What's new

Your best 2018 purchase?

Orange Tree Evolution Steel Strings. I've never owned a high quality sampled guitar before.

This may sound counter-intuitive (and like blasphemy to some). But as a life long guitar player, it's been very liberating to be able to program realistic sounding guitar parts.

Since people are listing hardware: I'm really very fond of the Behringer Model D clone I picked up a few months back. For like a tenth of the price of a Moog, I get that huge, classic Seventies synth sound. Can be absolutely enormous.

As for libraries... I can't stop using the brass from Versilian's VSCO 2, and I've also used the 8dio Claire Bassoon and the Auddict Solo Violin all over the place. And I only got the Genesis choir recently on BF, but so far it seems like it's just brilliantly programmed.

This.

Just got it last week, and I really like it.

It's fun, and it's an instrument I've wanted for years (but it didn't exist). I have a DrumKAT, and I've tried many other MPC-style pads, but none of them is sensitive enough to play with your fingers or fast enough to pick up buzz rolls. As a result, I never use them - because there's no point in it rather than just tapping on the piano keys. (I played orchestral percussion back in the day.)

Because it's small enough just to sit on my desk out of the way, the BopPad is also useful for my "new" Logic Pro X sequencing technique: playing a part in, then tapping in a groove track to "quantize" it to.

Man, this is exactly what I've been looking for too. Thanks for sharing. Have been waiting for Mandala V3 to come out for years now, and doesn't seem like they ever will, so this has my attention, especially at that price!

A bunch of vintage synths I’ve wanted for a long time, but far and away the best investment I’ve made in years: a pair of PMC IB1S monitors. I’ve never heard a pair of speakers that made me cry until now. I can’t believe what I’ve been missing all these years.

What happened to the Adam Audio S Series?

If I hadn’t picked up Light and Sound chamber strings last year for $150, it would surely be on my 2018 list at its current $120. Looking forward to hearing more from L&S.

I say becouse my backup hard drivegoed state dont show anymore getting new backup hd is this.
but niceris ineed my Fuji x-t20 and 15-45mm lens for example both are only littlemusic related.

If I hadn’t picked up Light and Sound chamber strings last year for $150, it would surely be on my 2018 list at its current $120. Looking forward to hearing more from L&S.
I have my eye on this, which looks very tempting (and I very much liked their walkthroughs). The only thing keeping me from doing it is that I'm drowning in string libraries (but can one ever have enough?)—and I'm also thinking about Ark 4 and maybe the new Spitfire Brass. Problem is I don't really need the Spitfire Brass either, and I still have no idea what Ark 4 will add (aside from POWER LEGATO).

Bought "To Pimp a Butterfly" which I love; my daughter told me about it.

HZ Strings is my favourite library of this year.

Soundtoys collection favourite FX for quite some time.

The Unfinished has to get a mention as well -- always useful and musical.

Really, it's a magic time to be a composer in many ways. Sure, we spend a lot of time wrestling technology, sometimes winning, sometimes not so much, but compared with the 18th century, we have cleaner drinking water and much better dental care.

Orange Tree Evolution Steel Strings. I've never owned a high quality sampled guitar before.

This may sound counter-intuitive (and like blasphemy to some). But as a life long guitar player, it's been very liberating to be able to program realistic sounding guitar parts.
Yes! Even if you play well and have a great sounding guitar, it's quite another matter to make a great recording.

Top Bottom