What's new

Yamaha AW4416 Professional Audio Workstation Recorder/Mixer

Keith Theodosiou

Hi all, this is my Yamaha AW4416.

I bought this mid 2000's and it was brilliant. Just after the warranty ran out, it packed up (typical).
I drove all the way to Yamaha for them to look at it, they said the little power board had blown so they changed it. That cost me £120

Six months later, it blew again. Yamaha said there was not alot they could do but sell me another board. So, i bought another one at the same price. That blew months later too. so i put the thing in a cupboard and forgot about it for years. A few months ago i decided to try again. £120, new power board. This video is after i installed the new board.

A few weeks ago, i powered it up and Phhheeeewwt! It blew again.

Any ideas? I want to sell it as i don't use it anymore but i can't sell it like this.

I had an Akai all in one that notoriously blew it's ADA board. BUT....luckily, the ADA board didn't DIE....it was a fuse that kept getting tripped. I was told to up the handling of the fuse just slightly.....replaced it once and never again with a slightly larger value part--it was like they'd spec'd it to have less tolerance than the parts they manufactured with or something--and in some cases it was just too little, so it would pop and the board would "go out"--in the case of the Akai--whole unit functioned if you had external ADA to hook to the ADAT or SPDIF....it was just the ADA board....I'm going to say it was a .50c part. Maybe that was 4 for 50c.....we were lucky enough to have some guys with (electrical) engineering knowledge have it go out and be able to talk to the warranty guys to figure out WHY it was happening....and so some of us could buy the parts in advance--mine sat here for years before it blew....I knew I had a photo walkthrough bookmarked....and the parts out in the garage. Took longer to disassemble than do the quick solder fix, so a bunch of us just soldered wires from the PCB to an empty bay on the back side--so if it ever blew again, we could replace the part from the bay instead of dissembling. Mine never did again. FWIW.

I had an Akai all in one that notoriously blew it's ADA board. BUT....luckily, the ADA board didn't DIE....it was a fuse that kept getting tripped. I was told to up the handling of the fuse just slightly.....replaced it once and never again with a slightly larger value part--it was like they'd spec'd it to have less tolerance than the parts they manufactured with or something--and in some cases it was just too little, so it would pop and the board would "go out"--in the case of the Akai--whole unit functioned if you had external ADA to hook to the ADAT or SPDIF....it was just the ADA board....I'm going to say it was a .50c part. Maybe that was 4 for 50c.....we were lucky enough to have some guys with (electrical) engineering knowledge have it go out and be able to talk to the warranty guys to figure out WHY it was happening....and so some of us could buy the parts in advance--mine sat here for years before it blew....I knew I had a photo walkthrough bookmarked....and the parts out in the garage. Took longer to disassemble than do the quick solder fix, so a bunch of us just soldered wires from the PCB to an empty bay on the back side--so if it ever blew again, we could replace the part from the bay instead of dissembling. Mine never did again. FWIW.
I did give one of the blown boards to an electrician but he couldn't figure out why it kept blowing.
The worst part is there is actually a little fuse on the board but evertime i checked it after the board had blown, the fuse hadn't been touched. It was still a 'live' fuse. That's the part i really didn't get lol

I suppose all i can really do is put it for sale as not working, for parts only and just loose some money.

Top Bottom