What's new

You desert island soft synths?

unclecheeks

Probably not the only one here with a massive collection of soft synths, most of which I hardly ever touch... So in the spirit of trimming things down to make it more manageable and conducive to creativity, I'm committing to picking a couple of synths that I learn inside and out. When I do electronic stuff, I tend to gravitate to a Tipper, or Telefon Tel Aviv sound. If I had to choose 2 synths only, I think my selections would be:

Dune 3 - there's just something about the sound quality that makes it stand out from the pack. Lots of synthesis options (VA, WT, FM), 8 independent layers, great sounding filters and fx. Modulation could be more user friendly (like Serum / Massive's drag-and-drop). Bread and butter basses, leads and pads would be well covered with this one methinks.

Aparillo - honestly, this synth is kinda blowing my mind right now. Got it as part of the Sugar Bundle a while back and just starting to dig in. Once I start applying modulation to each of the 16 FM voices, and throw in the Orbit XY pad parameter morphing, I don't think I'd be able to get these sounds from any other synths.

Notable mention - while I do have and use Omnisphere often, I'm really not a fan of the user interface. I know that it can be a powerful synth beyond just a rompler (and of course, and amazing one at that!), but something about the UI just feels clunky and dated, so I just don't feel inspired to dig deeper with it on the synthesis end.

How about you? What would be your desert islands synths, and why?

Last edited:

givemenoughrope

The usual suspects for me: Zebra/Diva, Reaktor/FM8 but also VCV Rack’s MI Elements module and Logic’s Sculpture (even though I use Cubase).

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Can't call it my desert island soft synth as I've hardly scratched the surface, but AIR Loom looks interesting from the quick play I've had with it. A pretty deep level of control and interesting modulation & morphing options.

Saxer

Omnisphere is much more fun since hardware integration. So if I'm able to take a hardware synth to the island too my soft synth of choice would be Omnisphere. And meanwhile Hive is a really cool synth too.

But if there is electricity and a computer with DAW on the desert island I'd probably have all the tons of synths on the hard drives like at home.

OP
U

unclecheeks

The usual suspects for me: Zebra/Diva, Reaktor/FM8 but also VCV Rack’s MI Elements module and Logic’s Sculpture (even though I use Cubase).
Haven't played with Zebra but that might be one to consider, thanks for the reminder! FM8 is getting a little long in the tooth and while I really dig Reaktor and have made & modded some sweet ensembles, it pulls me too much in the get-under-the-hood and start tweaking shit direction which is often at odds with getting music done, at least in my experience. :geek: (Though I probably couldn't live without my modded Splitter for doing crazy granular percs)

OP
U

unclecheeks

Can't call it my desert island soft synth as I've hardly scratched the surface, but AIR Loom looks interesting from the quick play I've had with it. A pretty deep level of control and interesting modulation & morphing options.
That one does interest me, but the UI made it a little difficult to get into quickly. Also, considering how poor AIR have been about releasing updates / bug fixes for their products, I hesitate to invest into it. Have been scoping their Drumsynth 500, but will likely pass for that reason.

Reactions: CGR
OP
U

unclecheeks

But if there is electricity and a computer with DAW on the desert island I'd probably have all the tons of synths on the hard drives like at home.
Heh, you make a good point there.. (and me too, despite this mental exercise!)

Jaap

Yes, that's an alto flute
I would pack Omnisphere 2, VPS Avenger, Falcon and Massive X (really digging the sound of it!)

Guy Rowland

Omni 2, anything else would be a bonus (is it cheating to have Trilian and Keyscape in there too?). In order then: Repro 1/5, VPS Avenger, Nexus 2.

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
Omni2 (with Keyscape) and Diva.
Also love those Sugar Bytes synths, particularly for their quirky randomness.
Already have Aparillo and Obscurium. Getting their main synth Factory as we speak.

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
Omnisphere & Zebra.
This ^^^
I love Diva and RePro too but if we’re forcing choices...

Edit - I see a few fans of Dune here and I’ve come really close to getting it a few times but can’t really justify it. Also Avenger is a synth that is still on my list having tried the demo. It is really great and just a ton of fun to play with. I dare say I’ll get it one day but I really don’t need it right now and am trying to focus more on writing and not acquiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vin

James H

01001000 01101001
Avenger, I can spend hours with it and rarely get fatigue or make something that doesn't sound amazing.
Sylenth1, too many of my tracks would fall apart if I removed it. Never lets me down no matter how many times I leave it for another synth!

I understand what @unclecheeks mentions about Omnisphere. I just don't get inspired using it? Maybe it's too overwhelming or the GUI, but something doesn't work for me. Gutted as I've tried numerous times to like it.

sevensuns

Great to see another fan of Dune 3! Got it a few weeks ago, its the thickest and warmest soft synth I used, I like it even more than Diva! So many good sounds out of it. It has become my go-to.

Of course I do love Serum it helped me learn synthesis, but I'm a bit tired of it now.

U-he have pretty nice stuff, Hive is cool.

RAPID is currently 30% off on sale, and I was thinking of getting it, but dont think I really need another synth right now.

Top Bottom