• East West Symphonic Choirs Platinum

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Virharmonic Voices of Prague

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cinesamples Voxos

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters

X-Bassist

It's not on the list... curious to know why... did it come out before 2018?

So many great VI's have landed in the last 12 months that for me the 2017-2018 dateline kinda merged... ;)
He mentioned above he’s not list children’s choirs, which Voxos also has! ;)

jneebz

For me, this is my initial go-to choir. But... there are times when Requ
Just curious...and this is stemming from total ignorance on using a choir effectively, but isn’t a children’s choir really more of a “niche” sound? When I hear it I think “Christmas” or “Fantasy.” Do you layer it/use it effectively in other genres?

EDIT: Whoa...sorry I obviously didn’t quote your post correctly. Was referring to Genesis.

X-Bassist

Just curious...and this is stemming from total ignorance on using a choir effectively, but isn’t a children’s choir really more of a “niche” sound? When I hear it I think “Christmas” or “Fantasy.” Do you layer it/use it effectively in other genres?

EDIT: Whoa...sorry I obviously didn’t quote your post correctly. Was referring to Genesis.
Whatever you highlight before replying is what it puts in the quote, FYI. If nothing is highlighted then if will quote the whole post.

Children’s choirs when recorded well (like Genesis) can be used in many cinematic contexts. Short ahhs during action sequences, long ahhs when a discovery is made, aleotoric ahhs when something goes wrong (Genesis does this awesomely). These work in many film genres, but often double or support other instruments. :)

jneebz

Whatever you highlight before replying is what it puts in the quote, FYI. If nothing is highlighted then if will quote the whole post.
Yeah familiar with that, just messed up my “selection markers” on my iPhone. All thumbs :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the Genesis info...interesting. Outside “epic” music choir usage is something I need to explore.

Mucusman

Enthusiastic hobbyist
Yes, there are limits. Genesis ain't going to get you epic, thundering Wotan-style basses, for example. I used it in a requiem I wrote as I processed my grief for the death of a friend's son (which was played at the funeral service). It ended being the perfect choir for that use.

As @X-Bassist noted, some of the more generic oohs and ahhs will work well in many contexts. There are some pads, too, that I could see working across many styles/genres.

While I love Genesis, it's not a solution for all choral needs. If you want that sound, it's fantastic. If you're looking for something else, there are other packages available. Choirs don't sound alike in real life, so it's logical one would have use for multple choir libraries to cover differences just in the sound/timbre alone.

NoamL

Winter <3
Download the LABS instrument of the Eric Whitacre Choir if you haven't already. It really shows that choir is something special. Rhodope is another choir that blew me away with the intro video (below). Each of these are special-purpose choirs that can't do everything. So is Performance Samples Oceania which is great for epic LOTR-shouty choir. I think choir is so versatile the search for a do-it-all choir is even more futile than do-it-all orchestral sections.

tim727

The Met Ark choirs are my favorites hands down. I don't think anything comes close to be honest. That being said there are obviously different choirs for different needs and I've found Wotan/Freyja to be of very high quality, with Wotan in particular working its way into many of my pieces.

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
Have Freyja and Wotan and like them very much.

I was really surprised by the choir in Time Macro. Not that I was expecting it to be rubbish but I wasn’t expecting to like and enjoy it as much as I do. It’s beautifully recorded imho and has some really niche (and nice) sounds. I hope that OT does a choir release building on their Ark and Time choirs experience. Could be great.

Also, had a similar reaction to the LABS Whitacre taster (see @NoamL above), I think it’s beautiful and have no doubt that the full choir is too. I’m just not able to justify getting it right now.

mikefrommontreal

I hate to be negative about something that's free, but I wasn't blown away by the LABS choir. If anything it took the Eric Whitacre Choir out of contention for me. Sounded like a generic choir patch. I think I might even prefer the generic choir patches in my Omnisphere V.1.

Top Bottom