What's new

Your Favorite Reverb?

Spaces hands down my favorite. I own the original and spaces II. I have the Valhalla stuff, standard logic plugins, and several others too. My real question is should I grab eventide Blackhole while it’s on sale at time space.com for $64..?
Blackhole is one of those “must haves.” The only other thing like it is Shimmer, but I much prefer Blackhole. A few years ago, they had a $49 sale, but I haven’t seen one since. It is $59 in cart from Audiodeluxe.

I posted in another thread, but as nobody answered I will ask here...

So how do you use the reverb/reverbs?
-Do you use the reverb from the built-in hall mics from the sample library?
-Do you use a reverb plugin and only use the close mics? or hall mics + reverb plugin?
-Do you use an insert reverb and a send reverb? only a send reverb?
-A short different reverb for each instrument and a long reverb for a send?

I posted in another thread, but as nobody answered I will ask here...

-Do you use the reverb from the built-in hall mics from the sample library?
-Do you use a reverb plugin and only use the close mics? or hall mics + reverb plugin?
-Do you use an insert reverb and a send reverb? only a send reverb?
-A short different reverb for each instrument and a long reverb for a send?

people will use everything you mentioned. it just depends what you are going for on specific compositions and also which libs you use.

What MarcelM says - all of the above.

The ear is capable of accepting a lot of different spaces in a single mix without it sounding artificial. Weird, but it's true, and that's why "pop" production has become such an advanced artform (not just the reverb, but all kinds of suspension of disbelief).

These threads always devolve into catalogs of what people have bought rather than why and how they're using specific reverbs/types of reverbs, and it does get a little frustrating sometimes. I mostly agree with Jimmy Hellfire when he says it doesn't matter what reverb you use - except that he put it more politely than I usually do. :)

Of course lousy reverbs sound cheap, and I suspect that Jimmy knows that and is just making the point that the original post is sort of a "can you eat bark" question and the answers are all "I bought birch tree on sale for $999 and it's bitchin' "... okay, great, but what are you really asking?

The truth is that you can slap on a bunch of the most expensive reverb known to man and have it sound like Total Arse™. Or you can use pre-Breverb reverb (i.e. before host-based reverbs could match stand-alone ones) and everyone will still hear the music way before the reverb.

So let me take another tack, in case anyone wants to bite: how do y'alls set up reverbs in your templates?

I would love to know how those trailer guys get that bigger than life reverb. I've tried myself a lot and can't match it. might be I don't have the right tools, but I doubt that a bit.

iam using different reverbs (aux channels) for all sections (predelay, decay, eq etc). long notes usually have a longer decay time than short notes.

also iam sending to two channels most of the time. for example a mid sized hall and a church.

for dry instruments iam using also an reverb insert and also then send to a reverb bus.

sometimes I have a have a small amount of reverb (plate) on the master to glue it all together, but not always.

well, hope you got what I mean :)

Blackhole is one of those “must haves.” The only other thing like it is Shimmer, but I much prefer Blackhole. A few years ago, they had a $49 sale, but I haven’t seen one since. It is $59 in cart from Audiodeluxe.
Earlier this week, it was $49 only on the Eventide web store. Guess I lucked out...seems strange it went up in price.

I would love to know how those trailer guys get that bigger than life reverb.

Big reverb, of course, but try using a long predelay. That creates a big space, and mainly it lets you use a giant reverb wash and still maintain the definition.

There are more answers, but that's the first one in the context of reverb.

Reactions: CGR
Spaces hands down my favorite. I own the original and spaces II. I have the Valhalla stuff, standard logic plugins, and several others too. My real question is should I grab eventide Blackhole while it’s on sale at time space.com for $64..?

What do you think of SPACES 2? I have Spaces 1, but can't tell if the upgrade price of $149 is worth it.

Will just post that Acon Verberate is on special at VST Buzz as part of a Black Friday promotion. They have a trial on Acon website if you want to test it.

Very underrated IMHO. I almost never see it talked about but I think it's more useful than some you do hear about. I'd say it's a very versatile verb. Not necessarily instant gratification reverb but can be dialed in to cover just about any task.

They record in a big room, or a church, for one thing. It already sounds "big" before any reverb gets added.

hmmm... I tried to play with predelay as nick mentioned before and it gets me a bit closer, but iam still not pleased with the result. so some things might not be possible with all the libs and effects we can buy? can't really believe it, but you may be right :/

LexPCM is the best in terms of balance and frequency clearness. It is my favourite reverb for orchestral works, and I tested a lot of them. B2 and FabFilter Pro-R are pretty good too. Pro-R is very clean and airy, B2 is a balanced reverb, which sounds pretty good, but very heavy in terms of CPU usage. I prefer Lexicon over B2, and Pro-R for electronic stuff.
I used Lexicon here:

and here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs8zolqufmvjuzz/Epic Timelpase.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion one where Vss3 ranks,
and the Lite version of Seventh Heaven - also the SP2016 ? I downloaded Earverb2 for a demo today as well.

I was thinking of Fabfilter Pro-R , its at $121 right now at BestService because I read that it was good at mixing different libraries together, which is the goal for me. I also do electronic and vocals.

I don't have a physical iLok so can't try the Seventh Heaven demo, but I'll request a Vss3 & sp2016 demo.
Any opinions ?

Last edited:
What do you think of SPACES 2? I have Spaces 1, but can't tell if the upgrade price of $149 is worth it.

That’s tough. I love spaces it’s in my personal top 10 plugins. So for me it was an instant purchase when it was released. It was move if a good thing, trusted IRs I like. I particularly like that the actual irl symphony hall I go to in the city is in the library. I can dial in a known location and know how should sound irl. I believe you can try it by doing the subscription for month or something like that.

Top Bottom