Windows 10 settings / stuff you can turn off for music?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by JohnG, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Great stuff.

USB Power saving settings is another one, didn't spot it on the list.

Device Manager > Right Click on USB Device > Properties > Power Management and Unchecked "Allow this computer to turn off to save power"

2. Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    What helped me most was disabling c-state and turbo-boost and every power-saving option in windows (+slight overclock).

ChristopherDoucet, cqd and JohnG like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I am using onboard (from motherboard) graphics instead of Nvidia. I hear Nvidia have improved their drivers, so you could try bird-dogging it with Latencymon (run at least 5-15 minutes with a sequence playing).

Or you could experiment: ditch the card for a different one / use onboard graphics and see how it does.

I have two i9 machines and they perform far better than what I had (including an i7-7700k, which was far from terrible).

4. Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    If you use your iGPU, keep in mind that the CPU produces more heat and this could lower your performance / makes more noise. I use a GTX960 from MSI and have no big problems with it regarding latency.
    If you measure your latency on Windows 10 use LatencyMon instead of DPC latency Checker.

JohnG likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Hi Ben -- honestly, I doubt it makes much difference compared with the problems some GPU drivers produce. Since I substituted onboard graphics for the cards, it's night and day -- no comparison.

And good advice to use LatencyMon. Pretty sure there is actually a little guide on Native Instruments' website on how to use it to measure your system's performance.

Ben likes this.
  6. cqd

cqd Member

May 23, 2018
    I've been running latencymon, and it seems its the nvidea driver that's the worst offender anyway..new card should be with me within a day or two..

ChristopherDoucet and JohnG like this.
  7. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    For whatever reason, Windows superfetch suddenly started interfering two days ago spiking CPU and disk I/O on projects that otherwise had been running fine. I turned off the service.

This affected projects on Cubase 10. My guess is that Kontakt, Play, and Cubase do this on their own anyway.

8. sean8877

sean8877 Member

Nov 2, 2017