1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodchester Piano - New from Fracture Sounds

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by willbedford, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Hi guys, a few people have asked about my trailer track 'Between Us' - I did a little commentary/deconstruction of it along with some general background about the library, so hopefully some of you will find that interesting! There's an extended version on The Samplecast Episode 67 too. Feel free to shoot me any questions - really happy you're enjoying the library, and great to hear some tracks coming together with it already.

dflood, Saxer, NoamL and 7 others like this.
  2. wcb123

wcb123 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for that James. Thorn as in Dimitry Sches's Thorn? A bit surprised by that because it seems geared more towards Electronic Glitchey kinda stuff . I've only demoed it briefly so dont really know but are you importing your own sounds and then using the step sequencer to build rhythms? Or maybe using it's arpeggiator to trigger other percussive libs?
  3. That's the one, mainly building custom patches from presets. I find the GUI very logical, and something about the harmonic oscs/filters seems to lend itself to subtle cinematic underscore stuff. Not using anywhere near its full potential though.
    wcb123 and sostenuto like this.
  4. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Well ... your Post likely expanded purchase plans to include both Woodchester Piano and Thorn. Dmitry Sches' Tantra is a fav, and have pondered Thorn for some time. Sounds like the combo will be a cool new project. THX ! :thumbsup:
  5. reddognoyz

reddognoyz Senior Member

I got it, I like it and it's one of those sounds that will sit well under dialog
  6. pulse

pulse Senior Member

Great work on this! It has lots of personality! Congrats! :)
    willbedford likes this.
  7. Jaap

Jaap Yes that is an alto flute

Got this one today as well and it is really great. Awesome work on this! Absolutely loving the sound of this when playing around with it (and very addictive and inspiring).
    willbedford likes this.
  8. Mucusman

Mucusman Enthusiastic hobbyist

Feb 28, 2016
    Put this as the signature item on my birthday list (my birthday is in a few days from now), which I gave to my wife the other day. Good news is that even if she doesn't get it for me... I'll pick it up anyway. So looking forward to this. Sounds great, and I'm realizing that I do write better melodies just using a piano (VST).
    wcb123 and willbedford like this.
  9. anderslink

anderslink Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Man this is such an instant purchase. It's embarrassing how quickly I was sold on this but it must be because Spitfire's OA piano and various other felt pianos are such primary composition tools for me. Also the Phantom Thread score is all I've been thinking about lately... so yeah good timing releasing this library haha.

Sample start control too!! YAY!! That is a hugely important control for this library. does it slide all samples by the same amount (I'm assuming it does)? If so it's so easy to just perform it in the middle, move it all the way to the left, and nudge all the samples slightly to the left a bit. How many milliseconds would that be about?

Also I almost wish there were two pedal noise options. It's so soft! But I love it :)

Thank you!!!!!!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    willbedford likes this.
  10. OP

willbedford Composer/Programmer

Nov 16, 2014
    The full range of the sample start slider is about 25ms, so the time difference between 0 and 50% is about 12.5ms. I’d fine tune the nudge time by ear though!
    anderslink likes this.
  11. Niah2

Niah2 Senior Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I would love to see evolutions with solo strings. Yes you have the first olafur's evos but they are stacked together. I would love to just have solo violin evos, violas evos, cellos, basses, seperated. Either evos or simply moving arts like NOVO, or intimate textures.
    Fry777 likes this.
  12. Hat_Tricky

Hat_Tricky Senior Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Anyone have a sample of how it sounds with no reverb? i'm assuming its pretty dry and able to take on whatever reverb plugin you like, but I'd like to hear what it sounds like with reverb at 0 (esp in the low range)
  13. Silence-is-Golden

Silence-is-Golden ^^

Jun 8, 2015
    Lovely piano as it is.......indeed easy to spend time just playing .......I regularly encounter some mild distorted sounds that may be related to the CPU spikes that it causes in Logic X 10.2.4 on Yosemite OS (yeah, so far I don't want to give up on a winning team with the iMac I use)

Is there specific scripting going on that may cause this? and has anyone else encountered this? (I guess not otherwise it would have surely been reported here :D)

I have send a request to the dev already.... and any answer that is relevant to more users I will post here.
  14. OP

Nov 16, 2014
    Sent you another email... This definitely seems like an isolated case, but hopefully we can work it out. :)
  15. OP

Nov 16, 2014
    As the intro sale draws to a close, we are sharing more video/audio examples of individual features of the library. Here's a short demo of the atmosphere layers being performed with physical faders.
    These are mapped to CCs 22 to 25 by default, but can easily be remapped to any controller.

johnbusbymusic likes this.
  16. OP

Nov 16, 2014
    Another short video, this time demonstrating the piano noise layers.

johnbusbymusic likes this.
  17. NathanTiemeyer

NathanTiemeyer Senior Member

Sep 19, 2016
    LOVE this piano. Definitely recommend picking it up while it's still on an intro price sale!
  18. Hat_Tricky

Hat_Tricky Senior Member

Sep 19, 2015
    I might have missed it (i watched all the videos i could find), but are there any examples of the paino sound with the reverb off or at 0? thanks!
  19. pfmusic

pfmusic Senior Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Love this piano and love the sound. This will definitely get used in one of my film projects later this year.

Inspired work.

Well done to James and Fracture Sounds.
  20. leon chevalier

leon chevalier Looking for time to compose...

Nov 19, 2015
    Congrats guys !
    I just has a look to your products and they all sound good !

Have you think of an "everything bundle" ? I may be tempted :emoji_yum: