Why VSL (still) rocks

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by richhickey, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You know, at this point I'm resigned to freezing my current machines where they are. If I need to run new stuff, I'll buy a new machine when I get to that bridge.

For me it's more that I want to run old stuff without updating everything!

kitekrazy likes this.
  2. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    I'm already running/keeping 4 generations of frozen machines! Been doing this since 1993 lol. I honestly prefer keeping good products like VI libraries alive rather than paying for Synchronized versions of my stuff that uses the same samples just to keep them current on operating systems.

Edit: Also, Synchron player is nowhere near the capabilities that Vienna Instruments Pro is actually.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    arcy and novaburst like this.
  3. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Ditto, ditto and ditto. My only beef with VEP (which I consider absolutely essential) is that VEP7 breaks 32 bit capability, and VEP 5 has been my kind host for old, hoary 32 bit instruments.

4. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    I forgot to add that VSL still rocks! ;) And will most likely do for quite some time. Good record takes from humans playing real instruments in post 2000 audio resolutions are still current, VSL already had an edge into scripting before everyone else. I'm not worried about aging VSL samples at-all!

arcy likes this.
  5. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I know.

They removed the 32-bit server because it's already broken on Mojave. The plug-ins still run, but they all have weird graphic bugs. I suggested they add a warning screen, but they just removed it.

For me the answer has been to move as much of my old stuff as possible onto my Windows 7 machine. Addictive Drums, for example.

6. Eloy

Eloy New Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This video is fantastic. It shows the depths that you may go with VSL samples. May many more of these videos come our way. Thank you

7. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, simplicity and power are usually on opposite sides of a scale.

I admit to preferring the balance to tilt to the former, because in the heat of battle I just want to play and not look at instructions.

The best interface I can think of on a complicated instrument is Omnisphere's. It has a lot of parameters if you need to get at the details, but they're presented in a way that you don't have to re-learn the instrument every time you don't use it for a while.

8. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    Because people are never happy with what they have and always need the next new thing. As for the video, it sounds lifeless to me. It takes an amazing piece and sucks all the emotion out of it.

9. BlackDorito

BlackDorito Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I think the video itself is fascinating and reminds me how powerful VI-Pro is. It would be good to do a blind comparison with a live-orch version .. perhaps add a little chair squeak or music-rustling to the VI version as subtle cues.

I also wonder how far someone could go in this Rite exercise with the SE+ edition only. His bassoon has lots of artics:

upload_2019-5-15_7-56-48.png

My SE bassoon has only:

upload_2019-5-15_7-58-57.png

SE is missing certain things ... but how important are they.

10. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    With SE, if you get ViPro, then some of the things he talks about in that video would be useful tricks for you to extend your smaller set of articulations into more variations and nuance.

dsblais likes this.
  11. bbunker

bbunker Senior Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Just wanted to point out - that isn't all the articulations in SE+ by any means. It's just the shorts. And none of the repetition samples on those shorts, either, so - your SE bassoon definitely shouldn't only have those.

dsblais likes this.
  12. Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    The SE and SE+ packages are a great value and you can do a lot with them. But some articulations I will not miss after upgrading to the full instruments. For example the performance trills, different repertitions and the different dynamic articulations. Also the full libraries have more velocity layers and mostly sampled in half-tone steps.

ptram likes this.
  13. dsblais

dsblais Member

May 12, 2018
    Do you feel like this improved granularity makes for a noticeable difference when composing, playing, and/or listening? Outside of a couple instruments, I only have SE and haven't been able to rationalize getting the full instruments yet.

14. Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Yes, even the same articulations sound so much more vivid thanks to more samples and velocity layers.
    If you using VSL just in a notation program, upgrading to the full instruments is imo waste of money. But if you take time and tweak the midi, you can get so much out of it. And the different additional articulations can inspire you during composition.
    (Look out for sales; at the moment you get 30% on all upgrades)

ptram and dsblais like this.
  15. dsblais

dsblais Member

May 12, 2018
    Thank you, Ben. That sale has already struck me once; perhaps it will again.

16. BlackDorito

BlackDorito Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I'm always using the SE within Sibelius and the bassoon preset that Sibelius drives is:
    upload_2019-5-15_12-51-27.png
    which contains most of the SE+ bassoon articulations but not all. [@bbunker is correct about the matrix I posted earlier.] Like @dsblais I haven't yet come across any evidence that upgrading will substantially change the game for me. The VSL soundset for Sibelius allows you to be productive quickly, but also perhaps discourages experimentation. Now that I am trying out Dorico, I am thinking its expression map feature will allow easier mixing and matching of VSL articulations (i.e. creating my own matrices) and tying them to score notations.

17. Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    If you are using the basson in a DAW you get so much more with the upgrade to the full instrument. Full articulation list:
    upload_2019-5-15_23-16-10.png

Highlights not in SE+: different shorts with(out) vibrato, marcato legato, tons of dynamics, perf. trills

arcy, EgM and dsblais like this.
  18. I like music

I like music Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Wait, wtf. Is that an articulation list? That many articulations?

Ben and dsblais like this.
  19. romantic

romantic Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I like music likes this.
  20. I like music

I like music Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015