What's new

Your favorite Zebra 2 soundsets?

Can you or anyone else elaborate on the Zebra Orchestra? There's not much out there in the way of reviews/demos, but what I've heard sounds great. Not exactly "real" like a quality sample library, but still great in a 21st century, postmodern orchestral sense. I'm guessing that it might blend really well & flexibly with samples for so-called hybrid music...

...Anyone using it? Is it worth $40? Half of me wants to get this along with Joseph Hollo's Padsheaven bundle, and half of me wants to get The Dark Zebra instead for about the same amount of $$$. Can't do both right now.

Zebra is pretty much blowing me away. For whatever reason I just jibe intuitively with it, and think I can use it to learn synthesis from the ground up, which I've never actually done.
If you buy Dark Zebra you get the Diva filters, and a free upgrade to Zebra 3...some day:thumbsdown:

+1 for Pads Heaven by @hollo
Love, love, love it.

I am going to get Nordsund (The Unfinished) at some point. Hopefully in the near future.

There are also an awful lot of free patches out there either completely free or a free subset for testing from a larger patch set. Hollo Sounds does this if you're interested in testing out some of those sounds to see if they "work" for you.

I've thought about buying some, but man I feel like I'm cheating if I'm not using completely original patches I've made...

In the recent HZ Roundtable video Hans admitted to doing all his previous zebra programming from scratch then one day re discovered how good the factory presets were:)

I've thought about buying some, but man I feel like I'm cheating if I'm not using completely original patches I've made...

In the recent HZ Roundtable video Hans admitted to doing all his previous zebra programming from scratch then one day he discovered how good the factory presets were:)

Oh I watched that, and believe me I resonated with that, almost a sigh of relief that I can cheat a little bit haha, I do use the Dark Zebra presets from time to time, but I always feel a little guilt when I post one in a track. Now Omnisphere on the other hand... I don't think I've ever made a patch on the thing, it's a preset monster lol.

Oh I watched that, and believe me I resonated with that, almost a sigh of relief that I can cheat a little bit haha, I do use the Dark Zebra presets from time to time, but I always feel a little guilt when I post one in a track. Now Omnisphere on the other hand... I don't think I've ever made a patch on the thing, it's a preset monster lol.

Yeah omnisphere i also use presets but you should definitely try things like the granular synth on there

Yeah omnisphere i also use presets but you should definitely try things like the granular synth on there

The granular is actually the only thing I'll use to make original sounds, it's very powerful, and it sounds amazing too.

I have "2" and "HZ"... factory sounds are great... I also have 3 or 4 sets from TheUnfinished. A great thing about his web site is that each set has a walkthrough video showing you ALL of the sounds in that set so you can preview them!

I see Synths as a composition tool... unlimited sounds available for my music, regardless of where they came from. I do some occasional tweaking... no actual sound design. I have great respect for the creative folks who can spend hours designing new sounds with powerful synth engines like Zebra, but can't understand people feeling like they are cheating if they use someone else's preset. To me that would equate to NOT USING as solo violin patch because it's not YOU playing the violin, or a piano VI because YOU did not build the piano that makes that sound!

Last edited:
So do you guys only use it with the presets? 'Cause if there is one thing i like about it, its the endless hours you can play with the synth and come up with crazy stuff myself. I can understand when it is a time issue, but i hope it is not a creativity issue...

Thomas
Zebra is only the second synth where I've made good use of the presets. I still prefer to program on my own, but the synth is complex, and the presets are really good. The other synth was the late, lamented (on Windoze) Camel Audio Alchemy. I learned so much from exploring their presets.

Don't forget the two from ISW. I haven't bought them yet as I own Diva and Re-Pro but not Zebra, but the audio demos are quite impressive, and loyalty discounts can often bring them down to almost nothing. They're a bit tricky to find at the site though, as the loyalty discount for Tetralogy embeds several other synth path libraries in one paragraph and it's all kind of jumbled together on the screen.

I have "2" and "HZ"... factory sounds are great... I also have 3 or 4 sets from TheUnfinished. A great thing about his web site is that each set has a walkthrough video showing you ALL of the sounds in that set so you can preview them!

I see Synths as a composition tool... unlimited sounds available for my music, regardless of where they came from. I do some occasional tweaking... no actual sound design. I have great respect for the creative folks who can spend hours designing new sounds with powerful synth engines like Zebra, but can't understand people feeling like they are cheating if they use someone else's preset. To me that would equate to NOT USING as solo violin patch because it's not YOU playing the violin, or a piano VI because YOU did not build the piano that makes that sound!
Amen to that!

Cluster by Sound Dust to quote my favorite Dragon is ridiculous!

😂

The soundset is really amazing,Pendle creates presets that are really unique,interesting and quite musical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom