What's new

Why Layer The Sample Libraries?

A while back on my Facebook page, I did a short series of posts called "Composing For Film". One of the topics I got asked about and posted was why laying when using samples is so important. I'm sure there will be people new to composing, so I figured I'd share here. If you already know this keep moving. ;)

Layering is key to making those mockups sound real. Now if you've got a budget to record with a live orchestra this isn't really needed. But if you don't then you need to be layering. Why? Because like a live violinist each sample library is different. Each library has it's own sound, feel and "taste" if you will. When you are composing and layer those libraries all together their "human" touch starts to show. Almost like the libraries are playing off of each other like real players would. Below is a link to the demo I posted on Soundcloud of a short run played with Cellos to demonstrate layering. The first time through the first time through it's played by Cinematic Strings by itself. The second time through it is Cinematic Strings, and CineStrings. The final time it is Cinematic Strings, CineStrings, and Albion I believe. It was a while ago I recorded it. It's roughly mixed but it allows you to hear the difference layering makes.

Song Link -

Hopefully this is helpful to somebody! :)

Top Bottom