What's new

Yet another awesome contribution to the community from Spitfire

Garry

Watch Christian Henson composing a funk/orchestral combo track here, in the style of Lalo Shiffrin (Mission Impossible, Dirty Harry, Enter the Dragon, Cool Hand Luke), apparently Christian's favorite composer.

He's started a Twitch channel, and in this, his first live broadcast, he gave a 5hour masterclass as he composed something from scratch. Not often you get to freely look over the shoulder of someone as talented as he is - I learned a ton, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Why did he do it? Well, (paraphrasing): because he wanted to be transparent about the fact that things like the demos they do for new libraries are of course heavily edited before release, and all we see is the last take, but not the hours that go into getting things right, and so he wanted to avoid giving the false impression that you need to be some kind of ninja. (Actually, it turns out he's of course a total ninja, but I appreciated the sentiment!).

Great guy. Great company. Great products. Great community spirit.

Thanks @christianhenson

OP
Garry

Garry

So, how cool is this: I'm just watching and at about 3 1/2 hours in (at 3:38:39 if you're following it), someone on the chat channel writes a guitar solo for the piece he's playing, and sends it to Christian, and he incorporates it into the piece! Thereby birthing the idea of a live community stream jam! Awesome!

OP
Garry

Garry

Oh wow, then at 5:06:32, someone sends him an 8 bar loop of the main riff on a double bass, which he incorporates too! I really hope this catches on. It's really fun and informative to watch. Marketing genius too (not that I think this was his purpose): it's a great demonstration of Spitfire products, even better than the library demos and contextuals, to get to see them used in action, and how they blend together, and also with some live percussion instruments he records as well.

Honesty, I really think you're on to something here Christian - the community jam live stream could really catch on. I don't think I've ever sat through 4-5hrs of live stream of anything, but I could watch these forever!

OP
Garry

Garry

So, if you check it out for no other reason: was not expecting this... at 4:53:24 he, er... sings!... without auto-tune! Your talents lie elsewhere mate! Simon Cowell would not have been kind! "It's a no from me!" ;) I thought he was going to use some clever tech to turn it around, but then he decided against it and deleted it. Good call Christian! ;)

So, the final track is at 05:03:05 - as a first draft, it sounds really, really good. He's going to tidy it up and then release it on his YouTube channel.

At the end, he was suggesting he might do his future contextuals like this, which I think would be awesome.

There were quite a lot watching live, so what do people think? I'm sure he'd appreciate some feedback here as to whether people find this useful?

Last edited:

jbuhler

So, if you check it out for no other reason: was not expecting this... at 4:53:24 he, er... sings!... without auto-tune! Your talents lie elsewhere mate! Simon Cowell would not have been kind! "It's a no from me!" ;) I thought he was going to use some clever tech to turn it around, but then he decided against it and deleted it. Good call Christian!

So, the final track is at 05:03:05 - as a first draft, it sounds really, really good. He's going to tidy it up and release it on his YouTube channel.

At the end, he was suggesting he might do his future contextuals like this, which I think would be awesome.

There were quite a lot watching live, so what do people think? I'm sure he'd appreciate some feedback here as to whether people find this useful?
I always like these long composing videos. It's just great to see how people work and I almost always pick up some shortcut I didn't know about. At the same time, the short edited contextual videos are also nice if I'm just looking for an illustration of that particular concept. Sitting through all the takes to get that can be wearying if that's not what you are wanting. But maybe he could offer both short cuts and a full screencast for some of his videos.

OP
Garry

Garry

Which libraries did he cover?
It wasn't so much him covering libraries, but just using different libraries in the track, as and when they suited the piece. As far as I can recall, he used The Grange, Chamber Strings, LABS Dulcimer, LABS Peal Guitar, some Logic EXS patches (not just his favorite sine wave!), Solo Strings, Albion One, Symphonic Woods, Symphonic Brass, Harpsicord, Vibraphone, and Spitfire Percussion.

OP
Garry

Garry

I always like these long composing videos. It's just great to see how people work and I almost always pick up some shortcut I didn't know about. At the same time, the short edited contextual videos are also nice if I'm just looking for an illustration of that particular concept. Sitting through all the takes to get that can be wearying if that's not what you are wanting. But maybe he could offer both short cuts and a full screencast for some of his videos.
Yes, I think that was the plan: throw the composing video up on Twitch, and then the contextual on the Spitfire website.

DavidY

Possibly due to poor spec of computer and/or internet connection, or my not knowing how to configure Twitch better, the picture kept freezing for me, so I gave up.
Plus I didn't know how much time it might take (and as it turned out I would have had to leave well before the end.)
It's a long video though; many people would struggle to devote that much time, I suspect.

jbuhler

Possibly due to poor spec of computer and/or internet connection, or my not knowing how to configure Twitch better, the picture kept freezing for me, so I gave up.
Plus I didn't know how much time it might take (and as it turned out I would have had to leave well before the end.)
It's a long video though; many people would struggle to devote that much time, I suspect.
I generally watch these kinds of things in chunks (I'm currently 2 and quarter hours in, and have it paused) and while I'm doing some busy work.

OP
Garry

Garry

Yeah, I don't think everyone stays the whole time in these things; also, it's recorded so you can dip in and out of it later, and skip ahead if you prefer.

I'm also not so much into the idea of a video that lasts 5hrs (I can't imagine they'll all run that length either), but the idea of a jamming session, with someone like Christian writing the cue, and then audience members can write parts and send them in, live. I think that's such a great use of the platform. Just imagine, that you get to say you co-wrote a cue with Christian Henson! If my kids are ever reading this, and they were able to swing this for me for Father's Day, I will leave this earth a happy man!!

OP
Garry

Garry

Also, he was having some internet issues, so I too experienced some drop out, so the problem may not have been at your end.

bvaughn0402

I was sad that the video has disappeared. Is there a time limit Twitch gives to previous videos?

Is Christian's live composing video anywhere else online?

OP
Garry

Garry

Oh no, that's a shame - I too didn't realize that Twitch videos don't remain online forever, like with YouTube, or perhaps Christian took it down himself?

He does do a follow-up here, where he carries on from where he left off, polishing what was a first draft into something more finished, but it's still a shame the original is no longer available.

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
Twitch videos can stay online indefinitely if you remember to manually add them to "Highlights" after you finish your broadcast. Otherwise, they disappear pretty quick.

Top Bottom