1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion on Noteperformer 3

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by FrenchTubist, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:45 AM.

1. FrenchTubist

FrenchTubist Pierre Basso

Jul 10, 2018
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Hi! I would like to improve the quality of my VST library in Finale. I have the basis version and it´s really awful when you have to write for a big ensemble. So I´m asking your opinion if it´s good and if it´s worth to pay the 100€ asked to have it. And if you have other ideas, please, feel free to share them !

This is the consequence of the following discussion:
    https://vi-control.net/community/th...-the-most-suitable-for-me.73167/#post-4254372

2. Nathanael Iversen

Nathanael Iversen Senior Member

Mar 25, 2013
    It is definitely worth it. I use it in Sibelius and Dorico. It is definitely good enough to write with. It isn't going to give $10k of samples any competition, but that isn't the point. It transforms a lifeless playback into something close enough that your mind will fill in what it will sound like. You can definitely judge whether the dynamic markings are correct, if you've got orchestration problems, etc. As a working tool, I'd highly recommend it. The price is fantastic. You can't use it to deliver a mockup. But to deliver a score, or to write a complete piece and know it will work? Definitely.

devonmyles and FrenchTubist like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    FrenchTubist

Jul 10, 2018
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Thanks for your help! I will really consider to buy it !

4. joebaggan

joebaggan Senior Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Useful as a rough mockup tool but you're limited to Noteperformer samples which are nowhere near the quality of samples you'll be able to acquire when you're doing your mockups in a DAW.

FrenchTubist likes this.
  5. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
  6. Gerbil

Gerbil Senior Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Brilliant. I was doodling around with it the other night and did a classical overture type piece for fun and the impression was very impressive. Let's just say that I wouldn't bother mocking it up with samples as this was close enough and much faster.

FrenchTubist likes this.
  7. Blakus

Blakus Senior Member

Honestly, NotePerformer blows my mind. Yes, it will not compete with thousands of dollars and many hours spent on a midi mockup (and years of learning skills, mind you); but for an immediate interpretation of a written score, it is pretty phenomenal. I can't imagine the amount of work that has been put into it. The orchestral dynamics and balance are quite accurate, and just thinking about the amount of hidden voodoo that must be going on in the background to achieve what it does makes me shudder. For the price I think it's a no-brainer - it is leagues ahead of any notation software's default playback, and I feel it will be quite some time before anything tops it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 5:17 PM
  8. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Any idea which Notation Program does NotePerformer 3 work/Integrate best with ?

9. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    At the moment it's Sibelius. Noteperformer in Finale and Dorico is still in beta and on the website is listet what doesn't work up to now. But I think it's just a question of a few updates.

FrenchTubist likes this.
  10. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the feedback.

I have zero experience with any of these notation programs, If I was to choose one, I would like it to be easy to use, and integrates very well with Note Performer 3, should I wait for Dorico or Finale to be better integrated via future updates ? or is Sibelius the way to go ? or ... ? It's not easy for me to evaluate/pick one of these three.

11. Nathanael Iversen

Nathanael Iversen Senior Member

Mar 25, 2013
    It works fine in Dorico, I just did a three minute orchestral piece in it last week with Note Performer 3. No issues.

FrenchTubist and muziksculp like this.
  12. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    I have Dorico and Noteperformer works. There are some missing features... i.e. soft strings doesn't sound soft, it's full vibrato all the time. Or multiple articulations (like an accent and a slur on a note) are ignored... things like that. Mainly interpretation fine tuning. I started with Dorico a few month ago and it takes time to dive into an app like this. The complexity is comparable to a DAW. Same with Sibelius and Finale. Takes time, so when I think I'm feeling home in Dorico the Noteperformer integration will be done.

I also have Sibelius but I never really dived into. Lots of functions are added over years but they feel like 'added functions'. Dorico feels better organized from the ground up and it's looking great. I wrote all my stuff in Logic but the editing time is awful (too much mouse work for correcting slurs and overlapping graphic elements etc). Dorico is a great time saver there.

13. OP
    OP
    FrenchTubist

Jul 10, 2018
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    Somebody has a idea when the complete version for Finale will be released ? Because the beta version seems to be very instable with Finale with a lot of bugs and latence problems, which is not really cool...

14. jemu999

jemu999 Senior Member

Jun 4, 2011
  15. OP
    OP
    FrenchTubist

Jul 10, 2018
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    For a while, I was just asking me if it wasn't a recording of the L.A Orchestra and then I realised that was effectively the sound of the software ! It's really an impressing stuff... We are here very far of the poor quality of Finale's basic-sample !

jemu999 likes this.
  16. omiroad

omiroad Senior Member

Oct 17, 2016
    It's really good for what it is, and the updates don't shy away from making big changes in order to improve the sound, so it should only become better in the future. As a bonus, the update from 2 to 3 was free.

jemu999 likes this.
  17. jemu999

jemu999 Senior Member

Jun 4, 2011
    To be honest, at first I didn't believe the youtube post above. But I downloaded the file posted on youtube and got a 30day trial of note performer, and lo and behold, it sounded exactly like the video. Im definitely purchasing noteperformer now.

Saxer likes this.
  18. MrCambiata

MrCambiata Senior Member

Apr 17, 2013
    After trying out the demo I bought Note Performer. I think it gives you a good idea of how your music will sound live.

muziksculp likes this.
  19. RandomComposer

RandomComposer Senior Member

Mar 29, 2018
    It would be great if there was some way to use Noteperformer with other samples

20. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Probably wouldn't work.