hyped, fortississimo brass trailer music" style, I already know SSO wasn't designed with that in mind.
At least from what I've heard in demonstration videos, I don't hear anything that speaks against it, but the lack of any real examples of this does worry me a bit, so I also want to hear from anyone who's actually used it.
Well, I'm not sure what they did in the updated SSO but in general you don't use Spitfire libraries for action stuff, mainly because you can do it easier with other libraries which are better fitted for that (Cinematic Studio, OT Arks, Projectsam Symphobias etc). In SSO there isn't much aggression in the spiccatos or staccatos of the strings or the brass that you can use easily for that kind of thing. You may be able to pull it off by tweaking and throwing fx on it but it doesn't seem built for this kind of music.

I figured I could give a final update on here regarding this, and also apologize for the thread title. I realize that it really doesn't give a very good impression on things and I was being very nit-picky as well.

Since it was mentioned earlier, my intent wasn't for this to become a "the grass is greener" thread, but more of a "please help me manage my expectations" sort of thing. I'd rather not inadvertently put a library on a pedestal and then be disappointed when it isn't perfect (because frankly, are any of them perfect?)

That said, I still haven't fully decided whether to go with SSO or try (keyword: try) saving for CSS. The reasoning is rather simple.
I really like the sound of SSO that I hear from walkthrough and overview videos and some of my favorite soundtracks have either been recorded in AIR or in similarly large spaces. However, there's surprisingly few demos that I actually like or that really line up with the sort of music I'd enjoy making, which doesn't instill me with much confidence in it. I think I've found three in total.

Conversely, I've seen many more demos of CSS which better align with what I'd enjoy making, and I feel I can be reasonably confident that it can do whatever I want it to do. But while it does sound good, I'm not 100% sure if I like the sound as much as SSO. Especially the strings, sometimes I like the sound of them and sometimes I really don't.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses so far! Really appreciate everyone chiming in here!

Top Bottom