What's new

Yet another slave PC build for review

Alright, one more crack at this. I'm pretty much ready to rock, I decided not to hold out for the new Intel chips, here's the revised parts list, now in fancy Canadian dollars!:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/GreenWire/saved/#view=GR8G3C

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

The ASRock motherboard has 1 x 10/100/1000 Mbps onboard LAN, is that sufficient to be running a big VE Pro session over LAN, or should I look at adding an Ethernet card?

Thanks again for all the help, folks, it's much appreciated.

Onboard LAN has always been sufficient for me so I'd say first try it out and see if it's an issue. I bought an Intel card for my slave and it performs the same as the onboard Realtek. That's mature technology, so unless you're an enterprise user you don't need expensive network connections.

rgames

I was just looking on anandtech at a DPC latency comparison for X99 MB's. The MSI X99A SLI PLUS was the clear winner. I don't know how good it is otherwise, but seems to be really good on DPC latency.

67854.png

Last edited:
Interesting, especially considering that we're talking about microseconds and not milliseconds. I'm curious how the latency comparisons are calculated, it's been a while since I've seen Anandetch's articles. I know Hothardware has pretty well documented benchmarking articles, but DPC latency is only one overall facet versus stability.

Microseconds difference between Clean bare-bones OS installs with no real-world load don't really equate to much when suddenly you're installing things like VEPro or Bidule & .net framework redistributables, and/or graphics processing overhead when remote-desktoping.

I have the asrock extreme4, 5820k and 128gb ram. pretty cool.
everything works fine. I used a rack case that had some challenges but so far so good.

Top Bottom