What's new

OTR v2.3.05 Update Released (January 4, 2024) ! Orchestral Template For Reaper Release Thread

storyteller

OTR2 has been released. This thread has been tracking along since the initial release of OTR v1 in 2017, so I've updated this initial post to reflect the latest v2 release on September 22, 2022.

What's New in OTRv2?

• OTR's script and actions count has increased from ~300 scripts to ~1000
  • No more track prefixes/suffixes... just name the tracks what you want.
  • 32 fully customizable and re-assignable stem categories (up from 23)
  • 8 fully customizable and re-assignable stem groups (up from 6)
  • New, custom-designed GUI editor for easy stem grouping, routing and renaming
  • OTRv2 comes pre-configured with full integration with Reaticulate
  • New and included Reaticulate articulation templates that are tailored for OTR's workflow
  • OTRv2 includes a custom Reaticulate GUI to manage the articulations within OTR (meaning no text editing for Reaticulate)
  • Includes a custom JS Helper plugin for Reaticulate that translates CC values into Note-Hold values. This is very helpful when multiple Keyswitches are used in an instrument such as Bohemian Violin and Cello.
  • Reorganized and simplified Track Template menus
  • Tons of new Track Templates for various samplers/romplers
  • Full Kontakt template integration with Flexrouter scripts allowing for up to 128 articulations per track with Reaticulate
  • Full Flexrouter integration with the Reaticulate GUI
  • Full consideration given in crafting VEPro templates with Reaticulate, Kontakt, and Flexrouter to optimize performance and track management across slave/satellite computers
  • OTR v2 includes a completely custom-designed theme that marries the best of Reaper v5 and v6 themes together
  • Reaper/OTR Custom Menu Buttons now fully conform to your project. For example if you have a project that has specific track groups for stems that are different than another project's stems and groupings the Reaper/OTR Menu buttons can now be updated to reflect the names of the stems and groups specific to each project.
  • Automatically convert OTR v1 templates to OTR v2 simply by opening the GUI for OTR2
  • And more!
  • A new OTR2 Youtube channel has been setup that will be solely focused on bringing OTR content to users.
November 1, 2021
- OTR 2.1 update is released. See post #190 for the full update release information.
January 19, 2022
- OTR 2.2 update is release. Check out the list of the latest updates and change log at www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com/downloadotr.php
September 22, 2022
- OTR 2.3 update is release. Check out the list of the latest updates and change log at www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com/downloadotr.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm really excited to announce that OTR v2.3 is now available.

Here are some highlights:

• OTR has partnered with Orchestral Tools to now include project templates, track templates, articulation maps, and Vienna Ensemble Pro Server projects for their flagship libraries. All of these configurations are mapped logically in OTR for a one-track-per-instrument approach... including mapping mic faders to CCs in VEPro, etc. Be sure to check out the full manual for the included OT Extras.

• OTR comes with an OTR-specific factory Reaticulate reabank library out of the box. This includes all of the Orchestral Tools flagship libraries mapped in an intuitive way. SINE presets are included to quickly sync up your libraries. Track templates require no configuration at all. They just work out of the box.

• OTR includes a suite of custom scripts for visually-impaired users. These scripts make it possible for assistant-free composing through the use of Visual Feedback Screen Prompts (VISP scripts in Reaper actions menu) for screen reading software in Reaper. Initial setup of the visually-impaired composer's template is required... but afterwards, making music should be very close to assistant-free as possible.

• New filtering with DYNAMIC Find/Search functions make it super easy to tailor your views for large templates.

• Vastly improved Global Visibility Toggles menu toolbar and functions.

• Vastly improved Midi usability, including incorporation of the latest Midi Tool plugin.

• Vastly improved mouse and arrow navigation in the track view and midi view.

• Fully compatible with Reaticulate 0.5.x.

• New and updated VSTi2 and VSTi3 track templates of most samplers available today

• Reapack scripts can now be updated without breaking OTR compatibility.

• Now includes ~1400+ custom scripts/actions!

installation of OTR v2.3:

What's New in OTR v2.3

Download Link:
www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com

OTR is a free to use and download. OTR uses a donation model to support development. Thank you for your continued support!

