What's new

Your Favorite Reverb?

Sibelius19

Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy
I usually agree with the sort of sentiment you express. But I didn't interpret the comment that way. The notion that most any reverb will do, that the difference between verb A and verb B may well fail double-blind tests etc. is a valid opinion and an on-topic contribution to the discussion.

That's how I took it anyway...
I kind of agree here.

storyteller

I've been on a bit of a reverb quest over the last three or four years. Yesterday I listened to a few of my favorite mixes where I loved my reverb sound. These were back from 2008. Let me tell you... I was shocked to see my sessions! I only used DVERB inserts on every track. This was pop/rock.

No sends? What was I thinking?! Dverb? Really? Why did I do that?

It is not how I would ever mix today, but for some reason, it sounds better than anything I have tried to do since...

storyteller

FWIW - I also used the now-defunct URS Channel Strip Pro on every track. Such a great plugin back in the day! My favorite channel strip to date. I wish they would release a 64bit version!!!

I guess what I am saying is I need to just rewind back and channel my former mixing self circa 2008.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
FWIW - I also used the now-defunct URS Channel Strip on every track. Such a great plugin back in the day! My favorite channel strip to date. I wish they would release a 64bit version!!!

I guess what I am saying is I need to just rewind back and channel my former mixing self circa 2008.
Learner question pls …..

What about mixing /layering orchestral content with other tracks with different 'hall' ambiences?
Would you not use appropriate Reverb as desired ?

storyteller

Learner question pls …..

What about mixing /layering orchestral content with other tracks with different 'hall' ambiences?
Would you not use appropriate Reverb as desired ?
Depends what sound you are going for. Some tracks may not need an orchestral sound, but rather a chamber or studio sound. Then again, sometimes a wet hall is perfect. There really isn't a right answer. If I learned anything from looking back at those sessions I would say that whatever you do, keep it simple. :thumbsup:

MarcelM

seventh heaven, spaces, valhalla room, lexicon pcm, chroma

but i have to add that you can even get great results with any daw stock plugins.
best tools don't help if you don't know what you are doing and iam still learning. aren't we all? :)

MrHStudio

Reverb is the area I don’t have a favourite so use chroma and sound designer most I occasionally use waves reverb and irL and also have the metric halo one too. I keep thinking. Should buy something better but can only get one and choice is too great...

wolb1

As far as convolutions the IRs are more important than the plugin. Some may be easier to use than others or have nicer features but I don’t think they inherently sound different. I sampled a preset in altiverb with a spike and got it to completely null with Cubase Reverence. Correct me if I’m wrong or missing something...?

dgburns

summer of pickles and IPA beer
I'm looking for a reverb to use in VEP6 to help blend patches from different libraries. I have some FabFilter stuff and was thinking about adding their reverb, but figured it might be best to get some opinions first.

I just want to even them out before putting a convolution reverb on the whole stem.

Thoughts?
Actually, re-reading your question, I have a POV that might seem contrarian, and hopefully helpful.

The notion of trying to blend the entire spectrum of your sources might be the exact opposite thing to do. Here's the thing, in the case where you have many different sources, it might be better to push the strength of each library. Spitfire has a lot of room, well USE it. Sample modelling is very dry, well make it so. Blending libs with differing characteristics actually helps widen the aural appeal, IMHO. Many times I find I blend dryer stuff over the larger room sounds to get more detail out of a line. Or start with a line played by a more intimate sound, then have it grow by adding more players behind it. It feels like it activates the room and relieves me of using so much reverb. In fact the less reverb I can use, the better.
I'd never push a wet sounding instrument through a convo reverb, it's like two of the same thing. I certainly wouldn't push a dry sound through an algorithm reverb, THEN push it through a convo reverb. But I would put a dryer sound through a convo reverb if I wanted to get it into a space, then finish it with an algo reverb for the tail. This actually approximates what is done on a scoring stage- lot's of mic's feeding a board then having a lexicon or bricasti strapped across the mix.

