Wojciech Kilar - The Journey (Mockup)

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by rottoy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. rottoy

rottoy Goldmember

May 12, 2013
    Tonight I had some fun mocking up this theme from the fantastic "Bram Stoker's Dracula" score by Wojciech Kilar. Mainly done to test out part of my template.

Strings: CSSS, Cornucopia Strings 2, Auddict USE
    Winds: CineWinds Core
    Brass: CineBrass Pro
    Percussion: True Strike

ka00, whitewasteland and miket like this.
  2. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Listening on laptop speakers so couldn't really hear if you had tubas in the beginning half?

This is not from the movie, right? It doesn't appear in this form anyway, so did you transcribe a soundtrack release?

I don't know if you tempo mapped it, but seems a ta-a-a-d slow.

3. OP
    OP
    rottoy

rottoy Goldmember

May 12, 2013
    It’s transcribed from a piece on the 3 CD Limited Edition soundtrack release by La-La Land. https://lalalandrecords.com/bram-stokers-dracula-limited-edition-3-cd-set/
    Track 2. The Journey (original extended version) 3:28

There’s a tuba playing with the bassoons in the beginning part, yes.

4. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I see. It must be a cut up of the recordings then. If it's the original recordings the tubas play in octaves though.

5. OP
    OP
    rottoy

rottoy Goldmember

May 12, 2013
    The tuba is playing in octaves with the contrabassoon/bassoon.

bryla likes this.
  6. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Okay then. Couldn't hear it properly in my environment.
    Good job on the mock up! Apart from what to me is a strange ending it captures the spirit of the score. I'm working intensely with it now so it was fun to hear a sample version that sounds pretty much alike.
    If anything: the timpani has a release/room that I don't remember in the score. That might sound different on your reference and keep in mind that my reference is the film. This soundtrack has had a strange life and been cut up and remixed multiple times.

rottoy likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    rottoy

rottoy Goldmember

May 12, 2013
    Thanks! The point of this was to see if I could pull off the textures of that soundtrack with the samples I have.
    I tried to find a pleasing mix between dry and room mics for the timpani, but I was never quite satisfied.

8. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    If it helps the timpani for The Journey was recorded separately so there's not that much bleed in it. Maybe restrict the hall mics or reverb.

rottoy likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    rottoy

rottoy Goldmember

May 12, 2013
    Thank you for that little info nugget! :grin:

10. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    You're welcome! I'm neck deep in the raw material and on the verge of insanity :) if you a curious about other things I can probably find it out.

rottoy likes this.