Last edited:
Ok, what exactly am I pre-ordering? The video told me absolutely nothing.

Thanks @Gabriel Oliveira for posting that.

Erica, the first video I posted here is just a promo teaser. The website https://otr.storyteller.im discusses the whole product in depth with 11 walkthrough videos as well as a feature list of everything it includes. But essentially, OTR is an enhancement to the Reaper DAW (free to try at Reaper.fm) that makes it the perfect tool it for composers. It contains over 250 custom scripts and actions behind the scenes, and 11 menus that you will see in the user interface that are full of composer-friendly functionality.

In short, it could be seen as simply a project template, but the long story is that it adds functionality to the entire Reaper DAW in a way that is tailored to and enhanced for composers. Just to put it into perspective, there are nearly 200 tracks already setup in the DAW before you add your first instrument... but those are mostly hidden from view until needed. They are what allow the magic to happen with the template.

Also, OTR is built around a concept called TrackPacks. Imagine loading a library like Berlin Woodwinds where it is already pre-routed and pre-configured for the DAWs workflow. Now imagine you pick a keyswitched version, or an articulation per track version. Want to send it to a virtual hall rather than use all of the mics? Maybe you decide to audition all of the mics blended with your other orchestral section versus sending the close mics only to the virtual hall. Whatever your choice, it is a simple right click away. That is what makes it wonderful.

Also, VCAs are a breeze which makes template balancing a much, much, much more simplified process than it is presently.

I hope this helps a little. The OTR website breaks down much of the functionality. The walkthrough videos also touch on many of the key features too. The "Overview Video" is a 45 minute walkthrough by itself.

Let me know what questions you have though. I'm really excited about it and am very happy to address any questions that may arise. :grin:

Hi Jonathan,

I can only imagine the amount of work that this project has taken, and applaud your motivation to provide composers with a "better mousetrap." Best of luck with your venture. There are definitely some very good ideas on display. It's challenging (IMO) to tease them out of the videos you have posted, though. You understand them so well, that it is easy to forget that we don't know them yet. I think that happens a bit in the videos I've looked at, where lots of details are discussed without the benefit of the bigger picture.

I suggest that, for now, you should replace or augment the linked trailer with this video:

And then, make a eight to ten minute a carefully scripted and tightly edited video walk-through that first explains the rationale for and benefits of OTR in less than a minute, followed by showing all phases of a project (in-progress, with tracks and VI's loading and then being used and mixed and bounced) with a brief demonstration of how OTR facilitates that phase. The format for each step should be "here's the step, here's what makes it hard in many DAWs, here's how easy and pre-configured it is in OTR, and here are the time-saving and organizational aids and benefits for this step." It really needs such a concise introduction, IMO, in order to show composers why they should consider it and invest the time into figuring out whether or not it is right for them.

Joe

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan,

I can only imagine the amount of work that this project has taken, and applaud your motivation to provide composers with a "better mousetrap." Best of luck with your venture. There are definitely some good ideas on display. It's challenging (IMO) to tease them out of the videos you have posted, though. You understand them so well, that it is easy to forget that we don't know them yet, and I think that happens a bit in the videos I've looked at.

I suggest that, for now, you should replace the linked trailer with this track:

And then, make a eight to ten minute a carefully scripted and tightly edited video walk-through that first explains the rationale for and benefits of OTR in less than a minute, followed by showing all phases of a project (in-progress, with tracks and VI's loading and then being used and mixed and bounced) with a brief demonstration of how OTR facilitates that phase. The format for each step should be "here's the step, here's what makes it hard in many DAWs, here's how easy and pre-configured it is in OTR, and here are the time-saving and organizational aids and benefits for this step." It really needs such a concise introduction, IMO, in order to show composers why they should consider it and invest the time into figuring out whether or not it is right for them.

Joe

Thanks Joe - for both the kind words and for the suggestion. I will defintely put together something more concise as you've mentioned. You are indeed correct that describing everything is a tall order when you've come to know it so well... especially with the depth of features included.

