Woodwinds to go with CSS and CSB

jimjazzuk

Hi guys,

I have invested in CSS, CSB and True Strike Percussion. I really want to complete my orchestral template with woodwinds. I have looked at various 'budget' options whilst I wait for CSWW, but I've not been that impressed with any of them. None of them stack up to the quality of the Cinematic Studio offerings. If money was not a factor, which woodwind libraries would you use/are you using alongside the Cinematic Studio Series at the moment?

(p.s. I'm writing in Romantic - 20th C John Williams styles, not necessarily looking for solo/exposed woodwinds, but that might be a bonus)

Gerbil

I'd probably opt for Cinewinds with Hollywoodwinds for that style if I could only choose one developer from my libraries.

JohnBMears

Most luck here with Legacy BWW, EW Hollywood Woodwinds would work and so would CineWinds. Comparing room sizes, etc...

Syneast

I too have invested in CSS, CSSS, CSB and CSP to go with True Strike, so I'm looking for the same kind of woodwinds.

I have Hollywood Woodwinds, VSL SE and Berlin Inspire. Since I would like to stay within Kontakt I think I'll go with Inspire more often than not. They have a similar release tail to the Cinematic Studio Series, and they're pretty close-mixed. It doesn't have separate bassoon or oboe, but I mostly write with ensemble winds anyway.

Strezov Woodwinds have a pretty similar sound to what I imagine CSW would sound like; roomy, romantic, smooth and old-fashioned. It's only flutes and bassoons though, but maybe you could compliment them with something else. They sound gorgeous.

jamwerks

WW's are currently the weakest libraries. Century WW's might be fantastic as should CSWW's, if you can wait. VSL is worth having in the meantime...

TheSigillite

I was in the exact same investment with CSS, CSSS, & CSB and decided on Spitfire woodwinds (my decision was based on sound, cost, & resources). My Top sound pick was Berlin woodwinds, but cost and resources outweighed this. I'm very happy with SF Symphonic Woodwinds and they have a very small resource footprint. Once Berlin opens their libraries to purchase single instruments, i will look into individual libraries for solo instruments.

OP
J

jimjazzuk

I've found the VSL SE woodwind demos very satisfying... very natural sounding for an older 'budget' library. Have any of you had success with it?

dariusofwest

I've found the VSL SE woodwind demos very satisfying... very natural sounding for an older 'budget' library. Have any of you had success with it?
Hi Jim!

I'm using the VSL SE winds as my only winds currently and really enjoy them. Really good tone and playablity.

Scamper

Sample Hooter
I also like the VSL SE woodwinds and their sound and I'm not even into dry libraries usually. Especially, I like the tone of the flute, bassoon and contrabassoon and the others are good too, but not that great for my liking. It seems to be the issue with woodwind libraries in general, that they get the character and sound of some instruments very nicely, but others less so, at least for me and from what I've heard. So, I'm very curious about CSW.
The main issue with the SE is probably the noticeable change between the 3 dynamic layers and the lack of more than basic articulations, if you need them.

Brian Nowak

I'm also using Berlin WW Revive and Berlin Percussion with CSS/CSB and it has been working out fine. Revive is a bit on the quiet side so I usually turn them up to get them to speak properly with the others.

Though I won't lie. The minute CSWW comes out I'll be all over them. I hope percussion follows shortly.

Syneast

Spitfire Studio Woodwinds could otherwise be an obvious choice since they were recorded in a studio too.

I just picked up Spitfire Studio Woodwinds, and I’m planning on using it with CSS and CSB. From what Noam has said in the SStW thread, it’s sits really nicely with those libraries.
Unfortunately, their intro sale just ended...

constaneum

What volume to you find is a good balance with Berlin Woods and CSS, CSB. For example do you use the woods at default levels for BWW with default levels of CSB and CSS?
I do increase the volume by a few dBs. Even with CSS, i also increase the dB a bit.

By the way, my setup might be a bit different coz i'm trying to simulate a concert hall, not the studio kind of sound. For my latest's template setup, my setup as following

1) Strings
- CSS (close mic)
- CSSS (mix mic , +3 dB) - for layering to enrich the sound of CSS

2) Brass
- CSB (default setting)

3) Woodwinds
- all switch to close mic (default mix sounds too thick for my current setup's taste) with some EQ here and there (different instruments different EQ). dB i generally increase by 6dB (of coz, certain instruments you might wanna increase more coz i found the loudness of each instrument sounds different. Some sounds louder, some sounds softer. Seems like some inconsistencies in the recording? not sure.

But if i get the chance, i'll like to collect CSW. I prefer that kind of recorded in the same room for consistencies of room and based on the quality for both CSB & CSS, it can be guaranteed that CSW would be another great product but of coz, there'll be some limitations as well. For instance. woodwind runs. Would it be as great as hollywoodwinds or berlin woodwinds for the runs (berlin woodwinds has both playable runs and recorded runs' patches which i'm loving them. Dont forget berlin has 8va flute as well)?

JohnBMears

I do increase the volume by a few dBs. Even with CSS, i also increase the dB a bit.

By the way, my setup might be a bit different coz i'm trying to simulate a concert hall, not the studio kind of sound. For my latest's template setup, my setup as following

1) Strings
- CSS (close mic)

2) Brass
- CSB (default setting)

3) Woodwinds
- all switch to close mic (default mix sounds too thick for my current setup's taste) with some EQ here and there (different instruments different EQ). dB i generally increase by 6dB (of coz, certain instruments you might wanna increase more coz i found the loudness of each instrument sounds different. Some sounds louder, some sounds softer. Seems like some inconsistencies in the recording? not sure.

But if i get the chance, i'll like to collect CSW. I prefer that kind of recorded in the same room for consistencies of room and based on the quality for both CSB & CSS, it can be guaranteed that CSW would be another great product but of coz, there'll be some limitations as well. For instance. woodwind runs. Would it be as great as hollywoodwinds or berlin woodwinds for the runs (berlin woodwinds has both playable runs and recorded runs' patches which i'm loving them. Dont forget berlin has 8va flute as well)?
Does this all refer to Berlin Woodwinds Legacy? Or Berlin Woodwinds Revive?

1) Strings
- CSS (close mic)

2) Brass
- CSB (default setting)

3) Woodwinds

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

Do you only use Close Mics for CSS? Do you find that with the trees and ambient that it loses definition?