What's new

Why VSL (still) rocks

I started a new topic about the Chris Hein libraries and seeing if more is known about the nature of the convolutions on offer; especially for Body vs. Room. It isn't detailed in the user manuals, but might have been talked about on this or other forums at some point.

I use MIR with the VSL libraries, but also used it with my own recordings.
Agreed. I have found that you can get a very convincing room sound with a real piano, virtually independent of the actual room it is in, by using a close-mic ORTF config right at the lid, then put it into MIR with e.g. any of the room pack I stages.

Reactions: Ben
Good point, as ORTF is very friendly to downstream spatial processing.

I would think that Mid/Side would work well also, in this context, and mixed between live stuff and library material.

I would think that Mid/Side would work well also
You would want to dial in the Side. I've used ORTF and spaced cardioid (mid-treble and bass strings) to good effect. Any stereo close-mic technique should work. What I loved is that I could dial in a very convincing jazz trio setup with real piano, EZ Drummer, and Fluffy Audio bass, all on the MIR Mozartsaal stage with little effort. For me, that alone is worth the $$$ for MIR Pro. Similarly, it has been useful for situating a string quartet using the VSL solo strings.

Top Bottom