What's new

You desert island soft synths?

Two synths I’m looking forward to: Synthmaster 3 and Zebra 3.

same.

i just bought Dark Zebra - before I did, i sent a note to u-he asking about the upgrade path to Zebra 3 after buying DZ/HZ.

u-he replied there would be zero cost for Zebra 3 if you buy Dark Z.

he added don't expect Z3 any time soon.

with that, it could pop tomorrow - i've seen stranger things.

i have plenty of learning catch-up to do with my synths to keep my busy until Z3.

-

what's very cool about these VIs,

on my day-job PC, I can install Reaper, all my VST Synths, hook up my Alesis 25 key controller and have at it.

no fuss, no dongle muss.

I think i'm good with

Synthmaster 2.9
Dune 3
Hive 2
Zebra 2.8

i gaze over at Omnisphere now and then, but always opt for something else at the $500 mark.

this week, it's a 4tb SSD instead of Omni.

some day.

Last edited:
I never cared much for Omni and sold it after six weeks. But I'd already studied and worked with Waldorf, Uhe, PPG, and NI synths for years by that time.

For somebody looking for just one synth, they could probably flip a three-sided coin over Omnisphere, Diva, or Zebra.HZ imo.

And Zebra 3 is looking a bit less likely every year. Not that I care, I love it how it is, honestly.

Which all work in FM8 and usually sound better there too. Not to mention the horrible interface on Dexed.

The answer to the question givemeenoughrope asked is 'No'. There isn't really a 'better' FM synth than what you have. Just different ones. I love Dexed too, but it's certainly not 'better' than FM8.

I had a great time loading my DX-7 sounds in FM7 (and now FM8). It brought back memories from the '80s.

And I still have and use a couple of sounds from then.

I also have a patch in Dexed that I'll use one day. Why it's there rather than FM8... I've totally forgotten.

But I'd want versatile synths with me on the desert island, not role-players (although it's relative - I did several projects using only FM synthesis in their day, and was always amazed at them back then).

I never cared much for Omni and sold it after six weeks. But I'd already studied and worked with Waldorf, Uhe, PPG, and NI synths for years by that time.

For somebody looking for just one synth, they could probably flip a three-sided coin over Omnisphere, Diva, or Zebra.HZ imo.

And Zebra 3 is looking a bit less likely every year. Not that I care, I love it how it is, honestly.
It took me a while (several months) to fall in love with Omni2 but now I wouldn't be without it.

Which all work in FM8 and usually sound better there too. Not to mention the horrible interface on Dexed.

The answer to the question givemeenoughrope asked is 'No'. There isn't really a 'better' FM synth than what you have. Just different ones. I love Dexed too, but it's certainly not 'better' than FM8.

My Go-To synth would be Reaktor, I think.
Well alrighty then.

Zebra 3 is looking a bit less likely every year.

What makes you think so? In my opinion it‘s the other way round. If u-he didn‘t create new products in the meantime they were out of business by now. As a matter of fact, they‘re very healthy and Zebra 3 seems to be the priority next to the smaller updates. I expect a release early next year.

Top Bottom