There is a video that I am finishing up that presents the 22 primary features of OTR that should help. I also think the website has a great amount of bullet-point content regarding these 22 features too. Over the next week, I plan on doing a "starting your first session" video, so there is much more to come!

Have you mentioned this on the Reaper/cockos forum?
Not yet. I plan on doing that today though. I wanted to make the announcement on VIC first. ;)

EDIT: It has now been posted on the Reaper/cockos forum.

Last edited:
Interesting and impressive. It's clear that you've put a lot of thought and work into this, and since I am a Reaper user who is currently scuffling about with the creation of orchestral templates, I will be following its development from the peanut gallery. But if I were to dive in, I have some concerns:

1) The cost, even at the intro price, is twice as much as a (home user) licence for Reaper, and to avail ourselves of this price we have to preorder it on faith, sans any independent feedback or review, or else it is unclear what this will cost, since you have a "full" price (that I think was changed yesterday from $139 to $239) for a bundle that will not exist after the preorder period, as the OTR and the Track Packs will then be sold separately. So the $239 appears to be little more than a tag for what market economists call an "expectation anchor" or something, and confusing for anyone not buying this now.

But I am NOT suggesting that this is overpriced, only that it is expensive as a leap into the unknown. Were this $119 (or whatever) a street price for a product already established in the wild, with many end users reporting how the workflow suits them, then the decision-making process would be quite different.

2) OTR seems to be sort of a cross between a series of templates and a mod that essentially creates a whole new DAW (a massive undertaking!). You use the word "easy" quite a bit in the walkthough videos (which are quite detailed, thank you) and I am sure it is for you, because as OTR's creator you're experiencing it from the inside-out. You already automatically know what, where, how and why all of the features exist, and the workflow (always subjective) is already customized exactly for you. How well will this translate to those of us who did not build it, but have to learn it from the outside-in? For now this remains an unknown. My own little orchestral templates for Reaper are extremely limited & crude in comparison to OTR, but at least I understand them because I'm the one who made them, and as I improve them my knowledge of how to use them improves as an intrinsic part of the process. And your honest FAQ answer to the question of how OTR will impact our own customizations and scripts (it's complicated) sounds exactly that.

3) As you obviously know, Reaper updates quite frequently, and the changes/improvements are often significant. Do you have a working relationship with the Cockos team? How would we know how stable this is likely to be as Reaper continues to evolve? At any price, I am apprehensive about modding my DAW of choice in such a way as to become reliant on TWO independent developers and taking on all of the complexity that this potentially entails.

But with those caveats, OTR looks really well-thought out and cool, and I wish you much success with this venture.

But with those caveats, OTR looks really well-thought out and cool, and I wish you much success with this venture.
Thanks @Tugboat. That means a lot because I know how much you have invested with Reaper based off of all of your posts here. So let me see if I can break down your questions.

I want to begin by openly saying that I am figuring the marketing side out as I go along and I am wholly open to any suggestions to bring this product into the hands of those that need it most - because it really will be a game-changer for many people's way they make music. Ultimately, I want to help others through that which has helped me.

But first - yesterday, I did change the "bundle retail price" based on questions I was receiving on why the price did not reflect a 50% discount as is mentioned in the marketing. Originally, I was going to launch OTR preorder as the software alone, as well as take preorders for TrackPacks. But since there is so much "newness" with OTR and with little real-world experience for how TrackPacks could bring benefits to orchestral workflows, I thought it would be best to just include these in the bundle at no cost so that those that preordered would see what a benefit TrackPacks really are. Where they will really shine is once custom libraries are introduced, like Berlin Woodwinds already preconfigured...or, for example, offering a solo brass library with the option of turning it into an Ensemble (similar to the design of Berlin Brass) by having all of the detuning/pitch shifting already done for the user. But those are coming... and will be marketed as additional TrackPacks.

The intention is for OTR to have a retail price of $129 and TrackPacks for "The Collection" series to be offered at $9.99 a piece - with neither being offered with any discounts in the future. Kind of like the Orchestral Tools pricing model. So overall, with 11 TrackPacks, the retail price of OTR + the Collection is $239. OTR itself will be priced at $129. Other TrackPacks will fluctuate a little in price based on the complexities of the libraries themselves...but will still be very reasonable compared to setting up a shiny new VI library yourself. I've considered offering just an OTR software pre-order as well, but have so far resisted that concept so that others can experience the benefit of the TrackPacks.

