What's new

Hello and thank you (lurker indie dev from UK)

AnxietreeDev

Software Engineer by main trade - side eyeing the possibility of some retro-tune + SFX freelance for games after some personal requests from other colleagues in the field. Figured I should avoid composing in an echo chamber of me, myself and I first!

Recently built out a little plugin collection based on nothing but recommendations on this forum, little font of extremely useful knowledge. Magical Box being my most obscure favourite entry from this forum!

Summarised history with Music production:
- Can play Drums + Piano + Harp! (always forgetting my scales, play mostly by ear)
- Can read drum sheet music! (A skill that has alas waned in recent usefulness)
- Got familiar with production in my little local youth clubs open studio and a short course on Reason + Redrum!
- A Dance Ejay 4 demo disc was technically my first DAW? (Look it up, the UI looks like Break-A-Block LOL)
- Loved Garageband in school, spent so many breaks/lunches playing with it
- Dabbled in Logic, Ableton, settled in with FL Studio this winter as my favourite. (briefly used it as a teen)
- Barely touched production in my 20's, other than random SFX i wanted for mine + others games / mods.
- Recently gave composing another shot and am currently working on the OST for my first commercial game release

Music Heroes:
- God King Nobuo Uematsu (squaresoft/enix resident composer). Finally got hold of a roland sound canvas and it feels like I've gotten hold of my elder patrons Phylactery, absolutely in love with it. The sounds of my childhood.
- Emiko Shiratori also deserves her cred for square as well! Less spoken of!
- Darren Korb, Ashley Barrett - ALL of SuperGiant Games sound talent. So atmospheric. Tempted to list Logan Cunningham as my favourite instrument for his iconic roles & vocal range there haha
- Toby Fox for his old stuff on Homestuck, new stuff in the undertale/deltarune series too! Again, nostalgia hits.
- Martin O'Donnell & the other legends behind Halo's tracks (mostly the main menu music)
- Tenpei Sato for Disgaea's unique vibe! Most memorable main theme for sure
- Pascal Michael Stiefel for A Hat In Time's OST, most modern example i really really enjoy!
- Everyone involved with Fable's OSTs.

Lots of Game heavy-composers there ofc, most iconic film/tv soundtracks i can pull out my head..

Say what you will but I actually loved the matrix soundtrack. First pull from the noggin
All the LOTR tracks, even the hobbit ones. Treasure Planet too!

I know Hans Zimmer is a meme but his tracks are great to me. Lion King, Pirates of the Caribbean, classic

Ooh and the Penny Dreadful TV series tracks! Loved the atmosphere in that show.

PURE musicians? First pull is.. Missy Elliott. lol. Everything my mom played in the car on the way to school.
Very RnB heavy upbringing, love pop, love rock, then as teen transitioned toward Linkin Park Slipknot system of a down Greenday etc -
All the millennial classics.

EDIT: And how can i forget, most recent sound design idol - Taylor Moore on the Worlds Beyond Number podcast! Incredible atmosphere.

------------------------------------

Infodump aside, will mostly just be browsing quietly, occasionally asking for composition advice and plug-in recommendations for specific sounds that a google search isn't being as helpful as id like it to be for. Will hopefully be in a position to drop back and offer the same advice eventually. Thanks for having me bubs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom