1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favourite Brass Library of 2017?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by axb312, Dec 5, 2017.

What is your favourite Brass Library of 2017?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2017.
  1. 8Dio Century Brass

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. Spitfire Symphonic Brass

18 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Orchestral Tools Berlin Brass

27 vote(s)
    22.3%
  4. Performance Samples Caspian Brass

18 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. Chris Hein Brass

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Native Instruments Symphonic Brass

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Cinesamples Cinebrass

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  8. ImpactSoundWorks Bravura Scoring Brass

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. ProjectSam Orchestral Brass Classic

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. EastWest Hollywood Brass

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  11. VSL Brass Bundle

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

Actually what Paul was talking about happens with other libraries, too. A limited version of a library might lack sampled articulations that have to be recreated with MIDI, or it might only have two dynamic layers instead of five. In the hands of a beginner, it could result in a pretty scary piece of music that unwitting VI users might interpret as a demo of a nasty-sounding library.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  2. I like music

I like music Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Have you ever used SM Brass in a larger context? I've heard a few demos where it sounded pretty good (Rico's Tiny Hero?) so wondered about it. I use HWB for larger stuff, but may try to work something larger with SM Brass. Never really thought about giving it a try.

3. Britpack50

Britpack50 Senior Member

May 26, 2016
    Thanks, very interesting. I guess the question with the upcoming Synchron libs is whether they will differentiate from the other wet libraries (Spitfire, CSS, OT etc.). I guess the player pro and MIR could be important there, although MIR less of a requirement? Pricing of course is the other, giving OT a run for their (or our) money would be interesting.

4. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Ochestral yes, trailer-epic no.

AlexanderSchiborr likes this.
  5. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    I definitely agree that it is possible to create wonderful music with the Special Edition products. It just takes a bit more skill and patience to do so. And one might have to compose "around" some of the weaknesses. I could post some links to marvelous music created with VSL Special Editions but that would be hijacking the thread. My point was that the products have a particular appeal to people new to samples due to the lower cost, and a person new to samples may not have the skill and patience of an experienced person such as yourself.

I love the VSL instruments. Especially the brass. I know I am in a minority, but despite having purchased many other sample libraries I keep going back to my VSL samples, as they are the absolute best for a "classical" approach IMHO.

6. Paul Grymaud

Paul Grymaud Senior Member

Mine's favorite (not yet sampled but great sound)

Troops BB.jpg

Jonas Hallstrom and sazema like this.
  7. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Senior Member

I was under the impression that the VSL Special Editions had the same number of velocity layers in their articulations, but the number of articulations included was less. Additionally the Special Editions were whole tone sampled, not semi tone like the full libraries.

Am I missing something?

8. Rodney Money

Rodney Money My wife made me cut my hair.

Mar 6, 2015
    There is no favorite for me, I mix and match for my different needs. Plus, with reverb and eq I can make the different libraries sound similar and blend with one another:
    Here's CineBrass:

Here's VSL:

Orchestral Tool's mutes:

And a mixture of Spitfire trombones and CineBrass Pro's Tbone Solo:

Paul T McGraw and LamaRose like this.
  9. Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    I don't have any of the SM products as of yet, but to this day some of the best brass renderings I've heard from others have been when they've combined a dry library like SM with a wet one like CB.

10. nicoroy123

nicoroy123 Senior Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Montreal
    Is this not the CineBrass 12 Horns patch I see right there ?

11. Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    Absolutely not. That right there is the beautiful, expressive and warm sounds of cornets, alto/ tenor horns, euphoniums, etc.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  12. I like music

I like music Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Perfect. Will give it a try in earnest.

13. Leon Portelance

Leon Portelance Composer | Songwriter

Jan 2, 2017
    Corning, California
    You’re missing Auddict Master Brass and Sample Modeling Brass.

14. Janos McKennitt

Janos McKennitt Member

Nov 20, 2017
    I use them at the moment quite often in larger contexts. Due to the concept of modelling the individual instruments, you can get a nice large section, BUT in my opinion it's not soudding perfect for the horns. Trombones and Trumpets in ensembles are quite great but I tend to put CineBrass under some sections if it should sound more "epic". But the nice thing is: you get the quite enormous sound of CB, but the legato-feeling of SM.

I like music likes this.
  15. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
    Nonsense. That's a Roland D-50 brass patch.

16. madfloyd

madfloyd Senior Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Same here. ?

17. Jonas Hallstrom

Jonas Hallstrom Senior Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Anyone know of a good trumpet patch for soft p parts like John Williams' Saving private Ryan theme?
    (12 secs into the track)

And your favorite libraries for soft p or mp parts for brass in general?

18. Janos McKennitt

Janos McKennitt Member

Nov 20, 2017
    As far as I know the most articulations have just 2 velocity layers and are sampled with whole tone steps instead of halve tone steps. At least this was the situation years ago when SE 1 came out. But I may be mistaken.

@Jonas Hallstrom
    Look for Samplemodelling trumpets. They are really good and flexible for that kind of music.

Jonas Hallstrom likes this.
  19. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Wouldn't it be great to have a true "brass band" library with cornet sections, alto/tenor horns and true baritones?

20. Rodney Money

Mar 6, 2015
    CineBrass Core Trumpet solo was made for that sound.