1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite orchestral percussion library

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by kimarnesen, Dec 7, 2017.

1. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    I thought I was covered with large tam-tams with the Hanz Zimmer Percussion, but no, it doesn't sound right. And I could need a good orchestral percussion library anyway. So which one would you suggest?

2. Heroix

Heroix Senior Member

Dec 15, 2014
    i think you should add what kind of percussion and for what music style. i mean just orchestral or more on the epic side for example? makes quite a difference. hard to suggest anything without that info.

kimarnesen likes this.
  3. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    If you're searching for a traditional orchestral perc library, how about Hollywood Percussion, which is superb in my opinion! Really well recorded and a great, clear sound, but not too clinic, melodic instruments like glock and celesta have nice warmth. I've found it easy to mix with other libraries.

Another big orchestral percussion library is Berlin Percussion, which I dont have, but it is in my buy list. It has a lot of insruments and a lot of articulations. I've heard only good about it.

kimarnesen likes this.
  4. InLight-Tone

InLight-Tone Senior Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Check out the Cineperc bundle. Great clear sound and flexible mics. You can get a pretty dry sound out of it as well. Best for louder in your face productions for sure...

kimarnesen likes this.
  5. NameOfBand

NameOfBand Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    If I’m not mistaken the Kontakt Factory library has a nice tam-tam. Pretty clear sound I think. In terms of other percussion instruments I’m not sure though..

kimarnesen likes this.
  6. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    I prefer more traditional sounds and I really like East West Hollywood Percussion. Lots of content - covers all bases - and a very good sound. Like sekkosiki said, focused, clear, not too colored, while not sounding sterile. There is a very nice spatial depth to it, but it's still dry enough to be flexible. Really can't go wrong with it, especially since it can be bought ridiculously cheap during on of EWs frequent sales.

I still had to buy the VSL Synchron Timpani, because they're the best sampled timpani I've heard. The depth, detail, clarity and power are incredible. If I had the cash, I'd buy the complete Synchron collection, but since the Hollywood Percussion already covers my needs very well - sound and content wise - it would be a luxury goods purchase and thus isn't of high priority for me.

kimarnesen likes this.
  7. holywilly

holywilly Senior Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Love the EW Hollywood Percussion, always sit in my orchestral template.

kimarnesen likes this.
  8. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    I own EW Hollywood Percussion, HZ Perc, and Cineperc. Cineperc is very complete, and has plenty of stuff the others don't. The EW offering is imo somewhat limited.

kimarnesen and InLight-Tone like this.
  9. omiroad

omiroad Senior Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I like VSL's percussion.

kimarnesen likes this.
  10. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Spitfire Percussion accented with LADD & Percussion Plus Redux.

kimarnesen likes this.
  11. FGBR

FGBR Active Member

Aug 9, 2016
    In case you have Albion One (it seems a lot of people around here own that library) there is quite a bit of cymbals, gongs and tams in the "Legacy" percussion part.

I thought I would mention it because I sometimes look for stuff I forgot/didn't realize I already owned :)
    (Like the Waterphone for I was looking for a while back, until I realized I already had that covered in Metropolis Ark II).

Spitfire Percussion (should blend very well with HZ Perc) and Berlin Percussion are both great if you're looking for a full library.

kimarnesen likes this.
  12. Ultraxenon

Ultraxenon Senior Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Sande
    I also own Zimmer perc, but i use Cineperc for the Orchestral tracks that should sound real without any electronic elements. I think Zimmer perc could do the job, but it just dosent sound right in my orchestral music. For any other stuff it is amazing.

InLight-Tone likes this.
  13. Grizzlymv

Grizzlymv Senior Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Canada
    what about the Evolution Series Europe? They seems to cover a lot of the more traditional percs.

rvb likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    At this point, just the standard orchestral percussion. What your nearest symphony orchestra would have ;)

15. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    Well, I'm not a big fan of Play, maybe not a good excuse but, maybe Berlin is something to consider :)

16. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    You're very right, I actually have Albion One and did not think about checking.

FGBR likes this.
  17. Heroix

Heroix Senior Member

Dec 15, 2014
    berlin percussion is the best sounding one imho, or you might wanna get hollywood percussion. iam sure east west will have a sale around xmas. orchestral tools wont have a sale afaik.

kimarnesen likes this.
  18. Rodney Money

Rodney Money My wife made me cut my hair.

Mar 6, 2015
    I only used CinePerc on this track where you can clearly hear the tamtam, bass drums, timpani, mallet instruments, etc.

Ultraxenon and kimarnesen like this.
  19. Rodney Money

Rodney Money My wife made me cut my hair.

Mar 6, 2015
    And this is a mixture of live and CinePerc to see how well the live and samples blend:

20. Paul Grymaud

Paul Grymaud Senior Member

Kontakt factory library and Indiginus Brio percussions.
    Otherwise these:
    Set percus.png

sekkosiki and Rodney Money like this.