What's new

Your favourite Jerry Goldsmith score

Too many for me to name one.
Interestingly, I was listening to 'The Blue Max' yesterday. That main theme is brilliant, close you eyes and you can just visualize the emotional ups and downs of a WW1 fighter pilot in action...

Quote from HZ: "Loved Jerry! First composer I met in Hollywood, and he was really nice and encouraging. We talked synth. Total Recall is brilliant... so much great work from that man... "

Patton.

Half of our senior project in Film Scoring at Berklee in those days was to analyze a score. That's the one I chose. In addition to being brilliant musically, it's *so* clever intellectually - three themes played together to represent the different aspects of his personality (believed in reincarnation/destiny, religious man, military man).

I also transcribed a lot of it and learned an amazing amount from doing that.

The score is so deep and layered, and of course so is the film. It's an anti-war film.

Patton.

Half of our senior project in Film Scoring at Berklee in those days was to analyze a score. That's the one I chose. In addition to being brilliant musically, it's *so* clever intellectually - three themes played together to represent the different aspects of his personality (believed in reincarnation/destiny, religious man, military man).

I also transcribed a lot of it and learned an amazing amount from doing that.

The score is so deep and layered, and of course so is the film. It's an anti-war film.

What a great choice. A short score (perfectly timed) that never wears out its welcome. I have a great reissue of the score paired with Tora! Tora! Tora! (another very good one).

Another score JG should have won the Oscar for (not to forget Planet of the Apes earlier).

I had a kind of Jerry Goldsmith weekend. I watched both Rudy and Basic Instinct on cable and then caught LA Confidential on Netflix.

Goldsmith really is the epitome of what a film composer should aspire to in my opinion. He had such a great ability to write in such different styles so well, but at the same time somehow retain that distinct Goldsmith sound... and I think those 3 movies I watched are a great example of that.

It's nice to see he has so many fans here.

As I flipped by BASIC INSTINCT on cable yesterday, my wife and I stopped to laugh at the dialog, but soon started listening to the score.

It (and the fact that the print we were watching was uncut in the "Charge me with smoking..." scene) was the only redeeming element in the film. (I had heard the score several times before, but it was my first exposure to ALL of Sharon Stone's talent.)

That's not my favorite Jerry Goldsmith score. There are too many to list that I love.

I do stop what I'm doing to watch Chinatown every time I see it available... So put me down for Chinatown.

Me too. A lot better movie too

OMG SO I'M NOT TOTALLY CUCKOO! lol I thought Chinatown was very popular, though I never really cared for it much...despite the fact that Nicholson might be my favorite actor (Easy Rider, The Shining, Cuckoo's Nest, and quite a few more).

Even the score for CT doesn't really do that much for me...would have been cool if Rozsa could have scored that one imo.

(On bended knee, genuflecting in the shape of inverted crucifix):

I'm not worthy Godly Goldsmith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom