1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion about Zebra 2

Discussion in 'VIRTUAL SYNTHS: Omnisphere, U-he, Reaktor, etc.' started by AMAROK13, Sep 14, 2018.

1. AMAROK13

AMAROK13 Active Member

Sep 2, 2018
    What do you think of this Vst?

He looks very powerful and sounds sound quite advanced and evolved apparently.

A very particular grain.

On the other hand the grip does not look simple.

2. DivingInSpace

DivingInSpace Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    It is by no means simple, but is probably capable of producing some of the most organic and beautiful sounds in the world, only beat by actual acoustic instruments and omnisphere maybe.

3. Divico

Divico Senior Member

Its one of the most popular synths for film scoring I'd say. Not simple but very powerful.
    If I am not mistaken Uhe offers a free upgrade for Zebra 2 owners once version 3 will be released.
    Hans Zimmer is a fan of Zebra. Check out Dark Zebra, an addon for Zebra 2 showing off patches from the Dark Knight.

4. OP
    OP
    AMAROK13

AMAROK13 Active Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Thank you for your reply.

According to the videos and tutos viewed on the net, beautiful sounds indeed, but also very complex.

I'm surprised, however, that Omnisphere 2 could be superior to it compared to the fairly specific and specific possibilities of Zebra 2.

5. OP
    OP
    AMAROK13

AMAROK13 Active Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Thank you for your reply.

Also used in electronic music and Zebra produces breathtaking sounds (Leads / Plucks / Pads) among others its immense capabilities.

But what can put off, the complexity of the grip of this Vst that abounds with sound possibilities.

I will consult that.

Many patches marketed excellent qualities also

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Zebra is extremely simply laid out despite its possible complexity. It is not overbearing, it shows you only what is used in the patch, for the most part (bottom section is fixed, but the generators and modulators panes are laid out pretty smart).

7. gussunkri

gussunkri Member

Jun 28, 2018
    I consider Zebra 2 to be my main workhorse synth and my desert island synth. It is complex, but I actually do not find it very difficult. There may be other synths which are more powerful within their niche, but Zebra is so flexible so it can take on almost any role. I love starting with a blank slate in Zebra and just build a sound that I have in my head from scratch.

Because the demo version of Zebra is not very restricted (and allows saving presets), I would recommend trying it for yourself, rather than listening to what people say here.

DivingInSpace likes this.
  8. zvenx

zvenx Senior Member

I think this applies to ppl who have license of Zebra2 + Dark Zebra (Zebra HZ).

rsp

D Halgren and Divico like this.
  9. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    It's made by U-He, so you know it's outstanding. Easily my favourite softsynth, along with Omnisphere 2.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  10. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Zebra/HZ is my favorite synth, easily. I loved its sound and workflow so much I just had to study the user manual paragraph by paragraph, and took a terrifically helpful course on ADSR to learn even more. My introduction to this synth was through the film Dark Knight, and it really acted as a muse for me.

I should mention, this synth (and probably all U-he synths) have a pretty distinctive sound. For something more vanilla you might try Omnisphere and/or Serum.

Ned Bouhalassa likes this.
  11. DivingInSpace

DivingInSpace Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    True, there is really no reason not to try the U-he products.

sostenuto and Wally Garten like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    AMAROK13

AMAROK13 Active Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Thank you for your answers.

Even if a little complex approach for me, seen, that at the base, I am more a consumer of patches and than ever made of sound programming, all these modules seem to me abstained.

But, it is true, the essential is displayed and a question of habit and manipulation and use of the Vst must bring a logic of operation compared to the sound construction.

Zebra 2 seems like Omisphere 2, won all votes.

Indeed, the tutorials of ADSR are really excellent and very pedagogical.

In fact listened to Zebra Dark and not bad at all too.

Really Vst very powerful and inspiring in any case this Zebra 2.

13. OP
    OP
    AMAROK13

AMAROK13 Active Member

Sep 2, 2018
    On the other hand if that is a little special and that I do not understand well, it is the installation of the soft and banks of sounds.

I'm under Fl Studio 12 and my Vst are put in the Vst \ plug ins x86 location and my soundbanks in my document folder.

On the other hand if that is a little special and that I do not understand well, it is the installation of the soft and banks of sounds. I'm under Fl Studio 12 and my Vst are put in the Vst \ plug ins x86 location and my soundbanks in my document folder.

Windows

Presets (local) ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Presets\Zebra2\

Presets (user) ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\UserPresets\Zebra2\

Preferences ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Support\ (*.txt files)

Themes ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Support\Themes\ (skin folders)

Module presets ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Modules\

Microtuning ...\VstPlugins\u-he\Zebra2.data\Tunefiles\

To rigorously uninstall absolutely everything (including Zebralette / Zebrify), delete all the

above except the Mac Themes and Microtuning folders, which might be used elsewhere.

Important: If a realtime malware scanner such as Windows Defender is allowed to check

the Zebra2.data folder every time it is accessed, the new browser will become unusably

slow. In such cases, please add that folder to the exceptions list (we don't put executable

files in there). Mac owners running similar software should add all the above /u-he/Zebra2/

resource directories to the exceptions list.

My question is my next or should I install all this? Sorry me who is doing the installation of my machine and I am lost.

Same questioning for the banks of additional patches or do I have to put all these elements?

Installing the patches

Copy the "Transmission" folder from "Transmission Patches" to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Presets\Zebra2\

If you want to use the versions of the patches without reverb and delay effects, copy the "Transmission NoFX" folder instead.

Restart Zebra if it is running, and the Transmission folder and all sub-folders of patches and patch templates will now show up in your Zebra patch browser.

Installing the templates

The oscillator and MSEG templates go to a different place to be seen by Zebra. Go into the "Transmission Templates - MSEG Templates", select all the *.h2p files, and copy them all to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Modules\MSEG\

Then go into the "Transmission Templates - Oscillator Templates", select all the *.h2p files, and copy them to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Modules\Oscillator\

Note: Don’t copy the whole oscillator or MSEG templates folder itself into these paths, as they won’t show up - Zebra will only see template files in the root of the template directories. You need to copy all the template files inside their folders into the template paths above.

Installing the skin

Quit Zebra if it is running, and copy the Images and Scripts folders to:

C:\Program Files\u-he\Zebra2\Data\

This will overwrite the original gui, so we recommend you back up the original Images and Scripts folders before installing the Transmission skin.

Many thanks in advance for your help and explanations on the subject.

14. ChristopherDoucet

ChristopherDoucet Follow on Twitter @DoucetComposer

Jan 3, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UTAH
  15. OP
    OP
    AMAROK13

AMAROK13 Active Member

Sep 2, 2018
    I understand, this Vst seems very inspiring once mastering its mode of operation.

16. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    There are good YT tutorials for Zebra. Takes an hour to watch and the concept is clear. From there it's only a lifetime away to explore the possibilities.

Parsifal666 and studiostuff like this.
  17. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    One of the things that really helped me spread my wings with Zebra was studying up on how to modulate envelope parameters. I'd put LFOs on the decay and release and experiment with all kinds of audio rewards.

The more you put into learning and applying what you've learned in Zebra...the payoffs are large and ongoing.

18. OP
    OP
    AMAROK13

AMAROK13 Active Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Thank you very much for your advice, I will watch the video with great attention.

Regarding the installation of Zebra 2 and expansions, know how to tell you more?

19. wst3

wst3 my office these days

Apr 2, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I (finally) picked up Zebra2 this past summer. I've read all the glowing reviews, I've listened to too many well produced demos, and yet I waited.

Up until now I would say that Camel Audio (brief moment of silence) Alchemy was my favorite soft-synth. It seems like there is nothing it can not do. But is is discontinued for Windoze, and I'm not buying a Mac just for a synth.

I am still learning, but Zebra is rapidly gaining on Alchemy for the top spot in my synth list. They don't sound the same, they are both capable of creating wonderful sounds, and I am finding it much easier to learn how to program Zebra.

It probably isn't for everyone, and it might not be the ideal starting point, but it is a great sounding, very capable, and reasonably easy to use tool.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  20. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana

I still have my classic Alchemy, and love it like crazy. In some ways it's like Kontakt, and can certainly act as a synth. I find it baffling that Camel decided to kind of screw their old users the way they did, it's a fine v.i.