Will Kontakt 6 go on sale for Black Friday?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Larry Hanshaw, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Larry Hanshaw

Larry Hanshaw Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Since Kontakt 6 just came out last month, do you think it will go on sale during Native Instruments typical Black Friday sale? I've recently purchased a few libraries that require the full version of Kontakt and can't use them yet since I only have Kontakt player. I'm eligible for the crossgrade version which is a nice discount but if it will be half price in the next couple of weeks, I can wait for that.

Just wondered what you've experienced in past years when a new version has come out this close to Black Friday

sourcefor likes this.
  2. MillsMixx

MillsMixx Production Director/Sound Designer

Jan 23, 2015
    Seattle
    Last year 11/14-11/30 Native Instruments had 50% individual instruments and upgrades for their Thanksgiving XXL sale so I would definitely hold out and not buy until then. Looking back I see half off sales over that time each year.

3. OP
    OP
    Larry Hanshaw

Larry Hanshaw Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Thanks MillsMixx. I remember seeing the sale last year but since kontakt wasn't brand new last year I was wondering if it might be different this time around

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    I think it's too soon for that considering when it was released.

Ben H and Lee Blaske like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Larry Hanshaw

Larry Hanshaw Member

Apr 2, 2018
    That was kinda my thinking too. I guess we'll know for sure pretty soon. I think their big sale started last year on November 14th

6. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

When major retailers have their x% off sales, NI products are often listed as excluded from the sale in the fine print. But, if you call and ask (or message thru their site), you can often get a discount. So, if you're buying through a retailer, it would pay to directly ask, even if it's not listed as being on sale.

7. OP
    OP
    Larry Hanshaw

Larry Hanshaw Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Kontakt 5 came out September 2011, does anyone remember if it was on sale during Black Friday back in 2011? Maybe there's an old ad out there somewhere on Google that far back.

8. zadillo

zadillo Senior Member

Jul 16, 2017
    I'd be shocked if NI makes Kontakt 6, Komplete 12, etc. part of a 50% off sale so soon after releasing them.

9. Ben H

Ben H Senior Member

Mar 7, 2009
  10. OP
    OP
    Larry Hanshaw

Larry Hanshaw Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Kontakt 6 on sale beginning today through the end of November. Half off the full price. Doesn't look like the upgrade or crossgrade versions are half price but that's ok, still a discount for anyone who wants to step up from the player.

11. poetd

poetd Member

Sep 9, 2018
    A month and it's half price? That's quite surprising.

On K11U at the moment, so waiting patiently for an update sale, nothing in 12 that makes me feel the need to rush and I've not seen any "K6 only" instruments yet.

WindcryMusic likes this.
  12. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉuǝS

Oct 19, 2015
    A big +1 to this.

When I look at K12U, the only new things I see that have value for me are Kontakt 6 (eventually), Thrill (which I admit that I do want) and possibly Massive X (although I hardly ever have used Massive so I doubt it matters to me). All of the EDM-oriented "expansions" don't interest me at all ... in fact the audio samples thereof inspire my gag reflex more than anything else. I already own the full versions of the Symphony Series, so the Essentials are deeply non-essential. And I'm a guitarist so I don't want or need sampled guitar libraries when I can obtain better (or at least more individual) results by recording them live.

So, at this moment the Kontakt 6 upgrade would be $99, Thrill would be $149 and Massive X is not even available yet and most likely isn't something I care about anyway. In light of that, I really wonder if it is even worthwhile for me to hold out and buy K12U at an eventually-hoped-for $199 sale price, when I could just get the two actual items of value from it individually right now for pretty close to the same money, and then still upgrade from K11U to K13U* someday and resell my individual licenses (at least the one for Thrill) at that point.

* Assuming that K13U isn't just K12U rehashed again with a bunch more EDM expansions added to it. Oh, see, there goes my gag reflex again.

poetd likes this.
  13. poetd

poetd Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Just got an email confirming - 50% off Thrill, K6, Middle East and the Symphony series.

Thrill and K6 are all I'm fussed about.
    I make EDM too (sorry about the gag reflex there :) ) so will use the packs, there's usually some gems tucked away in them.
    Middle East like the other World packs are a nice to have if I ever find the need one day for that kind of thing.

The Symphony stuff I'm on the fence on. The essentials are all "ok" to have for layering sometimes to beef up other libraries. I have the full percussion and do like that one. But am definitely looking elsewhere for my Strings/Brass/Winds.

WindcryMusic likes this.
  14. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I don't see 50% off the Kontakt update - still shows as 99 USD....

15. poetd

poetd Member

Sep 9, 2018
    50% off full price only at the moment it seems.

Still wouldn't have expected that they would do that only a month after release, so there's hope for an update sale I guess, maybe xmas? Will have to wait and see.

16. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉuǝS

Oct 19, 2015
    Have NI ever done a sale on Kontakt upgrades? I don't recall that they have, but maybe I missed one somewhere along the way.

I'm actually rethinking what I wrote earlier, anyway. I had overlooked the Middle East library, for one thing (thanks for pointing it out). And I probably won't be needing either Thrill or K6 until next summer at the current rate. So maybe I should wait?

17. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts Flibbertyjibbit

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
  18. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Well, what I would like to get from K12U would cost me something like 12€ less than the full upgrade to K12U. But the full collection comes in a nice box, so I will probably spend that little more money!

Paolo

19. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Senior Member

Apr 23, 2017
    That kinda blows. Oh well, at least now I know how to strategize. NI is out this year, money will be spent at Heavyocity.