What's new

XP + FXteleport + RemoteDesktop/RealVNC = ?

daka

Hi everyone.

I am about to get a new DAW and intend to keep my current PC as a FXteleport slave for sample playback
(kontakt, EWQLSO...)

I want to move the slave PC to another room, so in my opinion the most elegant solution would be to have it connected only via ethernetcable and control it remotely from my new main DAW via RemoteDesktop Software.
That way i could save the money for another monitor, keyboard,long cables, and also save desktop space. I know there are KVM switches but these still require many cables and are by themselves rather expensive too...

so now my questions:

1. Is anyone here running a similar setup with either XPs built in Remote Desktop software or RealVNC?

2. If so, does it work to your satisfaction, or are the any major issues worth mentioning?

Thanks a lot for any hints!

Cheers,
daka

In the Windows world, RDC wipes the floor with VNC IMNSHO :) It is so, so, so much faster than VNC. The only thing it doesn't handle is that certain hardware devices aren't available in RDC. But if you're using FXT, there's NPAA.

- Stefan

RDC: Remote Desktop Control
NPAA: No Problem At All
IMNSHO: In My Not So Humble Opinion

I used to control my 3 Giga PC's both with a KVR switch as well as with VNC. Worked really well. Now that I have upgraded them to XP, I didn't want to reinstall VNC, so I control them exclusively via the KVR (scroll-lock 1-2-3 to switch).
My reverb PC has no mouse/kbd at all and is controlled using Remote Desktop, very easy.
I also control my mail server downstairs exclusively via VNC. I may be slow, but for me it works perfectly. And I can even log into to it from the internet (Windows NT4).

I have no problems with RDC. The only thing I need additionally is a cheap keyboard on each slave for inputting [tab][tab]password for the first windows login.

Hannes

I have no problems with RDC. The only thing I need additionally is a cheap keyboard on each slave for inputting [tab][tab]password for the first windows login.

Hannes
Why? I do it all from my DAW. There is something not correct about your setup if you need to do this.

D

Great... sounds all very good guys.

So i guess i will take the windowsRD route.
What do the teleport users here think, should i wait for basement arts DSPbridge

https://www.basementarts.de/

or will FX-teleport be the tested and secure way to go?

Do you see any potential advantages in DSPbridge that FXteleport has not?
Apart from MAC-support of course...

thanks,
daka.

Great... sounds all very good guys.

So i guess i will take the windowsRD route.
What do the teleport users here think, should i wait for basement arts DSPbridge

https://www.basementarts.de/

or will FX-teleport be the tested and secure way to go?

Do you see any potential advantages in DSPbridge that FXteleport has not?
Apart from MAC-support of course...

thanks,
daka.
The advantage of FXT is that it exists. :roll:

D

Remember that Remote Desktop is something completely different from "taking over the mouse-kbd-screen using VNC applications! The latter is just remote control, the former is running a terminal session. For instance, you can't run your DAW via RD, because you will be missing the audio hardware and Midi in your session...

VNC is great to control sampler slaves. I use RD for starting a session on my Concert-Hall PC that starts FX-Teleport and then I close the RD window, leaving the session running.

Tip: always use FXT with a Gigabit connection - that makes a tremendous difference in latency compared to 100 Mbit!

Cheers,

Peter

Remember that Remote Desktop is something completely different from "taking over the mouse-kbd-screen using VNC applications! The latter is just remote control, the former is running a terminal session. For instance, you can't run your DAW via RD, because you will be missing the audio hardware and Midi in your session...

VNC is great to control sampler slaves. I use RD for starting a session on my Concert-Hall PC that starts FX-Teleport and then I close the RD window, leaving the session running.

Tip: always use FXT with a Gigabit connection - that makes a tremendous difference in latency compared to 100 Mbit!

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the hints peter. Now i see thing a bit clearer.
:)

cheers,
dk.

Hannes
Why? I do it all from my DAW. There is something not correct about your setup if you need to do this.

D

Hi Daryl,

As this is the reason I haven't bothered with RDC, could you explain how it should be set-up?. I've long thought there must be a solution but its never been a big enough issue for me to go searching.

Google, two minutes: ;)
https://kambiz.kamrani.net/2006/01/31/how-to-directly-boot-into-windows-xp-without-logging-in-or-entering-passwords/ (https://kambiz.kamrani.net/2006/01/31/ho ... passwords/)

"In the Windows world, RDC wipes the floor with VNC IMNSHO"

It does in the Mac world too.

"Remember that Remote Desktop is something completely different from "taking over the mouse-kbd-screen using VNC applications! The latter is just remote control, the former is running a terminal session. For instance, you can't run your DAW via RD, because you will be missing the audio hardware and Midi in your session... "

Can you explain that, Peter? I don't follow, in other words I run DAWs on my slaves using RDC all the time, and they access their local hardware no problem.

Top Bottom