What's new

"Blockhead" Experimental DAW

Alchemedia

Decomposer
"Blockhead is a new DAW from indie developer Colugo Music that, though it's still very much a work-in-progress, seems to offer a refreshingly different approach to the leading DAWs and is equipped with a raft of useful features that immediately made us think: why can't Ableton do that?"

oh blockhead is so incredibly cool!
I wish I had resources to gift a guy like this a wage just to see what might happen.
As it is, his Patreon is around $1k/month and he's not able to dev this full time.
Imagine a small scrum team on this, with potentially a small advisory council of audio technologists / creators...
I personally see a bunch of holes that will keep this being a niche - but niche's are super cool and interesting. Not everyone needs a do-it-all workstation.

But in the last weeks I have been spending too many hours in bed dreaming how one could architect many of these ideas into something that could more broadly become a do-it-all DAW. Not that it will ever come to anything... but hey. Its incredibly interesting.

About 3 years ago I did a full white-paper to try and design a object oriented media server (OOMS) for massively multichannel realtime audio installations/performance. And got a decent way thru hacking together the basic tools by bringing a bunch of other software together using OSC/virtual sound connections. Turns out newest Qlab (I dunno, less than 12 months old still) can actually do most of what I would need, albeit without dynamically allocating voices into a panner/renderer. It has meant I can now put resources into a specific small niche tool - but one that is doable on a small scale yet potentially help a tonne of people using things like SPAT or other object panner in real-time.

There's a lot about blockheads thinking that draws from the object oriented ideas of something like an OOMS - and could make the whole thing TONNES more interesting. I would just ADORE seeing something like the blockhead macro model become an editor for audio for Qlab. Just wow. Especially in theatre/museum work where you are running by the seat of your pants, and needing changes to happen super quick (but also often to multiple versions of slightly different things...)

OO audio has a future. I raise a glass to Blockhead.

Top Bottom