What's new

Your best 2018 purchase?

Session Keys Upright Piano. Not only is it a good vst, but it has something my other stuff is lacking:"character". It sounds like a Carole King album from the 70s. It reminded me that quantize is evil, Autotune was made by Satan, and people bangin' on slightly out of tune uprights were able to make a product they called "music".

I can't wait to get the Soundiron Drinking Piano, hopefully on sale at Christmas (it's pretty cheap regardless I think). I heard that and it gave me hope for the future of mankind.
I don't own the Session Keys Upright Piano (I've been tempted, but there's only so many sampled uprights I can justify having) but from what I've heard it has mojo in spades.
For me, it's a toss up between:
• Loop de la Créme's 'Lo-Fi Pianos' (so many colours & uses for this and they add real character to a mix)
• Chocolate Audio's Italian Steinbach Upright Piano
• Puremagnetik's Keyboard Collection
• Various creations of Hideaway Studios & Rhythmic Robot.

Last edited:
A bunch of vintage synths I’ve wanted for a long time, but far and away the best investment I’ve made in years: a pair of PMC IB1S monitors. I’ve never heard a pair of speakers that made me cry until now. I can’t believe what I’ve been missing all these years.

A bunch of vintage synths I’ve wanted for a long time, but far and away the best investment I’ve made in years: a pair of PMC IB1S monitors. I’ve never heard a pair of speakers that made me cry until now. I can’t believe what I’ve been missing all these years.
And here I thought it was going to be the Stream Decks! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

I bought a bunch of SoundDust libraries during Pendle's sale in the spring, and they are all great:
Infundibulum
All the Chaos Engines
Cloud Cello, Bass and Viola
Growler
Orgone
FlutterDust Module

Add to that Modwheel's Waveskimmer and Bass Banjo... This has been the year of 'Indie' libraries for me. All unbelievable value for money

But my best purchase must have been the KEF LS50 wireless speakers. The best sounding, most versatile set of speakers (I do not use them as monitors) I have ever owned.

• Clean sound
  • Low latency drivers
  • Total Mix software
  • Build Quality
I bought one this year too (Babyface Pro) - money well spent! I was surprised how much better my dinky Yamaha HS 5s sounded coming through the new interface as compared to my old MBox 3.

Hans Zimmer Strings tops my list this year as far as sample libraries go. I recently picked up the choir which might be a close second, but haven't had time to write much with it yet...

Roland TD17 KVX with Superior drummer 3 and the Prog Rock SDX.
My wife made me get it. Thought I would be to old to get my chops back. Coming along. Mapping the kit to Hans Zimmer percussion and Heavyocity’s Damage has been a blast. No more finger drumming for me. :)
Plus I play super-imposed 7 over my step sons 4/4 rap tracks. Drives him nuts. Score 10/10.

Session Keys Upright Piano. Not only is it a good vst, but it has something my other stuff is lacking:"character". It sounds like a Carole King album from the 70s. It reminded me that quantize is evil, Autotune was made by Satan, and people bangin' on slightly out of tune uprights were able to make a product they called "music".

I can't wait to get the Soundiron Drinking Piano, hopefully on sale at Christmas (it's pretty cheap regardless I think). I heard that and it gave me hope for the future of mankind.

Love drinking piano. I feel like Tom Waits.

He is either massively underrated (because I rarely hear anyone talk about him) or so well rated that people don't feel like they need to talk about him, because his talent/skill/work is so obviously good that it doesn't need to be mentioned ...

Oh there are other JG fans here, rest assured. Including I'm almost positive Mr. Zimmer @Rctec

Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Jerry Goldsmith is righteously considered one of the greatest in film score history. He was also a great composer (check out Freud, Planet of the Apes, The Omen of course, and so many others).

Though not quite the devastating pioneer that guys like Max Steiner and Alfred Newman were, it's hard to go wrong with JG...I actually prefer him significantly to Williams (I know, start throwing rocks), though I respect the latter quite a lot as well.

Top Bottom