Woodwinds to go with CSS and CSB

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jimjazzuk, Mar 2, 2019.

1. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

I use Close Mic but layered with CSSS' Mix Mic. I like the timbre of the close mic. it has a more detailed vibrato. There's no right no wrong here though. It's all about personal preference. You may also use Mix Mic for CSS and then layered with CSSS Mix mic as well. I did EQ the High Freq after layering though. I'll show an example soon for a re-orchestrated version of my past works with CSS, CSSS, CSB and Berlin Woodwinds Legacy in action (a new orchestral template which i've just done few days ago)

2. Benjamin Duk

Benjamin Duk Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Thanks for the info. Always interesting to find out how other people approach things. Looking forward to seeing/hearing your re-orchestrated pieces :D

3. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Hi Ben,

here's the example of Berlin woodwinds in action with the rest of CSS, CSSS and CSB libraries (Strings Shorts are from Symphobia). Here' are some of my re-orchestrated pieces of some of the works i did for a fan made album for Final Fantasy Tactics.

4. Benjamin Duk

Benjamin Duk Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Very nice pieces! I really like the mix you have going with these.

5. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Thanks.

6. Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Both a budget option and an amazing sound: VSL Woodwinds SE.

NeonMediaKJT likes this.
  7. NeonMediaKJT

NeonMediaKJT New Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Hello everyone. I'm also looking for a decent woodwinds library that isn't too expensive until CSW comes out. Currently using Cinewinds Core and I'm lacking English Horn and Bass Clarinet. I'm not really wanting to upgrade to the Pro version.

I've seen a few people mention VSL Woodwinds SE and my questions are these:
    Considering VSL Woodwinds are fairly old, is the dynamic range okay?
    Does anyone have both VSL and Cinewinds that could give me their thoughts?
    Is the VSL player okay? I've never owned a VSL library before, so I have no idea how well VSL player runs.

Anyway, cheers!

8. Scamper

Scamper Active Member

Dec 11, 2014
    My main woodwinds are VSL Woods SE and Cinewinds Core so far.
    I find the dynamic range of the VSL SE Woodwinds quite alright. Could be better, but it's pretty much p to f. What I don't like about the 3 dynamic layers in the SE is that the transitions are quite noticeable. Regarding this, I have some examples of the dynamic fades for the instruments of the SE and full instruments, that you can check out. Still, I find it pretty usable and less of an issue in context.
    I've also never had issues with the VSL player, I think it's pretty solid and easy to use. Would like it even more without the dongle though.

Attached Files:

NeonMediaKJT likes this.
  9. Joe Totino

Joe Totino New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Sonokinetic Woodwinds are Ok. I was a bit disappointed, the version I bought doesn't have legato (not sure if the PRO features that) but the sound is excellent. I use it layered with ensemble libraries like Albion One. I had also been considering CineWinds but I've read mixed things about it, so I'm on the fence. I know you're not looking for Solo stuff, but the 8DIO Clarie series is awesome, very playable!

10. NeonMediaKJT

NeonMediaKJT New Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Thanks very much for that! Would you say VSL goes well with Cinewinds core? Or do you use one more than the other? Would it be a good addition to Cinewinds?

11. Scamper

Scamper Active Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Since I'm not totally happy with either Cinewinds or VSL SE winds, I certainly prefer to have both at the moment. VSL has a bit fewer articulations and the legato is simpler, but it's good to have the extended instruments (English Horn, Bass Clarinet, Contrabassoon). Also, it's good to have a choice of different tones for instruments and I often prefer the tone of some VSL woodwinds, like the flute.
    I find the tone of woodwind libraries can often be not quite right or the way I like it. So, until there is a library, that I'm really into (hoping for CSW), the mix-and-match approach should be fine and for the cheap price of the VSL SE woods, I think they are well worth it.

NeonMediaKJT likes this.
  12. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

13. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    VSL SE fills my limited needs. I also have Cinesamples Hollywood Winds which gave me some nicely recorded runs, trills , clusters etc., and it was very reasonably priced.

NeonMediaKJT likes this.
  14. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    One thing: the "to go with xxx" library part of the question isn't important, i.e. you just want a WW library you like.

It's really a wonder how you can combine lots of totally different spaces in a recording and the brain doesn't question it for one second. I don't know why that is, but it is.

Saxer and constaneum like this.
  15. arcy

arcy Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Italy
    I have CSS and I use VSL. I prefer to buy a single instrument from VSL in the standard version.

constaneum likes this.