Windows 10, VEP Standalone, and MIDI over Ethernet

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by benatural, Apr 6, 2019.

1. benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Trying to find a solution for sending MIDI over network to VEP in standalone mode on Windows 10.

MIDIOverLAN used to be the way I did this, but it's discontinued. I own a couple version 2 licenses, but don't have an installer anymore. MusicLab won't provide me with one.

I just tried rtpMIDI and loopMIDI, but these don't show up as a MIDI device in VEP Standalone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... Does anyone know how to get this configuration to work?

If not, does anyone know of a solution similar to MOL that works in this use case? Hardware solutions are, unfortunately, not an option.

Thanks in advance!

2. OP
    OP
    benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Forgot to ask... On the off chance, does anyone have an older installer of MOLCP v2? I have two MOLCP.key files, but nothing to use then with.

3. Dex

Dex Member

Nov 21, 2017
    In loopmidi you need to create a midi device (+ button if I remember correctly). Name it whatever you want and it should be visible to your software.

benatural likes this.
  4. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I’m still using MidiOverLAN CP. most recent version runs fine

benatural likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Thank you. Strange, I don't think it shows up in Vienna Ensemble Pro Stand-alone's MIDI Input Devices list. Do you know if it's supposed to show up there?

6. Dex

Dex Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Dunno. I don't have VEP. It just sounded like you were new to loopmidi so I figured I'd try to help on that end.

It might help to post a screenshot of your configurations.

7. OP
    OP
    benatural

benatural Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Thanks for offering to take a look. I will post something when I'm back in the studio.

8. Synetos

Synetos Gear Addict

Feb 1, 2016
    I am using IPMidi. It is working good and gives me 320 unique midi channels...which is more than enough for what I do, and the ability to just play my midi controller and trigger VSTs.

I have been playing around again with VEP Standalone after installing VEP7. I like how things are working.

I run Waves Soundgrid Studio, and moved all my VST instruments to my slave machines. This leaves me with about 50 stereo returns back to my DAW.

What I like about this setup, is I dont have any VSTs loaded on my DAW or in my template. VST slaves are running VEP7 Standalone, and that is all they do. Plus, not VEP buffer latency.

This setup allows me to have all the midi tracks I want, and then just use what I need. I can record the analog returns for my VSTs, and not even worry about VEP on my DAW at all. That totally frees up my DAW for processing and plugins. Now that I have added a Wave Extreme server, even that is mostly offloaded. My template is much simpler now, and that makes me want to create music.

benatural likes this.