Your Final Judgements: Metropolis Ark 1

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Parsifal666, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Well, this library has been out for a little while and so far (until my refund) I've resisted (also because I already own and love libraries like EW Hollywood, Symphonic Choirs Platinum, BHOT, Albion III, etc. didn't feel it was necessary).

For people who've owned the Ark for awhile: what do you think of this library today?

Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    It's like: You already have the toolkit - except the sledge hammer.

3. Ark 1 is still one of my most revered and used libraries. Big, bold, clear sound that needs little eqing, for me, in final mix.

stprodigy, Parsifal666 and zimm83 like this.
  4. stixman

stixman Active Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Massive powerful got all 3 no regrets at all :)

Parsifal666, dpasdernick and zimm83 like this.
  5. benmrx

benmrx Senior Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Definitely one of the best library purchases I've made.

Parsifal666 and zimm83 like this.
  6. fretti

fretti Senior Member

Ark 1 is great. The only part where I am sad when talking about MA is that I don‘t own Part 2 and 3...jealous of you there;)

7. mac

mac Guest

The more time goes by, the more I realise just how damn good Ark is.

Parsifal666, zimm83 and fretti like this.
  8. fretti

fretti Senior Member

When you want to have details:
    The Brass is awesome. The 3 Tubas is just so damn powerful in the lows. The horns a9 can do nearly anything, quiet majestic and loud epic. The choir is for me just the best part ab out this library, outruns Hollywood choirs for me by miles (even though it has no word builder). When OT will (should) release a choir library it will be the industry standard for the next decade imo (when they can do what they did here with words etc.). The low strings in octaves are just bombastic they give you in one patch for what you normaly would need to stack libraries together (at least I do ;)). High strings are great too but I don‘t use them much tbh. The low woodwinds are awesome, complements the Brass great. Percussion is basically all you need for epic loud stuff. And the band is just a really cool bonus, great drum set, aggressive sounding guitars and bass. For epic stuff ( in all honesty): look no farther then Metropolis Ark 1 to 3

9. OP
    OP
    Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Geez, now I can't understand why I've gone so long without lol! Many thanks everyone!

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  10. Niah2

Niah2 Active Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I remembering watching the walkthrough video when it came and being blown away by the choir. It's bananas I say.

11. stixman

stixman Active Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Schwarzdorn Horns a9 and Koenigsberger Cimbassi are my favorourites.

TIM_STEVE_97 likes this.
  12. PeterKorcek

PeterKorcek Active Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Prague
    I think it's a great library - can really feel the punch, power from the sound.
    Choir and brass are probably highlights for me and go for them most often.
    No regret for this one :-D

13. VinRice

VinRice ... i am a robot ...

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    Brass and Choir are outstanding, use them all the time in all sorts of things. Woodwinds are limited but good. Not a fan of the string timbres. The guitar is a waste of time but the bass guitar is usable.

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  14. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I love it it's a useful toolkit but I cant use the strings very often (forced 8ve is just far too limiting) and as other's have said the timbre is pretty bold.

Ill disagree about the guitar being a waste, I think it's a fantastic textural addition for guitars in a hall. You'd obviously go to maybe Orange Tree if you needed dry guitar sounds.

Ark 2 and 3 are all-round fantastic. Ark 1 is less consistent but what is good in there is amazing (and the lack of legatos is a shame).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  15. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The female legato is incredibly useful in doubling a big melodic line-instant epic. Great for spaghetti western stuff.

16. wst3

wst3 my office these days

Apr 2, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    it's a cool library if you like working with ensemble type libraries - and I do, there's a certain cohesiveness you can't really get with individual sections.

I love all the brass, the low strings, and the choir. I really like the guitar and the low winds. The rest is on a par in terms of audio quality, but it has not yet been something I've been looking for. Someone mentioned the horns a9 - this is an amazing section!

All of these blend quite nicely with Orchestral Essentials, almost as it that was intended. With a little more effort Ark 1 blends nicely with CineBrass and CineWinds (core).

I am really glad I have this in the kit. It isn't first call every time, but when I need BIG or BOLD this is what I reach for.

stprodigy likes this.
  17. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The best part about Ark 1 is that it doubles as a laxative. If you're feeling a tad bunged up just crank up the low brass and voila, you're right as rain... it's bigger than a politician's ego and warmer than a puppy hug...buy it.

MChangoM, Hunter123 and Casiquire like this.
  18. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Please, PLEASE write my epitaph

19. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    The best thing about Ark 1 is the choirs. It's unreal how good they sound. They're also easy to use, and they sit perfectly in any mix.

The brass is the second best thing. It just sounds incredible, and there is a lot to choose from!

The only complaint I have with the Ark series is that it can be too wet at times. Once you start stacking instance after instance, you've got a lot of washy reverb bouncing all over the place. It makes it difficult to mix, especially in conjunction with other libs. It's something I always struggle with whenever I use Ark 1 or Ark 3. If you don't like wet libs, Ark is NOT for you! But If you can get passed that hurdle, Ark 1 will serve you well, and will add that kick to the nuts that your compositions may need.

PS. I HATE the guitar!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Si_Withenshaw likes this.
  20. SimonCharlesHanna

SimonCharlesHanna Senior Member

Feb 3, 2012