What's new

Adachi: Important update, 8Dio threatens reviewers and competing devs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Sarah Mancuso ,

I have the Adagio Violins, and Cellos ver. 1.6 , but the Violas, and Basses show version V1.0 in the sample folder resources. I checked my 8dio account, for the downloads, and same shows there, Violins, and Cellos are ver 1.6, Violas and Basses are Ver 1.

Do you think these samples should work with ADACHI Instruments ? or should I request ver 1.6 Vlas, and 1.6 Basses from 8dio support to be added to my downloads ?

I also have the full Agitato sections, so that should be fine.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Hi @Sarah Mancuso ,

I have the Adagio Violins, and Cellos ver. 1.6 , but the Violas, and Basses show version V1.0 in the sample folder resources. I checked my 8dio account, for the downloads, and same shows there, Violins, and Cellos are ver 1.6, Violas and Basses are Ver 1.

Do you think these samples should work with ADACHI Instruments ?

I also have the full Agitato sections, so that should be fine.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Yes, those should be fine. Not all of the Adagio Legacy instruments were updated to 1.6. This is probably because the violas and basses came out later than the violins and cellos.

So for the Anthology sordino patches, I'd just copy those samples over (or redirect to their folder) and won't have to do any renaming or other weirdness?

Before anyone copies anything, please view this video I made. It will make installing and updating the patches MUCH easier for Windows users. At the request of Sarah, here is the video you all need to make your lives, and hers, easier (so she doesn't have to keep repeating herself).

If you're not watching on Youtube and instead watching here, this is the link to the software needed to make symbolic links.

Link Shell Extension

I like the tone of Anthology very much, but it has some stereo problems. The sound fluctuates left and right. Is there a solution?

Hi,

I just got to hear one of the patches, ADACHI Vlns Ens. Legato, and they sound amazing, (THANKS Sarah), it takes a while to scan the Adagio Samples, then Agitato Samples, the resave the patch, for each of the ADACHI Patches.

Is there any additional documentation on ADACHI i.e. kind of a condensed user's manual ?

I have to continue loading, and scanning the remaining patches of ADACHI. I'm delighted with the sound already.

@Sarah Mancuso , I donated a small token of my appreciation, to Thank You for this fantastic effort, and time you spent working on this project, and deciding to share it with this community. Your are super cool, and very talented.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Here is a pic of ADACHI Vlns Ensemble Legato Patch, I don't think anyone posted how it looks in Kontakt :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
@djDarkX and other windows users:
Thanks. Anyway I installed the instruments (in Windows) without any need to copy samples or create links. I just told Kontakt to locate the missing samples (in the original folders) and saved. It worked.

It is true that for some reason these instruments seem to be more complicated, because they need to locate the samples in DIFFERENT folders. When this happens Kontakt seems to be in an infinite loop. No problem! Clicking "cancel" and providing the location of the next folder with samples (you can see what Kontakt needs for the instrument easily), Kontakt can find more samples. Notice that the number of missing samples decreases. Repeating 2 or 3 times Kontakt locates ALL the samples required.

Once it worked for one instrument, I did a batch resave for all "Adachi" instruments, repeating the location of samples in the few different folders where I have them (again 4 or 5, I cannot remember). No need to move or create links or rename. I kept the original ".ins" zipped just in case.

The only thing that is not straightforward (or perhaps a bug) is the fact that when Kontakt finds part of the samples, it seems to be in an infinite loop showing many files names per second. Click cancel, go for the next folder and you'll se the number of missing samples decreasing.

I hope it helps.

@Sarah Mancuso I also donated as a way to say thank you.

Hi,

I just got to hear one of the patches, ADACHI Vlns Ens. Legato, and they sound amazing, (THANKS Sarah), it takes a while to scan the Adagio Samples, then Agitato Samples, the resave the patch, for each of the ADACHI Patches.

Is there any additional documentation on ADACHI i.e. kind of a condensed user's manual ?

I have to continue getting loading, and scanning the remaining patches of ADACHI. I'm delighted with the sound already.

@Sarah Mancuso , I will be donating a small token of my appreciation, to Thank You for this fantastic effort, and time you spent working on this project, and deciding to share it with this community. Super cool, and very talented.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Here is a pic of ADACHI Vlns Ensemble Legato Patch, I don't think anyone posted how it looks in Kontakt :emoji_sunglasses:

Thank you for your generosity!

There isn't a user manual, sorry about that. For most of this year only myself and a handful of friends have had access to this.

