What's new

Your opinion on Noteperformer 3

FrenchTubist

Pierre Basso
It is definitely worth it. I use it in Sibelius and Dorico. It is definitely good enough to write with. It isn't going to give $10k of samples any competition, but that isn't the point. It transforms a lifeless playback into something close enough that your mind will fill in what it will sound like. You can definitely judge whether the dynamic markings are correct, if you've got orchestration problems, etc. As a working tool, I'd highly recommend it. The price is fantastic. You can't use it to deliver a mockup. But to deliver a score, or to write a complete piece and know it will work? Definitely.

It is definitely worth it. I use it in Sibelius and Dorico. It is definitely good enough to write with. It isn't going to give $10k of samples any competition, but that isn't the point. It transforms a lifeless playback into something close enough that your mind will fill in what it will sound like. You can definitely judge whether the dynamic markings are correct, if you've got orchestration problems, etc. As a working tool, I'd highly recommend it. The price is fantastic. You can't use it to deliver a mockup. But to deliver a score, or to write a complete piece and know it will work? Definitely.
Thanks for your help! I will really consider to buy it !

Useful as a rough mockup tool but you're limited to Noteperformer samples which are nowhere near the quality of samples you'll be able to acquire when you're doing your mockups in a DAW.

Brilliant. I was doodling around with it the other night and did a classical overture type piece for fun and the impression was very impressive. Let's just say that I wouldn't bother mocking it up with samples as this was close enough and much faster.

Honestly, NotePerformer blows my mind. Yes, it will not compete with thousands of dollars and many hours spent on a midi mockup (and years of learning skills, mind you); but for an immediate interpretation of a written score, it is pretty phenomenal. I can't imagine the amount of work that has been put into it. The orchestral dynamics and balance are quite accurate, and just thinking about the amount of hidden voodoo that must be going on in the background to achieve what it does makes me shudder. For the price I think it's a no-brainer - it is leagues ahead of any notation software's default playback, and I feel it will be quite some time before anything tops it.

Last edited:
Any idea which Notation Program does NotePerformer 3 work/Integrate best with ?
At the moment it's Sibelius. Noteperformer in Finale and Dorico is still in beta and on the website is listet what doesn't work up to now. But I think it's just a question of a few updates.

At the moment it's Sibelius. Noteperformer in Finale and Dorico is still in beta and on the website is listet what doesn't work up to now. But I think it's just a question of a few updates.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have zero experience with any of these notation programs, If I was to choose one, I would like it to be easy to use, and integrates very well with Note Performer 3, should I wait for Dorico or Finale to be better integrated via future updates ? or is Sibelius the way to go ? or ... ? It's not easy for me to evaluate/pick one of these three.

I have Dorico and Noteperformer works. There are some missing features... i.e. soft strings doesn't sound soft, it's full vibrato all the time. Or multiple articulations (like an accent and a slur on a note) are ignored... things like that. Mainly interpretation fine tuning. I started with Dorico a few month ago and it takes time to dive into an app like this. The complexity is comparable to a DAW. Same with Sibelius and Finale. Takes time, so when I think I'm feeling home in Dorico the Noteperformer integration will be done.

I also have Sibelius but I never really dived into. Lots of functions are added over years but they feel like 'added functions'. Dorico feels better organized from the ground up and it's looking great. I wrote all my stuff in Logic but the editing time is awful (too much mouse work for correcting slurs and overlapping graphic elements etc). Dorico is a great time saver there.

Somebody has a idea when the complete version for Finale will be released ? Because the beta version seems to be very instable with Finale with a lot of bugs and latence problems, which is not really cool...

Im impressed:

For a while, I was just asking me if it wasn't a recording of the L.A Orchestra and then I realised that was effectively the sound of the software ! It's really an impressing stuff... We are here very far of the poor quality of Finale's basic-sample !

For a while, I was just asking me if it wasn't a recording of the L.A Orchestra and then I realised that was effectively the sound of the software ! It's really an impressing stuff... We are here very far of the poor quality of Finale's basic-sample !
To be honest, at first I didn't believe the youtube post above. But I downloaded the file posted on youtube and got a 30day trial of note performer, and lo and behold, it sounded exactly like the video. Im definitely purchasing noteperformer now.

Probably wouldn't work.
Only if you save as audio and bring into the DAW that way to mix with other samples. But why? Its a great tool for what it does inside the notation software. And a great tool to use for experimenting with various orchestrations and to hear isolated sections which would be rather hard to do any other way.

Top Bottom