What's new

9 composing mistakes making your tracks sound cheap (and how to fix them)

zedmaster

Kevin Kuschel
Hope this is helpful, especially for more inexperienced composers.

Here are 9 common beginner mistakes that make your orchestral tracks sound cheap and MIDI-like, and how you can fix them.

I respect that not everyone wants to watch a 15-minute video, so there’s a written summary. If you can, watch the video for more detail, sound examples and clear instructions how to fix these mistakes.

(human-made) summary below the video

❌Not using dynamics/mod wheel
  • Dynamics help you phrase your melodies musically and add gentle swells in your harmonies and textures
  • Dynamic curves may sound subtle, but they add up if done on every instrument

❌Poor velocities
  • Put emphasis on notes that carry the rhythm and need to be accented. Reduce velocities on notes that are in-between.

❌Overcomplicating
  • Keep it simple with just a few main ideas at once. They should compliment and not overshadow each other.
  • Often, we try to show too many composer skills at once :D

❌Never switching articulations
  • Experiment with trills, tremolos and marcatos for expressiveness
  • Use different short lengths within a phrase (staccatissimo, staccato…) and don’t play short notes with a legato articulations out of laziness <3

❌Low-quality or poorly programmed samples
  • Poor recording quality, lack of round robins, bad legato transitions or artificial vibrato can make a track sound cheap
  • High-quality samples don’t have to be expensive (!!)

❌Acoustic inconsistency
  • Avoid mixing super dry samples with instruments that carry a lot of room tone
  • Same for mic positions
  • Feel free to break these rules and experiment!

❌Breathing pauses
  • Add short breaks to mimic breathing in wind and brass music.
  • Don't make breaks too long; musicians can play for a while without stopping.

❌Ignoring mixing and production
  • Mixing and mastering can’t replace solid composition, arrangement and orchestration, but they can make a track sound unpolished and weak
  • Use EQ to remove low and low-mid rumble and a compressor to glue instrument sections together a bit more

❌Relying too much on loops and presets
  • It’s FINE to use loops and presets, especially if you make music for enjoyment
  • Try combining, modifying and blending them into your music to turn them into your own sound.
  • Try adding live elements if you can. A single live-recorded drum or vocal part can have a big effect

What are your most common composing mistakes and how do you overcome them?

But most importantly, where did you get the large duck that's in the background in your "My Top 7 Strings Sample Libraries (For Every Purpose)" video??

I'm going to have to go to South Korea then :) Although I did just find one on Amazon that looks very similar and comes in various sizes up to 5 feet long - could double as a bass trap!

Top Bottom