Blue keyswitches are mapped to change legato types. Red keyswitches are mapped to change sustain types. Purple keyswitches are mapped to change both at the same time. (If you see a different color, it means that key is currently selected.) Any of the keyswitches can be a "stack" of multiple velocity or speed controlled articulations, or they can be a single articulation. The message bar underneath the keyboard will show you what's mapped to a key when you mouse over it, as long as you have that part of the Kontakt UI open.

The Microphone controls are hopefully self-explanatory. The Vibrato slider only affects sustains that have vibrato layers (of course), this is usually just the Looped Sustain (though some of those don't have it). The Disable Legato button does what it says, and can be automated if you want to play chords somewhere in your track.

The "dev controls" view is where I configure many of the legato settings (the parts that aren't defined in the Kontakt backend or in the scripts themselves), and I don't recommend messing with it unless you're feeling very adventurous and eager to break things.

The keyswitch editor itself is probably the most complex part to understand. You can map each articulation in multiple places, which allows for a lot of flexibility -- you can have keyswitches for switching between legato or sustain types manually and still be able to switch them via velocity or performance speed. The velocity and speed settings in the keyswitch editor are specific to that keyswitch, so you can have completely different sets of auto-switching behaviors on different keyswitches.

The ^ and v buttons to the right can be used to scroll through the list.

The numbered buttons to the left can be used to select or deselect rows in the editor. You can quickly map a bunch of keyswitches by selecting artics in the dropdown menus on empty rows, using the selection buttons on those rows, pressing the midi key you want to start mapping from, and then clicking Automap Range. You can also automap them all to the same keyswitch via Automap Same, if you're wanting to then set them to different velocity or speed ranges on the same key.

You can use the Load and Save buttons to store your keyswitches in an external file, which can be useful if you're updating to a new version of Adachi and you want to make sure you don't lose how you had things set up.

There is currently a minor bug that means sometimes velocity switching won't work as expected until you press the Sort button. This isn't always necessary, but if things seem to be misbehaving, try that and it should fix it. I haven't tackled it yet because solving it may require significant changes to how artic switching is currently handled.

Last edited:
I like the tone of Anthology very much, but it has some stereo problems. The sound fluctuates left and right. Is there a solution?
Probably not without heavily processing the samples somehow, which isn't within scope for this project (and for obvious reasons, I can't distribute 8Dio's samples). It seems to be an artifact of the recording process. It's not ideal, but it's something that I live with because I like the sound enough otherwise.

As mentioned above, I've been working on porting over the remaining Ensemble Violas sustains, meaning the loures and the Agitato-specific short arcs. I'm hoping to get the remaining legato types in there soon as well (the portamentos from Adagio and the Fast Pointed from Arpeggio). Ensemble Cellos are up next after that.
And this is why 8Dio just made a little more money from me this morning, in order for me to complete my Agitato collection so that I can fully enjoy Adachi, and for no other reason. Sarah, Troels ought to send you a commission. :geek:

Two questions just for the screenshot posted above, haven‘t tried it yet. So really looking forward to use it. :)
  • With the drop-downs of legato and sustain types you can select every available articulation and mix them to you heart‘s content?
  • Velocity switching means your playing velocity or the velocity of the keyswitch?

Two questions just from the screenshot posted above, haven‘t tried it yet. So really looking forward to use it. :)
  • With the drop-downs of legato and sustain types you can select every available articulation and mix them to you heart‘s content?
  • Velocity switching means your playing velocity or the velocity of the keyswitch?
1) Yes! Freely mixing and matching between the various legatos and arcs was one of the central goals I had for this project.
2) Velocity switching is based on your playing velocity. Keyswitch velocity is ignored.

I should also note that the Ensemble Violins patch has a number of extra sustain arcs/loures that aren't mapped to any keys by default, just because there are so many available. You can add them via the keyswitch editor if you want to try them out!

I think an ADACHI video tutorial would be super helpful.

Showing how to use it, and the creative options available, to customize it to taste, or needed sonic character.

There is a lot going on in the GUI.

I suppose it's too much to expect Babylon Waves to be all over this with a expression map update?

I thought not...oh well, I will just have to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty rolling my own expression maps for Nuendo.
🤣

Spotlight in Kontakt on the Mac works fine for me. That way, Kontakt loads all the samples quickly and without me having to prepare anything beforehand.

I having trouble finding Violas and Basses samples, maybe I have 2.0 samples? 8dio download mails says so, but I don´t know if I have 1.x or 2.0 ones.

EDIT: nevermind I found the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom