What's new

Any Live GS3 / GVI users ?

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I am just really wanting to know who is making a living playing live, recording, or in a mission critical playback situation.

Please share your work, ideas, and anything, as lurking never spurs debate, which is why we are here.

If you talk about close calls, or fine women, we shall the enjoy the lesson learned.

I use GS3 / GVI day and night w/ 2 DAW's. They never crash, and I make money.

Surely others here do the same, or if you are designing a DAW to gig with, chime in.

Lets start with RAID.

I investigated this for a while a few years back and learned it is not needed. It uses the CPU cycles even if it is on a card that uses 32 bit PCI, or even PCI-X. But the real let down is to have all of this redundancy, and still have audio dropouts as the RAID array must rebuild after a crash.

Since I bought a RAID card I thought I'd use it, but found out that I only needed a mirrored copy to have in a RAID cage, which is needed in a 4U ATX rack mount anyway. They serve as a great cooling solution, and have the copy of the content drive that I used RAID to make. That's it. When we caused crashes to check out the results, we were shocked to see that a Hot Swap SATA HDD can be up and running after a quick swap. Just switch 'em quick and go.

Sure it isn't a mission critical thing at a gig, but recording is more important, or better yet automated shows use analog switchers so there is never an audio dropout. But that's the way to add redundancy, RAID is great for large video files and archiving massive data, but that requires a large array w/ 5 HDD's and the RAID level 3, which is the only RAID where audio dropouts do not occur.

But I'm talking live gigs where one could slide, unless your faking your chops that is.

If you just have to have RAID w.o dropouts, get a REVO 64 that uses the old NetCell RAID level 3 algo. It is a video archivers friend.

Top Bottom