What's new

Zebra 2 vs omnisphere 2

my opinion only, but they are two very different approaches, and the results are different, or can be, but both sound really good.

The differences are not so much in the audio quality as the "ease" (not really the right word, but close) of creating your own sounds.

If pressed I'd guess:
- it is probably a little easier to find a sound in Omni
- it is probably a little easier (for me) to create a sound in Zebra, but I am learning to use Omni, Zebra just came more naturally.
- Omni probably has a slight edge for complex, evolving sounds
- Zebra has a slight edge with a few more techniques

For pads and atmospheres I'd probably start with Omni, for leads and especially plucks I'd start with Zebra. They can both sound awesome, and it is probably nigh impossible to make a poor choice.

And remember, my opinion could well be based on my own shortcomings<G>!

Both are essential for modern media composition. Zebra being all synthesis except for wavetables and Omni incorporating samples. For instance Zebra can do some really good FM synthesis, awhile Omni can granulate samples for Atmos and Textures. Both sport excellent patch libraries available like The Unfinished series for both.

Between the two, pretty much all your synthesis needs are covered except for maybe extended granulation of multi-sampled patches like in HALion and Avenger, but hey get those two as well and you're set for LIFE!

The difference:
Zebra is a synth, Omnisphere isn't a synth.

What makes you think Omnisphere is not a synth?

To the opening poster:

It is all really about a matter of taste and workflow. Both can do incredible things. Both have their own unique sound and approach and both have been used by a large amount of professionals doing all kinds of stuff with it. It really comes down to what you would need in your own productions and how it will fit your workflow. Maybe you can give a bit insight in that and we can help out maybe with pointing out a few things for you :)

The difference:
Zebra is a synth, Omnisphere isn't a synth.
Omnisphere is a rompler (and now u can use your own samples) with great synth functions, like in Kontakt Sampler ... , where u can manipulate samples with synth functions too. I personally like Zebra much more than Omni, but I have heared a lot of great stuff what was done in Omni. I think both are worth to try out and use .... .

Gunther, my friend, allow me to correct you: Aside from the rompler side, there is a (very good) synth engine in Omnisphere that does not use samples, rather DSP-generated waveforms, just like Zebra, Diva, etc (rhymes better if you pronounce the names!). There are many cool presets in Omnisphere that do not use samples at all.

And for the OP, I love them both. Asking to choose between them is like asking a parent which child they prefer!! I say get the two.

Gunther, my friend, allow me to correct you: Aside from the rompler side, there is a (very good) synth engine in Omnisphere that does not use samples, rather DSP-generated waveforms, just like Zebra, Diva, etc (rhymes better if you pronounce the names!). There are many cool presets in Omnisphere that do not use samples at all.

And for the OP, I love them both. Asking to choose between them is like asking a parent which child they prefer!! I say get the two.
Ned, I didn't know this because I have not bought Omnisphere, but as I said, I like its sound also very much, why I wrote "Ferrari vs Lambo" ... . Maybe now it is time for me to check Omni out? Thank you for the hint, Ned, my friend!

Last edited:
Omnispheres is definitely not a rompler.

Zebra and Omni are very different, I ended up with both for that reason. One is not better then the other. They both make great sound, but Omni comes with a ton more presets so if you're more of a preset player, or make small easy tweaks, Omni will be much easier to program in general. A real synthesist will say that Zebra is more straightforward and flexible to do many cool things for those that really know what they're doing with synthesis, and not even close to the same number of presets as Omni. Also Omnispheres tends to have a lot of cool sounds that are synthy and atmospherey, etc, but based on samples such as a string section or choirs or acoustic piano, etc.. You might think of those particular sounds are romplerish, but you can do a lot more with Omni's synth engine then is typical with a rompler. And then there are the wave tables and all the included filters and modulation possibilities, etc.. way more then a rompler.

Here's how I'd put it:

1) Omnisphere is a synth, but it doesn't always create synth sounds using pure synthesis.
2) Omnisphere is like a ROMpler in that it often combines samples with synthesis, but the resulting sound is rarely like that of a ROMpler. (That's why you don't often see Omnisphere vs. SampleTank threads.)

Best,

Geoff

I haven't gone thru all 1,000 sounds but it seems that the new Hardware Section of Omnisphere is almost entirely made by synthesis on waveforms.
rsp

Top Bottom