Of course, I welcome any and all suggestions. After all, this software isn't about creating another hill for composers to climb. Rather, it is about building something the community can use and adore. :2thumbs:

(cont'd)

@Tugboat
Regarding your second and third questions, let me see if I can explain OTRs architecture. As you know, Reaper installs the application and then installs a separate set of folders for User Customization. This folder travels with the user as upgrades with Reaper occur. The User Folder is where all of your custom scripts get added and where any modifications to the GUI and preferences are saved. When Reaper is upgraded, it adds what is needed to this folder. The API is rarely deprecated, so user scripts will almost always function as expected when coded with ReaScript. If changes to the API are made, then the scripts will be updated respectively.

You probably know much (if not all) of the above already, but it is important to know that to understand OTR - because it is essentially a port of my User Folder. It contains all of the scripts and modifications I've made in building out my workflow. It is not a separate application, but rather a hot-rodded User Folder.

When I decided to release it for the public, I thought it would be great to write an application that could auto-switch user profiles for Reaper (using sudos etc) so that a user could choose between the OTR user folder and their own folder. So I began developing it. I also looked at ways to update OTR if a user decided to modify the OTR User Folder. But, alas, I realized that without working directly with the Reaper Devs, an add-on user profiler wouldn't work due to the sandbox-style restrictions Apple places on developers (and rightly so). And since the Reaper devs are busy adding all of the scoring and notation features now, I chose the path of least resistance.

So in the future, I do know that Reaper has plans of introducing user profiles, which will more easily allow things like user modification to OTR. As it stands now, when OTR is installed, you will save a backup of your Reaper User Folder and use the OTR folder instead. This means any personal customizations travel with your personal User Folder. Any modifications once OTR is installed would travel with the new User Folder (which is essentially OTR). When it comes to future upgrades of OTR, it will currently require a full replacement of the User Folder - which will cause any modifications to be lost.

BUT - with all of that said, it is important to view OTR as a solution to not having to mod Reaper ever again. And while the modder-mind is who Reaper most easily attracts, the goal is to make OTR somewhat of a super-user folder with any and all mods needed for improvements to workflow. In that way, OTR could be viewed similar to how other software developers release updates over time. Reaper will make updates which will improve the user experience of the audio engine itself, while OTR will make updates that will be focused on workflow improvements for the people actually using the brilliant software the Reaper devs have created.

In that, OTR could be seen as a baseline piece of software for the composer community here with any and all suggestions being added to it over time. Think of it as a community-led software development process. I certainly have plans to add additional features, so this is just the beginning :thumbsup:

Very impressive work. You've taken Reaper ( a great DAW already) to a completely new level. OTR is a gift to a composer who is using Reaper. All the best with future development.

It's seems impressive !!
From a marketing point of view, as a beginner (both in Reaper and music composition), I don't feel like I'm the "target customer" with this offer.

That's not a big issue (lots of functionnalities seem to be way beyond my needs/understanding), but I feel like I could really use a beginner template at a reasonable price (say, 49$).

I searched for Reaper orchestral template and found nothing (maybe it's deeply buried in the Cockos forum, that's a possibility :) ), so maybe there's a niche for that.

It's seems impressive !!
From a marketing point of view, as a beginner (both in Reaper and music composition), I don't feel like I'm the "target customer" with this offer.

That's not a big issue (lots of functionnalities seem to be way beyond my needs/understanding), but I feel like I could really use a beginner template at a reasonable price (say, 49$).

I searched for Reaper orchestral template and found nothing (maybe it's deeply buried in the Cockos forum, that's a possibility :) ), so maybe there's a niche for that.

More or less in the same situation as Mars.... I do not need a huge template for my productions but your work looks excellent... consider a smaller template for Reaper newbies and people who don't need lots of tracks...

Cheers, Max T.

Thanks @Mars and @Massimo for the well wishes.

