Your opinion on Noteperformer 3

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by FrenchTubist, Jul 12, 2018.

1. cmillar

cmillar Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Hey!....don't be too harsh on yourself. That sounds way better and more 'real' than a lot of other orchestral pieces done with software libraries.

If that was actually used in the background of a film or documentary, I think it would 'fool' most people into thinking that it's a real orchestra....depending on the context. I mean...most of the audience will never know anyways, right? It sounds very nice!

And, there are some processing and mastering plugins that could make it sound even more 'real' and with more presence and 'air'.

NotePerformer is pretty awesome, as is shown with what you've done.

2. Wallander

Wallander Active Member

May 13, 2007
    Starting with NotePerformer 3, we don't actually limit the number of concurrent installations (for the individual license).

So you only need to worry about your notation program's restrictions in this regard.

The site license is the opposite way around. You have a fixed number of installations/seats but no number-of-users limit.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  3. Michael Antrum

Michael Antrum Only the good die young....

Thanks for clarifying. I have two desktop rigs and a laptop - and one of the desktops is much more comfortable to sit at for longer preiods than the one with all the equipment attached.

Now all I need is some time to put the trials through their paces..... Hopefully my diary will clear next week.

Wallander likes this.
  4. Wallander

Wallander Active Member

May 13, 2007
    Just to mirror my email, for reference, we can't share the .sib files. Even if the underlying music is in the public domain, the Sibelius files are master copies of publisher's scores which may not be re-distributed. I realise this may not be entirely obvious, as this is a common question I get, but you're obviously not allowed to photocopy a recent B&H published edition of a Beethoven symphony, either. And these are master copies for such an edition.

And to answer the question, none of the classical scores used to produce our demo tracks were tweaked in any artistic manner, but they're just like the editions you'll find on IMSLP. If you exclude the basic stuff, such as lowering the Espressivo setting in Sibelius, and making sure dynamic markings e.g. "Allegro" produces an appropriate tempo. Occasionally the word "cresc." may have been supplemented with a hairpin, as text won't affect dynamics playback in Sibelius. But that's not specific to NotePerformer but a general notation-program limitation.

But as Rob said, you need to add the appropriate details, e.g. slurs, dynamics and articulations, to make sure the score is actually in line with your musical visions. NotePerformer won't fill in any blanks for you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    dcoscina likes this.
  5. omiroad

omiroad Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    That would be part of scoring itself...

6. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Arne, I was recently sent a .sib file that contained triplets and sextuplets and it wasn't playing smoothly. I had to add slurs above the triplets and then it played smoothly. However, the person who sent the file said it played fine on his system without the added slurs. It wasn't CPU load as it occured with just single violin line. Any idea what might be causing this?

btw, I absolutely love NotePerformer. I would recommend anyone sitting on the fence, to jump as quickly as you can and get it. Its the best program I've ever purchased.

Wallander and dcoscina like this.
  7. dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    It’s the best thing that has happened to notation programs. Ever

Wallander likes this.
  8. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    With Dorico, I like the idea of being able to make the first draft with NP, then edit the Played Duration part of the notes (both start and end points) and adapt the score to a traditional library (like VSL).

What will happen to NP's interpretation, when Played Durations no longer match the Notated Durations, and match the way the score would be recorded in a DAW?

Paolo

jackifus likes this.
  9. Wallander

Wallander Active Member

May 13, 2007
    May I ask which instrument this is, and whether you're using NP3 or some other NP version?

We have some quite significant issues with note timing with e.g. guitars in NP3, in particularly when combining slurs and non-slurred notes if I remember correctly, which have been addressed for the next update. And if you're on Windows, make sure you're not using the "Direct Sound" audio device in Sibelius. And the obvious is to make sure "Live Playback" is turned off, in case it's a MIDI file import with irregular note starts.

10. Rob

Rob Senior Member

Aug 23, 2007
    yes, but if you rely on imported scores, you might have to add phrasing yourself...

11. Wallander

Wallander Active Member

May 13, 2007
    Dorico adjusts the note lengths according to its own algorithms, from Play > Playback Options. The result is reflected in Play mode.

NotePerformer actually reverse-engineers all these changes made by Dorico, assuming the default Playback Settings, and imposes its own changes instead. So if a non-slurred Dorico note is 85% of the full note length, NotePerformer first calculates what the notated duration really should be, and then does its own processing instead. Because very often NotePerformer will not shorten non-slurred notes at all, and other times it may shorten them a lot more.

So the note lengths you see in Play mode don't quite reflect what you hear with NP. But regardless, any changes you make will scale the note relatively, so you can still do this. But please don't change the length of slurred notes! You could get glitches if the transition times don't match.

When you export a MIDI file from Dorico, the MIDI file will reflect the note lengths you see in Play mode. Which have been processed by Dorico, but not by NotePerformer. So technically speaking the note lengths in the exported MIDI file will match neither NotePerformer or the notated duration.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  12. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    The instrument is the violin I and II (tempo 152) using NP3. I'm running on a Hacintosh i7, 4-core 64G RAM. The audio card is MOTU PCI-424 to MOTU 2408.

The notes were entered into Sibelius so its not a MIDI file import. Live Playback is switched off.

13. Wallander

Wallander Active Member

May 13, 2007
    Maybe your system is too powerful.

On a more serious note, I'm not quite sure what would cause this. If you'd like me to have a look at the score, I'm happy to do so. Easiest would be if you attach the .sib file for me in an email to support at wallanderinstruments com.

FrenchTubist likes this.
  14. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Arne, more and more NP appears as an incredibly smart work or technological art!

Paolo

Saxer and Wallander like this.
  15. Michael Antrum

Well, I've just bought the Sibelius crossgrade from Notion (there was a small discount on yesterday that helped push me), so I'm just going to get myself down with the basics (the explode function looks very handy for part writing) and then I'm very much looking forward to putting Noteperformer through its paces.

Wallander likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    FrenchTubist

FrenchTubist Pierre Basso

Jul 10, 2018
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Thanks guys for all your replies... I will seriously consider the purschase of Note Performer 3 in the future, when the product will be released in his full version for Finale (maybe I will switch to Sibelius soon for this reason...:emoji_laughing:). Considering the price, I think it's a very good deal !

17. Michael Antrum

I bought it yesterday, and am using it with Sibelius. I'm still doing baby steps just now, but so far it is more than living up to all the hype.

Price wise - well, it's very inexpensive for what it does....

stprodigy, Wallander and FrenchTubist like this.