Your suggestions for pair of studio monitors for up to $4000.

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by fustrun, Jun 21, 2018.

1. fustrun

fustrun Active Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Hey guys! looking to buy a pair of monitors (in an acoustically controlled environment), kindly note that i would love to buy something cheaper but $4000 is the max i can go for but would rather spend around $2500 if possible.

Shoot ...

Thanks!

2. fiestared

fiestared Vintage -but- not obsolete

Aug 18, 2013
    France
    PSI Audio

N.Caffrey likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    fustrun

fustrun Active Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I should also add that the room will be pretty small

4. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Some suggestions that are well worth investigating: PSI Audio, Geithain RL906 (my personal favourites), Neumann KH 120, Focal Twins, Amphion One18.

5. tav.one

tav.one Brown Composer

Dynaudio LYD 48 3 way monitors

dtcomposer likes this.
  6. jmauz

jmauz Member

I've been using Focal CMS65's with the matched sub for a few years now. My home studio is smallish and this system is perfect. I think I paid around $3K total for the 2.1 system, I'm sure it's cheaper now. I write all sorts of genres - orchestral, EDM, rock, folk, R&B, latin, you name it. Highly recommended!

7. sinkd

sinkd Senior Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Western North Carolina
    Can't weigh in with any comparisons, but the Dynaudio 3-ways are surprising. We use the Focal Twins for mid field and they are stellar.

8. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    do they need to be powered speakers or will you use an amp?

9. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    You can aslo try Eve audio

kmaster likes this.
  10. Studio E

Studio E Eric Watkins

I love my Focal Twins and my cousin has the CMS65's which sound amazing as well. I did add the matching sub and I love having it for adding sub bass.

JohnG likes this.
  11. N.Caffrey

N.Caffrey Senior Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I used them for months.. Loved them, they're so good! Had to leave that studio and got the Neumann KH120.. the difference is noticeable.

fiestared likes this.
  12. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

Is this more for mixing or composing? I'm a big fan of Dynaudios because I find them very neutral but they're probably not the most detailed. I don't like the older Dynaudios like the BM6a but am always happy to work on the newer ones. Would be a fantastic choice if you're mostly composing.

A year ago I went around to the various shops in LA to hear as many monitors as I could. The larger Amphions sounded very nice and somewhat similar to the Dynaudios but once again not the most detailed. I really didn't like the smaller Amphions. Out of everything I heard (Genelec, Focal, Unity...) the only 2 that I would consider getting were ATC or Barefoots. To me, they give you all the information you need but I don't find either of them to sound very neutral. I wouldn't want to just listen to music on them. I'd consider getting the Footprints. They're very nice, compact, and with great low end extension. Same Barefoot sound but much cheaper.

The other speaker I'd consider is the JBL 705p and 708p. The 705p has some port resonance which apparently the 708p doesn't but I've never heard the 708p. I've been using a pair of 705p for the past 2 months as my main speakers are down for repair and they get the job done. I definitely wouldn't master on them though. Having the built in DSP is great if you're not using any other DSP unit. I wouldn't use any speaker without DSP. The 705p are tiny but they have a pretty good low end extension that they can go ridiculously loud. They're at the same level as my main speakers (which have a 10" mid and a 10" sub) and I've never clipped them. Other speakers like the little Neumanns couldn't handle this level. Once my main speakers are back up the 705p will be used as my surrounds replacing the LSR 305 I have there now.

jamwerks and JaikumarS like this.
  13. Ethos

Ethos Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I'll be getting the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon passive monitors with RAAL ribbons in the next few weeks. It's not marketed as a pro audio speaker, but it's more detailed and transparent than any other I've heard in the price range.

14. colony nofi

colony nofi Senior Member

Jul 19, 2012
    @Ethos please report back :). Colour me intrigued.

Ethos likes this.
  15. tabulius

tabulius Active Member

Amphions, you won't regret it.

16. Vik

Vik Scandi Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I'm a big fan of my Genelec 1031A pair, I can certainly recommend them but I haven't compared them directly with other and newer monitors. The only possible downside with them is that you don't get full value /optimum sound quality if you need to work at low levels.

17. fiestared

Aug 18, 2013
    France
    N.Caffrey likes this.
  18. fiestared

Aug 18, 2013
    France
  19. Ryan

Ryan Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Oslo
    Thought I'll chime in here. I bought a pair of PSI A17-M two weeks ago. Just WOW.. They are perfect. Again.. Wow! Love them. I also used 3 years of research / hearing monitors before deciding. upload_2018-6-25_13-0-10.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    JaikumarS and N.Caffrey like this.
  20. N.Caffrey

N.Caffrey Senior Member

Mar 15, 2016
    They're the best

Ryan likes this.