If neither of you mind, could you elaborate on "smaller template?" I certainly want to understand more and see if I can accommodate that idea. I'm definitely more than willing to explore that concept - I just don't know what you mean exactly. It is entirely possible to reduce the template down to, say, 5 categories versus 22, and subsequently remove the same number of VCA channels, but even then, all of the menus and everything else involved is still the same. It is part of the fundamental problem with DAWs and the composer's workflow. The idea I'm hoping to convey with OTR is it is not just a solution for professionals, but a solution for newcomers to just plug-and-play with all of the complexities tucked out of the way. Also in OTR, you only have to bring out the portions of the template you think you may use. Otherwise, normal workflows work just the same here too with everything else hidden from view. Maybe that is something I could demonstrate in a new video. :thumbsup:

In the coming week, I plan on putting together a "getting started" video and a more concise marketing video as @Joe_D suggested. Maybe I haven't managed to illustrate what all OTR does well enough (or concisely enough), and if you haven't hit those struggling points yet, then maybe it does seem overwhelming. I'm just thinking aloud as I ultimately hope that this is well received by beginners, professionals, and those somewhere in-between, alike. So any further thoughts as to what it is you would hope a smaller template would do for you would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to see where OTR might be missing from your workflow and how a smaller solution may help.

Really inspiring work. After digging into an insane rabbit hole of research these past two days I've decided Reaper is exactly what I was looking for in a daw and just how much b.s. I had become accustomed to dealing with in FL studio. Thank you so much, I will be looking into getting your project when it releases. Would you be willing to sell certain scripts separately as I find I need them?
I am a giant nerd and will take a ton of pleasure in scripting my own template ... But it's always nice to have a good foundation.

Really inspiring work. After digging into an insane rabbit hole of research these past two days I've decided Reaper is exactly what I was looking for in a daw and just how much b.s. I had become accustomed to dealing with in FL studio. Thank you so much, I will be looking into getting your project when it releases. Would you be willing to sell certain scripts separately as I find I need them?
I am a giant nerd and will take a ton of pleasure in scripting my own template ... But it's always nice to have a good foundation.
Thanks @Tysmall. I think you will be quite happy with Reaper (and OTR - but I'm a bit partial on this one ;)). The scripts are all written to work with the template, so it would not do much good in breaking them out separately. Everything about OTR is a built-from-the-ground-up template design for a Composer & VI Artist's workflow. The scripts are all written modularly to fit this template design and workflow. But that's part of the beauty in Reaper. Everything you do can be customized just for you! The idea behind OTR is to have a solution for all of the problems people face without having to create it themselves.

Hope that answers your question. I look forward to hearing how your journey with Reaper (and OTR) goes. :)

This looks pretty amazing, but I have to say that since Reaper is a poor man's DAW (and I mean this in terms of price, not functionality), I think the price of the template is far out of reach of the average Reaper using composer. My unsolicited two cents.

Wow really amazing work, I can't imagine how long this took. Being a Reaper user as well I am very impressed with how well thought out and clean everything is. I didn't have time right at this moment to go through the entire overview video, I might suggest making a shorter one that just speeds through the functionality so people can see what your template can do.

My other question is how this fits into a workflow that uses VE Pro?

This looks pretty amazing, but I have to say that since Reaper is a poor man's DAW (and I mean this in terms of price, not functionality), I think the price of the template is far out of reach of the average Reaper using composer. My unsolicited two cents.

robgb, Just because the price of Reaper itself is so low doesn't mean that the tools made for it can't be of very high quality. A lot of people using Reaper will have very high level plugins and instruments as well, and this tool is definitely not in the low level category, and even the price of the template + reaper is still cheaper than a lot of other DAWs, especially at the intro pricing.

robgb, Just because the price of Reaper itself is so low doesn't mean that the tools made for it can't be of very high quality. A lot of people using Reaper will have very high level plugins and instruments as well, and this tool is definitely not in the low level category, and even the price of the template + reaper is still cheaper than a lot of other DAWs, especially at the intro pricing.
I don't find a template—as terrific as it looks—to be worth $119, let alone over $200. Just my personal opinion. Others are obviously free to disagree.

Top Bottom