What's new

Sample library online taxes

PerryD

I saw that Georgia (US) will now collect taxes on all online purchases, effective starting January 3rd. So if you are on the fence about that expensive library or hardware purchase...

Digital content doesn't usually have taxes. So Amazon charges tax in California for a physical book I buy that is shipped to me, but they don't charge tax on an ebook I download to my Kindle.

Unless you order the box product? There still are no sales tax on sample libraries. At least in California. I'm thinking it would be the same in Georgia.

Digital content doesn't usually have taxes. So Amazon charges tax in California for a physical book I buy that is shipped to me, but they don't charge tax on an ebook I download to my Kindle.

Unless you order the box product? There still are no sales tax on sample libraries. At least in California. I'm thinking it would be the same in Georgia.
I hope so. I received an email from B&H saying online purchases. I will be ordering Slate SSD5 near the end of January (broke for now). It would be nice if tax free. I know tax collection varies by state.

I hope so. I received an email from B&H saying online purchases. I will be ordering Slate SSD5 near the end of January (broke for now). It would be nice if tax free. I know tax collection varies by state.
I ordered a SSD drive from Crucial and they charged tax. (unless you meant Steven Slate Drums 5 which you can order from Sweetwater now with 48 months of financing)

I think it largely depends on the company. Some sample companies charge sales tax here in Texas, others do not.

This is the email I received.

Important Message Regarding Sales Tax

As you may know, based on a June 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling, GA is now requiring out of state sellers to collect sales tax. As a result, B&H will begin to collect sales tax on shipments to GA on January 3rd. All reputable retailers are complying with the new laws and collecting sales tax.

All of us at B&H thank you for the opportunity to serve you and look forward to continuing to provide you the very best in creative technology – photo, video, audio, computers, and more. We encourage you to take advantage of all we offer at (broken link removed), including our team of experts available by phone, chat, or email to help with your technology questions; the most extensive product information available in the industry; and of course, always the best value. We pride ourselves on having what you want, when you want it – we stock the broadest assortment of technology in the industry.

If you haven’t shopped B&H in a while, please visit our website to see our latest offers. Our new B&H Credit Card, for example, offers customers special financing with no interest if paid in full within 6 or 12 months. For terms and conditions, (broken link removed).

If you are a tax-exempt customer, please visit our (broken link removed) for information about how to complete tax-exempt certification.

If you have questions about sales tax collection, please email us at [email protected] or call us at (Broken Link Removed).

We are grateful for your business and appreciate the opportunity to continue offering you the best service in the consumer electronics industry.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
B&H Photo & Video
eml_topnav_072015_05.jpg

Does Steven Slate Drums come on a hard drive? That is the issue I think. It is a physical product that causes the taxes.

Funny, that's the opposite of how it is in the UK. Books are tax free but ebooks have tax on them.

Funny, that's the opposite of how it is in the UK. Books are tax free but ebooks have tax on them.
I do know some states are fighting for tax on digital content but since a lot of it comes from out of the US, I'm not sure how they can really track it.

I'm buying eg. Cinesamples products via Time and Space because CS add tax on top of the price. If I remember correctly, Cinesamples' store uses a payment processor that most likely just automatically adds the VAT based on the street address you provide.

Top Bottom