Wired In-Ear Headphone Recommendations

Nate Johnson

Looking to replace my Bose something-or-others which I’ve had for a looooong time. They are very comfortable but are a little hyped in the mids (fine for listening) for my audio experiments. My daily drivers are a pair of AKG K702’s which I absolutely love top to bottom - but I want to have something quick and dirty I can just plug directly into my laptop (702’s need a preamp or interface).

So yeah, if there is something wired, in ear, comfortable and sounds great - let me know!

rnieto

Musical Mongrel
This is going to sound funny, but if you want something dirt cheap that sounds pretty good, a friend let me try these and they blew my $450 Shure 535 in-ears out of the water. I was actually pretty mad at having paid so much for the Shures.

OP
Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson

This is going to sound funny, but if you want something dirt cheap that sounds pretty good, a friend let me try these and they blew my $450 Shure 535 in-ears out of the water. I was actually pretty mad at having paid so much for the Shures.
huh, no kidding - I'll check em out! Thanks

davinwv

KZ will replace those AS10s soon with the ASXs - 10 BAs per side! These should get a bit cheaper once Amazon is selling them directly.

I've owned several pairs of KZs: ZS6, ZS10, AS10, AS12, and I just got the new ZAX set. They just keep getting better and better!

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
If you get your own silicon mold it helps immensely.
Less decibels, higher quality sound, etc.

rnieto

Musical Mongrel
KZ will replace those AS10s soon with the ASXs - 10 BAs per side! These should get a bit cheaper once Amazon is selling them directly.

I've owned several pairs of KZs: ZS6, ZS10, AS10, AS12, and I just got the new ZAX set. They just keep getting better and better!
Isn't it ridiculous how good they sound for the price? And if you happen to lose them, it's like "oh man" instead of "GAAAAAAHHHH!"

davinwv

Isn't it ridiculous how good they sound for the price? And if you happen to lose them, it's like "oh man" instead of "GAAAAAAHHHH!"
I completely agree! I use them as IEMs on live gigs, so I really like the replaceability factor.

I'm getting ready to sell a few of my spare sets & keep only the ZAX & the ASX once I get the latter.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
A bit confused with all the KZ offerings and no prior experience .... BUT .... have Amazon (Warehouse - like New) set of AS10 w/Mic, arriving today for $36. Was going to return & jump to Linsoul KZ ZSX for $54. , so now may keep ??? o_O No huge deal, so maybe flip a coin .... Aarrgghh ! Haaalp ....

If AS10 is really close, will just keep and enjoy ! :barefoot: Not sure where I'm going with this, having quality open-back studio headphones and dedicated preamp. Are most using these for smartphones or latops ?

Last edited:

SupremeFist

The ZAX & AS10 are even better, and the ASX promises to be amazing, too!

Glad you like the ZSX, though.
The model names sure are confusing! From what I was able to tell the ZSX is supposedly more advanced than the AS10 (one moar driver each side), but I'll definitely keep an eye on the ASX as a step up, they are all so relatively cheap. (And blow away my previous faves from Degauss Labs.)

davinwv

The model names sure are confusing! From what I was able to tell the ZSX is supposedly more advanced than the AS10 (one moar driver each side), but I'll definitely keep an eye on the ASX as a step up, they are all so relatively cheap. (And blow away my previous faves from Degauss Labs.)
Most of the time, the A-series features balanced armatures only & the Z-series features dynamic drivers; however, the ZAX features both types of drivers.

The ASX is billed as an AS10 on steroids (twice as many BAs per side), while the ASF is the true spiritual successor to the AS10 (still 5 BAs per side).

I use these mostly for live IEM gigs. It is nice to know that if something happens to one of these sets on stage, I can replace it quickly and cheaply from Amazon.

Currently, I use AS10s as my primary set with ZS10s as backup. I also have a pair of AS12s that I have never opened.

However, I got a set of ZAXs in September (they sound great!) & am planning to grab ASXs and maybe ASFs. I imagine my new lineup will be ASXs or ASFs as primary and ZAXs as backup.