XLN Audio XO

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by stfciu, Apr 9, 2019.

1. stfciu

stfciu Active Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Interesting concept. Some fresh approach on beat making. Most important thing imo is that it is actually more aimed on using your own samples then the factory ones.

https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/xo

Best Regards,
    Sebastian

LinusW likes this.
  2. KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    A fresh approach on beat making that has been done before by Algonaut Atlas, in almost exactly the same way (minus the sequencer): https://www.algonaut.tech/

kleotessard and Sibelius19 like this.
  3. berto

berto New Member

Mar 24, 2018
    ooopss!!!
    Ignorance is bliss... When i first saw XO i thought, what a great idea!!!
    Why did i not notice Atlas?
    Marketing is a strange beast...

4. KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    Not a dig at you, a dig at XLN for basically remaking Atlas.

On the plus side Atlas is on sale for $49 at the moment.

kleotessard likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    stfciu

stfciu Active Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Thanks for the info. Was not aware of that.

6. Sibelius19

Sibelius19 Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy

Dec 12, 2015
    Michigan USA
    Looks a lot more advanced compared to Atlas. At least from the few videos I've watched.

pderbidge likes this.
  7. LinusW

LinusW Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I made some of the presets. I can't say much but it's a bit naive to expect that XO development started after Atlas came to the market. That's just stirring the pot.
    I think XLN made a brilliant thingie. But try it for yourself, there is a trial version.

pderbidge and Sibelius19 like this.
  8. mouse

mouse Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I have atlas and just bought xo. Looks to be a bit more feature rich so interested to dabble with it

sostenuto and Sibelius19 like this.
  9. stefangx

stefangx New Member

Nov 22, 2016
    a sequencer is being added to atlas in v1.5.

KallumS, Joe Maron and Sibelius19 like this.
  10. unclecheeks

unclecheeks Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I literally just bought atlas the other day, ha! How do you like xo compared to it? And does it work similarly with being able to create and hot swap different collection "maps"?

11. mouse

mouse Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Only downloaded xo yesterday so have yet to try it out. From the looks of it though it seems it works very similarly to how atlas does it but with more additional features

12. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    Way way way more deep than Atlas based on the videos I've seen so far. Between the two in their current state I'd take XO in a heart beat over Atlas, however with the $50 sale right now Atlas is enticing and if they update it to have more midi patterns, battery like sound shaping controls and a swing function, then grabbing Atlas now could be a steal.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  13. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Keep in mind XLN does a half price sale, I think twice a year, as well. So I might just pick this up when it’s closer to $90.

pderbidge likes this.
  14. macmac

macmac Active Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Being new though, XO might be exempt from the sale for a while...IIRC they've done that in the past.

15. P3TAAL

P3TAAL New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    In my opinion all the Atlas people have to do is make there software as aesthetically pleasing to look at and they will be fine. XO might just be a little too deep 'at least for my needs'. The simplicity of Atlas appeals to me.

unclecheeks and KallumS like this.
  16. unclecheeks

unclecheeks Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I had a quick look at the XO tutorials. While the sequencer is a neat feature, I don't know how useful it would be at the end of the day - I use the sequencer (piano roll) in Live for everything else, so having to use a different built-in sequencer just adds more complication. Plus, it's not clear to me whether you can do things like rolls / triplets or work with anything other than 4/4. I suppose you could drag and drop the midi from there into your DAW for further editing.

One feature that I like about Atlas is that you can create smaller curated sample "maps" and switch them out on the fly as you build your kit. In XO, it looks like it's just one giant map that makes it a little unwieldy, especially when you're working with an enormous library. I like that I can "sandbox" content better in Atlas.

Which also raises a UI question - seems to me that choosing samples is done with the mouse in XO. Atlas allow you to navigate/preview sounds with the arrow keys (and even load them to the currently selected slot), which is super helpful. My tendinitis is happy this way.

Also, one major limitation is see with XO (and I'm not 100% sure on this), is that you can only work with 8 drum slots at once. Atlas allows up to 64.

I picked up Atlas right before XO was released. $50 for Atlas vs $179 for XO. Even at the regular $100 price for Atlas, I think I'd still go with Atlas, even if it doesn't (yet) have a sequencer or some of the bells and whistles. As P3TAAL said, the simplicity appeals to me.

I'll also say that the Atlas developers have been super responsive. I fired off a list of suggestions and got a detailed response within a couple of hours, and they seem very open to feedback from their users. For that, I'm happy to continue supporting them.

KallumS and sostenuto like this.
  17. biggiantcircles

biggiantcircles Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Dallas
    Downloading the demo right now.

I can't find any info on XLN's site, but how does it go about building the database for all your samples? I've got drum samples laying around all over my samples hard drive. I'm just curious what the process is like for importing them, and how long it takes, etc.

18. unclecheeks

unclecheeks Member

Apr 13, 2018
    From what I gather from the pluginboutique walkthrough vid on YT, the folder button at the top right opens up a menu where you can add folder locations to the list. Then rescan and they get added to the map

biggiantcircles likes this.
  19. Xilef

Xilef New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I tried XO out. Importing samples is quick and the AI works very well - sorting them correctly to kicks, snares etc.

As for the navigation: you can navigate with arrow keys but it seems only through the 'similarities'. For me the mouse 'drawing' is much faster.

What I really found interesting is that you can randomize the similarities and the beats independently. This could end in nice inspirations, new sounds..

I like this tool for getting new ideas with all the thousands of one shots on disk :D but I think it's a bit too expensive right now 'only' for an organizing and inspiration tool. Although I appreciate the work of the programers.

biggiantcircles likes this.
  20. gmon

gmon New Member

Aug 30, 2016
    The sequencer part of XO is awesome. I really like the Beat Combiner in the "Playground". Lots of ways to quickly come up with quality beat variations. Combined with the curation of all of your drum samples, it's pretty amazing tool.

The biggest problem I see with the XO sequencer is that there is currently no way to import MIDI patterns into XO. So you only have the 100 or so included MIDI patterns, although with lots of ways to make custom variations. I have a lot of MIDI patterns I've made and acquired for my favorite drum beat styles. I suppose I could manually enter them into the XO sequencer, but an import function would be much better. In the Plugin Boutique video they talk about making expansion packs for XO in the future, so I have to believe there will be a way to add to the MIDI patterns at some point.

The other limitation of the sequencer is the limitation to 8 lanes. 16 would be better.

With improvements on MIDI pattern import and more lanes, I could see using the XO sequencer for all of my drum work and not even do editing in the DAW sequencer. Anyone else feel this way about the XO sequencer?