1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would tattoos effect my ability to have a successful career in media composition?

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by KEM, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jmauz

jmauz Senior Member

Yes, any tattoos will significantly hinder your aspirations as a media composer. Especially ones that can be covered up. We spend A LOT of time with other people while we write; that little tattoo underneath your shirt will certainly offend someone eventually. People in this industry are very conservative and have little creative tendencies so any sort of expression is risky.

In fact, your outward appearance is much more important than your music so you should spend the majority of your day worrying about how you look.

:rofl:

Henu and sekkosiki like this.
  2. Get a tramp stamp of the alto clef.

Henu likes this.
  3. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    Just don’t go into the parkour drunk. That nice shiny dragon you pick out may end up being a monkey taking a dump on your arm when your sober....

Nick Batzdorf likes this.
  4. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Okay, okay, my suggestion:

"Nick Batzdorf is SO cool"

But in gothic letters, please.

tmhuud likes this.
  5. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Or you could get the one we saw on a guy at the beach, also in gothic letters, across his belly:

Drink Fight Fuck

My hunch is that he does a lot of the first two and not a lot of the third.

tmhuud likes this.
  6. jhughes

jhughes Senior Member

May 12, 2017
    Georgia
    I am sure some people won’t hire you because of it. People judge based on looks, how cool you are, other things, some of which are dumb. Some people won’t care about your tattoos.

I know musicians that work gigs around a lot of upperclass people and I have heard them say they won’t hire specific players due to too many tattoos. I have also heard a fool say he only hires women with a certain look for gigs. Image does matter with some gigs and some people. To say otherwise is to ignore how judgemental people can be.

Much of this probably depends on the style of music and who the target audience is. With some it works to your advantage. At the end of the day do what makes you happy. Composing it should matter less.

7. chillbot

chillbot Forum Bot

Feb 6, 2014
    La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Theater, yes maybe.

Have to agree with AllanH here.

Times are changing for sure. For the better. But Hollywood is currently run by a bunch of "old farts" (like Allan).

If your music is good enough it likely won't matter. But to think you won't be judged in a certain way because of your tattoos is naive.

AllanH likes this.
  8. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    Sorry, not my first language and three kids disturbing at the same time in the same room, hah! So obviously, I am always treated as a professional despite of my "features".

gussunkri likes this.