Would The Akai MPK249 or the MPK261 Be A Good Orchestral MIDI Controller?

Which Would You Pick For A Travel Controller?

• Akai MPK249

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Akai MPK261

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other, Posting Below...

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

ryevick

I'm new to orchestral sample libraries and looking for a MIDI Controller to take when traveling, for orchestral work. Has anyone tried the Akai MPK249 or the MPK261? I wish the faders where on the left side or middle but it looks like it could handle articulations pretty well, even via pedals.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Depends on your preferences. For me, I love the feeling of the keys on the MPK series, but those keyboards are too big for my ergonomics. I also use faders with my left hand, so it would drive me nuts to have them stuck on the right side. And to travel with either of those? Way too big!

but just my two cents. Everyone is different!

OP
ryevick

ryevick

Novation Impulse. Left side faders were a critical factor in deciding to get one. It's the only 61 key controller I've ever had that I really like. They make 49 too.
I'm also wondering if some of you have tried and like using a standard type keyboard controller and adding a peripheral controller on the side with everything else but keys, using them in tandem.

GtrString

Imo, ideally, you'd want a fully weighted controller for orchestral work. I've found those have a more natural response, and require less post editing.

Something like the M-Audio Hammer 88, Arturia Keylab 88 or NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2. A (maybe used?) digital piano with midi and jogs would also do the trick.

Quasar

I'm also wondering if some of you have tried and like using a standard type keyboard controller and adding a peripheral controller on the side with everything else but keys, using them in tandem.
Besides being my 61 key "light action" keyboard controller, the Novation essentially performs this function for my 88 key Yamaha CP33.

I'm a big believer in getting a decent digital stage piano for a full-weighted piano-like experience rather than a controller per se... Especially on a budget, you can find better build quality for less money. The CP33 cost less than $500 used at reverb.com and it has been a champ.

OP
ryevick

ryevick

I own a Yamaha KX8 fully weighted controller that has an amazing feel for piano. I'm really looking for a 61 key with left side faders and aftertouch to use with string libraries and the like.

Quasar

Imo, ideally, you'd want a fully weighted controller for orchestral work. I've found those have a more natural response, and require less post editing.

Something like the M-Audio Hammer 88, Arturia Keylab 88 or NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2. A (maybe used?) digital piano with midi and jogs would also do the trick.
The fully weighted digital piano is certainly my primary and most important keyboard, but I don't think you can generalize about this, since people have vastly different subjective relationships with anything tactile and playable. A non-piano player will likely approach it differently than a piano player, for instance. I like the lighter action and aftertouch for some (though not all) non-percussive VIs.

OP
ryevick

ryevick

I also own the Yamaha MX61 and I have no problems playing piano and more with it, great feel but if I'm looking at just playing a piano part the KX8 is the one hands down.

Right now it looks like from my searching so far that Quasar's recommendation of the Novation Impulse 61 may be the way I go. I wish they had different software bundled though. I already own all of the XLN Audio Addictive Keys and the Novation Bass Station.

I'm still looking for recommendations though.

rrichard63

Perpetual Novice
A number of the suggestions here are valuable input for someone planning a studio. @ryevick is looking for a compact keyboard for travel. I think that's a different discussion.

OP
ryevick

ryevick

A number of the suggestions here are valuable input for someone planning a studio. @ryevick is looking for a compact keyboard for travel. I think that's a different discussion.
Correct! I am now wanting a 61 key though. I just came across the Roland A-800 PRO and the M-Audio Code 61. The both look interesting.

Just help drive the subjective point home....I do all my orchestral (and other) work on a Akai LPK25 (keys) and Korg Nanokontrol2 (faders). Super portable and I can move them wherever I want them on my desk ie - front and center for performance or off to the side when not in use. Full disclosure: I’m not a piano player!

Oxytoxine

I'm thinking the Nektar Panorama T6 61 might be the one!

I'm also considering this one to complement my 88 weighted keys. The DAW and plugin integration seems to be second to none. The Nektarine software seems to be in many ways what Komplete control should have been, and even without it, the DAW integration is very deep. One can even "stagger" several of the units and use them together in different control modes (DAW, instrument). I watched several videos, and the integration is stunningly deep. I do not know why, but in our area, most shops do not have them, so I could not try it out by myself and can not comment on the keybed.

Another good option seems to be the Arturia mkII. unfortunately the faders are on the right side, but judging from videos, it seems to function nicely as a DAW and instrument controller, and the build quality seems to better than their first series.

I can not personally comment on the Novation Impulse - the hardware looks nice, but from what I read the Automapping software seems to be a complete disaster (e.g. generating dlls for every plug you own). But one can probably use it just fine without as a general midi controller.

I'm anyway wondering whether all this DAW and soft synth integration really enhances workflow (e.g. the depth of Nektarine seems really daunting to wrap ones head around) or whether it would not be much simpler to just use some faders in the old fashioned midi way to control the most important cc's in Kontakt (because you wrote specifically about using Orchestral libraries).

Good luck and let us know how you like the T6! I will buy one in the next days.

Last edited:
OP
ryevick

ryevick

Yeah I'm pretty much sold on it. I watched a lot of videos on it yesterday. Here are two you should watch. The second one focuses on my DAW Studio One but I'm sure it would relate to other DAWs (the real info is in the 2nd half). I'm also going with the 61 which is only 6" longer than the 49 and it should fit in my Yamaha MX61 case/bag so I won't have to buy a case.

Last edited:
OP
ryevick

ryevick

The only drawback that I really don't like about the T6 is you can't split the keyboard.