I find I use Valhalla Room over the stems, set to a 2 sec (approx) tail, but it's more for finesse then trying to glue the whole doo-dang together. Seems I'm in good company as Junkie XL is doing the same.
I WILL use plenty of verb in certain circumstances, like an effect. For this I'll call up a Lexicon type highly modulated, big swirl with a really long tail. But it's an effect, and meant to be heard that way. Listen to '300 Rise of an Empire', there are transitions between scenes where the reverb just goes on forever. But here's the thing - it works! It's like a very long fade-out to black. B2 is really great for this kind of thing.

Convolution reverbs tend to be dark sounding, but I will use scoring stages if I'm in surround, especially for the rears if I need to up-mix something stereo into quad. I'll usually pull down the front part of those returns so I'm just trying to add something in the rear.

I actually hate utility reverb use. All of them sound fake to me. But I love it for long transitions. I'd separate the notion of reverb into two parts. Distance/localization, and space. Sometimes some cues need to be pulled back, so the very idea of an upfront sound is wrong. It makes sense behind dialog if the music sounds further away, as it's easier to justify it being lower in the mix. Never could stand for bombastic music turned down really low under dialog, it's such a contradiction of energies. Reverb helps you put things into perspective. Using it in a democratic way equally across all things is just plain wrong. Make things sound unique and individualistic. You have to fight to make your mix come alive and have separation.

AlexRuger

I've been on a bit of a reverb quest over the last three or four years. Yesterday I listened to a few of my favorite mixes where I loved my reverb sound. These were back from 2008. Let me tell you... I was shocked to see my sessions! I only used DVERB inserts on every track. This was pop/rock.

No sends? What was I thinking?! Dverb? Really? Why did I do that?

It is not how I would ever mix today, but for some reason, it sounds better than anything I have tried to do since...
Guessing, but you probably had less money/gear back then, so you did what you could with what you had. You were probably tailoring your mix around that specific reverb.

Also, reverb without sends certainly has its uses. If I'm trying to fake a convincing room sound, for example, I might put a small reverb directly on the track with the mix below 50% before my compressor.

storyteller

Guessing, but you probably had less money/gear back then, so you did what you could with what you had. You were probably tailoring your mix around that specific reverb.

Also, reverb without sends certainly has its uses. If I'm trying to fake a convincing room sound, for example, I might put a small reverb directly on the track with the mix below 50% before my compressor.
Less plugins - definitely. Strangely though I had more gear. Ha. But yes, you are probably right. If you know your tools really well, you can get a lot out of them (e.g. working with what I had).

I'm actually trying to narrow it down to my one goto verb, one primary eq, and a couple of favorite compressors right now for that very reason! I do not know my library of plugins as well as I once knew my old standbys! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I've also refound a fondness for Waves Renaissance EQ6 out of all of the EQs I have. If only the GUI was bigger...

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
Relab VSR S24 and Rare Signals Transatlantic Plate Reverb, as they sound the same as my favorite hardware reverbs.
Relab VSR is without a doubt my current favourite verb. To my ears it is like magic.

edit - But don't tell anyone. ;)

I have tried the Spaces II demo and liked it very much too. Will probably get it at some future date.

Last edited:

markleake

Recovering sale addict
Valhalla Room and Spaces here. Because they are what I have.

Both sound great for their purposes. Valhalla is nice and clear, can use anywhere. Spaces for adding more actual room character. Spaces chews up CPU though.

I agree with Jimmy that it probably doesn't matter which brand. Differences in the GUI and such can be useful, whether it's algorithmic or convolution, and the kind of special effects you can get out of it, these all matter to some extent. But really, unless the reverb you use sucks, they are all going to sound very similar, enough for most listeners to not even think about it, let alone notice your reverb sounds lIke an 'expensive' one.

What matters more is how much you use, how, and on what instruments, etc.

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Differences in the GUI and such can be useful, whether it's algorithmic or convolution, and the kind of special effects you can get out of it, these all matter to some extent. But really, unless the reverb you use sucks, they are all going to sound very similar, enough for most listeners to not even think about it, let alone notice your reverb sounds lIke an 'expensive' one.

What matters more is how much you use, how, and on what instruments, etc.
Well put Mark. I also have Spaces and Valhalla Room, and FOG Convolver (which is great for loading 3rd party IRs from Bricasti and Lexicon collections). I've spent the time to really get to know these plugins and where/how best to use them, so I don't feel I need anything else.

Top Bottom