1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ye Old Hackintosh vs Mac Tower Debate

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by XiphiasAudio, May 31, 2016.

Hackintosh or Mac Pro

1. Hackintosh

2. Mac Pro

1. composerguy78

composerguy78 Senior Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I have been using a hackintosh for the past three years and it has been really great. However, when it comes to upgrade and achieve full functionality - like sleeping, iMessage etc to work, it is tricky. There will be lots of downtime and stress. Also, in my experience the community is dwindling. These days when I post on tonymac86.com I barely get any replies. I used to get a ton, perhaps the community has moved elsewhere but I dont' really understand the other forums to be honest.

In essence, I recommend that anyone going the hackintosh route these days be somebody that is passionate about computing, not somebody looking to save a ton on their next machine.

Are you excited about the thought of building a machine, are you excited to learn how to tweak it and look for drivers etc and hack the machine to get it work? If that terrifies you then I recommend avoiding it. If you are up for the challenge then consider it, if you geniunely excited then go for it. But read up - you can't just buy a Dell and make it run OS X, but I expect you know that.

That's my two cents. It's also a note to self as, I am still on the fence about the next machine, I'm not sure I will go the hack route again, but I just might.

2. I think this is very good advice Composerguy78. I have built 4 Hackintoshes and it was then that I moved to my Mac Pro. I also had a 2011 MBP that I got from University while studying Music for Media. Your points are solid and precise, because I am passionate about computing and I had a person who was not, who needed me to hold his hand all the way through. So yes, knowing the hardware and the problem solving skills are something you definitely need. And getting a hack to save money does not make sense either. Since you could pay out more trying to get your hack working from those who charge for their help.

I started on Hacks and soon realised that for professional workflow and peace of mind, getting the real deal would be a better option long term. Hence the move to Master and Slave. This allows me to run the best of both worlds. And some applications work better on OS X, where as others do on Windows.
    composerguy78 likes this.
  3. composerguy78

composerguy78 Senior Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks very much Shad0wLandsUK! I appreciate it. I'm nuts about computers and although I'm very techy, I really find the world of hacking a hackintosh really challenging sometimes. I get the basics of it no problem but then in just a few missteps I feel like I know nothing!

I have spent so much time dealing with the hackintosh that I wonder if it has really made financial sense when considering how many man hours (just me) I have spent tinkering with it!
  4. Yeah I know just what you mean. I was part of the community for about 4 years and I have to say that I learned a huge amount. Fortunately I was friends with a couple of guys who were well versed in it all. One was a PHP developer as well, so he knew his stuff and still does. Also for me the time was not wasted at all, since I work in IT and the experience has hugely helped me. Gives me plenty for my CV ;)
  5. JaikumarS

JaikumarS Senior Member

Mar 3, 2017

Hello there...
    Have you had any issues while using Cubase 9 on a Mac Pro - Sierra? Does anyone have the benchmark for Realtime performance of Cubase Pro 9 on a Mac Pro - 8 core, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E5 3.0 GHz ?

I've seen on YouTube that the Composers Daniel James, Ashton Gleckman and Trevor Morris are using Cubase on a Mac Pro. I've been a Mac user for the past 10 years and all my Virtual Instruments and Plugins are Mac based and do not want to move to PC.

So planning to use Mac Pro as my master and a 12 core 128 GB RAM PC for VEPro 6.

Existing -
    Macbook Pro 2010 - Video Slave
    Mac mini 2012 - Print Rig - PT 10.3HD

6. Turned my i7 4770K, 32GB RAM and ASUS Maximus Formula VI back into a Hackintosh :D

Wanted to test the performance of Cubase Pro 9 and see if the results they are claim are really true.
    I will be posting more here with some links soon, when I have fully tested it all out.

Going to be performing the tests on:

MacBook Pro Early 2011 8GB RAM - macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Windows 10 Creators Update
    Mac Pro 2012 64GB RAM - macOS Sierra 10.12.6, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Creators Update
    Hackintosh i7 32GB RAM - macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Windows 10 Creators Update (Clover build with full
    system made compatible on macOS)
  7. garyhiebner

garyhiebner Senior Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I'm thinking of building up a Hackintosh Desktop next. I currently got an HP Probbok running as a Hackintosh, and so far not too bad.

I was wanting to build a PC Slave to go with my Macbook pro, but I think I'm going to try the Hackintosh route, and if doesnt go according to plan. I can still turn it into a PC Slave. But the goals is to have a single machine running Logic and VEP on the same machine. The nice thing about hackintosh is you not confirmed by Apples build which are less user friendly.