What's new

Your favorite "go to" patches

chillbot

Sock Muppet
Lots of threads about favorite libraries, let’s talk about patches. Anything goes, there’s probably someone on here that has it.

A lot of these are trade secrets... “go to” patches of mine... but alas I’ve used them so much maybe you could do more with them. And I seriously need to stop using them anyway. I need new “go to” patches! I would love to hear your favorite patches, if you’re willing to give them up. (Please?)

Omnisphere 1 –> “Anvil Chimes” -- great tonal powerful hit I love this so much I put it on everything.

Omnisphere 1 –> “Stuttering Music Box” -- this patch sucks at higher tempos, you need to try this at half-time... if you’re at 115bpm set your tempo to 57.5bpm and it’s magic.

Zebra2 –> Zimmer –> “Chug3 – large” -- this patch is so perfect in everything I wish I had 100 like it, especially at slower tempos. I’ve used this so much it’s a sin.

Zebra2 –> The Unfinished – sorry libraries shouldn’t be included here but everything Matt has done is “go to” for me. All of his libraries are the first thing I go to, hard to choose one patch there are hundreds.

Zebra2 –> Phobia –> “SW Noise and a viola” – holy cow I have to stop using this. So good.

Morphestra –> Transitions –> Scrapes –> “Fire Wire” -- reminds me of the old Distorted Reality “Oil Can Bow” you hear everywhere, or used to hear everywhere. I could use 20 more like this.

Oracle –> Tonal Hits –> “Tonal Hits – Master KS” – this is in my quick load in kontakt, unfortunately there’s not enough but if I could have 100 quick hits like this I would be happy. So good.

8DIO_HT3_Main –> “Drastic Lines” – you’ve heard these everywhere by now, way overused all over the place. But they still have their spot, so long as you don’t feature them. “Signatures” is also equally good.

Stylus –> Burning Grooves –> “Burning Grooves Fills Hi-Fi” – yes this library is very dated, but for a quick fill you have dozens and dozens of fills in the same place, and they still work. And for a slightly funkier sound go to Retro Funk, there isn’t one “fill” category you have to bounce around between patches but the fills are great.

Albion ONE –> “Strings – Short Spiccato” -- this spiccato patch has so much balls. I wouldn’t necessarily include orch samples here unless they’re really special since we all use the same libraries but this definitely qualifies as “go to” for me. It replaced the old Sonic Implants spiccato which has to be 15+ years old? I haven’t heard anything as good in that time (just me).

Roland XV5080 –> “Trying Winds” – also in the 1080/2080 I think? Windy patch, hold it down and then start pitch bending down for effect, release before the pitch bend finishes. Rad.

Roland XV5080 –> “Helium Queen” – this is a super quick synth theramin soundalike, it works great when you just need that hint of spooky or halloween without getting a real theramin.

Yamaha EX5R –> “Nu Age Pad” – if anyone has this, can you PLEASE MESSAGE ME. It’s on a Yamaha extra soundbank installed via 3 1/2 inch disks, it was on my original EX5R and when that bit the dust I got another one but lost the patch. You hold it down a 5th under the tonic and the result is the most amazing happy etheral pad I’ve ever had. Never found anything close to it.

Distorted Reality –> “Ethereal” – super old patch, I still use it. Works to glue everything together all the time.

Soundiron's Emotional Piano - I always sketch with this, wether I'm working in Cubase (/Logic) or Notion.

My all time favorite patch comes from Symphobia 2: Legato Ens Vcl + Db oct (staccato articulation). This patch can only be found in the original version of Symphobia 2, because they dropped it with the updates. It's the tightest, and meanest bass/celli staccato I've ever heard. Stack it with the bass/celli staccato from Iceni, and Ark 1, and a portal to hell opens up.

Well, this is a pretty lame response, but my "go to" is the yahama piano in Logic, lol. Nearly everything I write (if not guitar based) starts with me screwing around on that 'crappy' piano. After that, any further sounds or libraries I use is strictly dictated by what the music needs/calls for.

Well, this is a pretty lame response, but my "go to" is the yahama piano in Logic, lol. Nearly everything I write (if not guitar based) starts with me screwing around on that 'crappy' piano. After that, any further sounds or libraries I use is strictly dictated by what the music needs/calls for.
I actually liked Logic pianos. their timbre has something what i really like. Steinway based is even better to me. but saddly very limited sampled.

Orchestral Tools
Berlin Woodwinds (Main) - Bassoon 1 Legato
Berlin Woodwinds (Exp. A) - Bass Clarinet

Embertone
Jubal Flute

Cinesamples
Cinebrass Core - Solo Horn Legato
Cinebrass Pro - Solo Trombone Artic.
Cineorch - Low Chords
Hollywoodwinds - Everything:)

Spitfire Audio
Albion One - Low Strings Octave, Easter Island Hits, Scarnonium Flow, Marimbium, My Celestion, Mudlarks
Harp (Reg. and Flageolet)
Percussion
Scary Strings

EastWest
Hollywood Strings

Strezov
Storm Choir - Men/Women Marcato/Staccato

Burning Piano in Omnisphere 1
Awesome.
Easter Island hits (any) Albion 1
In my template.
Reverend in Stylus Backbeat
Very interesting choice.

To be honest I was hoping for in general less orchestral patches because those get discussed so much in so many other threads though I know I didn't actually specify and I know this is a pretty orchestral-intensive community and I know I started it by listing Albion ONE so really what the hell was I expecting, as you were.

As a Logic user my most used cheep library is called 'synth universe' (easysounds.de) for the EXS sampler. I have a good collection of soft synths but when I need 'functional' pads it's my to go. So easy to adjust attack, decay and cutoff and done. Especially for any kind of pop tune it's 'the' filler collection.

And like catass says: the EXS has a default sine wave when not loaded anything. It's my to go sub bass (even on orchestra), with a little portamento my 'theremin' and does a lot of drips and drops with a little pitch envelope.

I resampled some sounds from my orchestral libraries and stacked them: triangle tremolo, chimes, hi tremolo strings, random plings of glockenspiel, harp and celeste. It's my standard orchestra shimmer on top of anything 'magic'.
I also resampled low brass, double basses, left hand low octave piano tremolo, and timpany as crescendos and hits. It's an easy to go orchestral climax maker.

I don't remember patch names but when I look for sounds I find all I need and more in patch libraries from Matt Bowlder, Joseph Hollo, Simon Stockhausen, Skippy Lehmkuhl and Howard Scarr.

"Blue Carpet" pad in logic. It's the perfect pad in that it just fills in without getting in the way.

Zebra2 –> Zimmer –> “Chug3 – large” -- this patch is so perfect in everything I wish I had 100 like it, especially at slower tempos. I’ve used this so much it’s a sin.
3.gif
Yea, I remember first time I pushed a D key with this patch loaded. I was listening to that astounding one note chuga chuga for at least a hour incessantly.
1.gif

My bare bones, sketching template has Light and Sound's Concert Grand paired with Steinberg's "Warmth Pad" from Padshop (just audible in the background). I also love CSS's Ensemble Patch for string noodles.

Top Bottom