What's new

A rare occasion, I finished something. 1st full orchestration. "By Blood we Live"

tokatila

So, it has been little over a year I decided to quit my day job and start to study music, while being half-drunk and listening to Battle Adagio from Brian Tyler's Rambo Soundtrack and thinking would it be cool someday to tell my children that daddy can do something like that too instead of working in a grey cubicle for faceless corporation (being there, done that).

So I thought it would be fitting to have my first finished orchestration paying some kind of homage to the Battle Adagio, so now after studying and listening tens of hours, maybe hundreds, of Brian Tyler, I finally finished my Battle Adagio and my 3rd song in a little over a year.

And it took me only 3 days to find the first two notes of the main melody. I had lots of ideas, but only this melody seemed to fit what I was looking for. And of course, came it up while being half-drunk. ;)

I'm not trying to be original, I hope that will come later.

What samples are you using?

This is pretty damn good for your 3rd piece imo. The progression of phrases was logical and you kept my attention. You've definitely absorbed BT's orchestration style.

As far as samples go, only 3 things threw me off:

1. I would remove the fluttertongue flute at 0:40, as it kind of confuses the horn color.

2. The cello line at 1:28-1:54 isn't automated well, it could be too much modwheel motion creating a "swooping" effect. Try and make it more level and smooth.

3. The trumpet gets TOTALLY buried by violins at 1:54-2:05, bring it way up, that's your big musical moment! You only need to raise the volume, not velocity. The line is played well, it's just that in a real orchestra you would hear it WAY more at that velocity level.

Other than those 3 things this is a great piece and I like it even more on the second listen.

Thank you for your kind words, it took me so much to do and that I'm completely impervious how it sounds to the new listener after hearing it so much.

And even more thanks for your constructive feedback; will take everything into the account and I'm very glad that you took time to listen and give them. It's very helpful to have fresh ears. :blush:

The orchestra and drums are full Spitfire, Choirs are from Soundiron expect the Soprano which is is from the Omnisphere (2).

Very nice! You can definitely tell that it's influenced by Tyler (not a bad thing at all).

The only things I can think of is what NoamL said.

Well done!

Thank you all for listening and kind words. Making music is the are I definitely feel most insecure about and while I know I have still a massive amount to learn this feels very encouraging for me to continue learning. Thanks all! :relieved:

Top Bottom