What's new

Audible glitch on pedal up

B4time

Sorry for awkward cut and paste. I posted this a few days ago in kontact forum but not sure that is the right spot.

Kontact glitch with pedal up​

Unwatch
•••
B

B4time

New Member​

Saturday at 7:25 PM
Sorry about the title but no other way to describe this problem.
My rig includes i7 6700k, 32Gb ram, (1x) 250Gb ssd for OS and programs, (2x) 500Gb ssd for sames and projects.
Computer was self built. I recently benchmaked it on a couple of sites and it seems to be on spec.

Interface is Scarlett 2i2, but used to have Roland OctaCapture and problem I describe below is the same with either interface.

Studio Logic SL Grand 88
Native Intruments S61 (original model)

DAW is Studio One Pro v5.x

PROBLEM:
When playing NI kontact pianos, seemingly especially Grandeur and Noire, I will get an audible glitch when letting up the sustain pedal. I get a quick cpu overload on the Studio One meter when the glitch occurs. The problem does not happen for the first few minutes of playing but happens very consistently after 10 or 20 minutes. I have tried at least 3 diff switch pedals and problem is the same with each one.

It does not seem to matter how many notes are sustaining. Once it starts happening it will glitch on every pedal up. Interestingly I can play all day many many many notes sustained with no glitch at all until I let up the pedal. That said, the prob only starts to happen after playing for a long time with sustain pedal down. IOW, playing short pieces is not problematic. Thia has led to believe that there is perhaps a buffer in Kontact that is filling up when long passages are played with sustain. As above, the glitch ONLY happens on pedal up and once it starts happening it glitches on every pedal up.

I have been using Studio One for about 4 or 5 years. The problem did not present until maybe 2 or 3 years ago. So, possible it is unique to v4 and v5 in SO, but I don't think it is a DAW prob as no one else reports the same thing as far as I am aware.

I am wondering if I made some unknown change to settings in Kontact that is causing the issue but no idea what that might be.

Thanks for reading through. Any insight appreciated.

Report•••
B

B4time

New Member​

Saturday at 8:24 PM
In the spirit of trying to answer my own question, I have been thinking that maybe some sort of midi buffer overrun might be in play? Not sure how midi handles sustain off. Does sustain on cause note off messages to be ignored until the sustain off message is received. Maybe that would cause overrun? If that is the case it seems the problem woyld be common unless I somehow accidentally made the buffer too low?

Report•••
B

B4time

New Member​

Sunday at 7:58 PM
Forgot to mention, it hapens in stand alone too, so really cannot be the DAW. That is why I thought it might be related to Kontakt.

Top Bottom