What's new

Why I hate Windows effing updates

Vonk

Dear customer,
We are currently investigating an issue that affects our TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 Mk2, MASCHINE STUDIO, and all KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series Mk1 hardware. Following the latest updates to Microsoft Windows 7, 8, and 10, these controllers are no longer recognized.

The issue was introduced in the most recent Windows update. We are in contact with Microsoft to try to narrow down the cause and find possible solutions. Until there’s a permanent fix, you’ll need to roll Windows back to the previous version in order to keep using your hardware. We’ve created a support page showing you how to do this:

Windows 10
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000983457

Windows 8
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001078378

Windows 7
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001061717

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and hope to resolve the issue very soon.
Best wishes,
The Native Instruments team

Yet another routine Windows update breaks things... This is why I have to have dual boot Win Pro systems and keep stuff offline. It's like having a rogue car mechanic who breaks in overnight and disables various bits of your vehicle once a month.

From what I know, the only surefire tool for halting Windows 10 updates is the Local Group Policy Editor. Apparently, it's only available in Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, not Home.

Proviso: My PCs are never online except for a few moments once in a while to install software. I don't use them to read news or get email or anything; if your PCs are online it's obviously dodgy to turn off updates or defender.

I pasted this "how to disable Cortana" in from some web page -- I used this same method to disable Defender and Updates:

If you’re using Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise, the easiest way to disable Cortana is by using the Local Group Policy Editor. It’s a pretty powerful tool, so if you’ve never used it before, it’s worth taking some time to learn what it can do. Also, if you’re on a company network, do everyone a favor and check with your admin first. If your work computer is part of a domain, it’s also likely that it’s part of a domain group policy that will supersede the local group policy, anyway.

You should also make a System Restore point before continuing. Windows will probably do this automatically when you install the Anniversary Update, but it couldn’t hurt to make one manually–that way, if something goes wrong, you can always roll back.

First, launch the group policy editor by pressing Windows + R, typing “gpedit.msc” into the box, and pressing Enter.

Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.

Locate the “Allow Cortana” setting in the right pane and double-click it.

Set the Allow Cortana option to “Disabled” and then click “OK”.

You can now close the group policy editor. You’ll have to sign out and sign back in–or restart your PC–for this change to take effect.

To re-enable Cortana, return here, double-click the “Enable Cortana” setting, and change it to “Not Configured” or “Enabled”.

Last edited:
You can turn off Windows Update in Windows 10 Home

To be safe, start with setting a System Restore point

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services
Scroll down to Windows Update and select it.

system update.jpg

Click Stop the service, and the word Running in the Status Column will disappear and then you will have the option to start it again if you want.

However, Windows Update will automatically turn itself back on after awhile.
[EDIT: This is why @JohnG is so right about Windows Pro being a necessity. It's not helpful to turn off updates if they just go back on again.]

What I'm doing while this NI thing is going on is to keep Windows Update running and turn it off only when I restart my computer, which for me is very rare. I generally keep my computer on.

By the way, I keep Services on my Startup on my desktop, to make it easy to check things like this.

Last edited:
It is a shame they dont differentiate security updates from feature/function OS updates. I get that that isnt as clear a dileniation as it might appear to be, but....some attempt could be made, if only getting Windows Defender definition updates without getting major OS updates.

Recent update fixed my power management (sleep) weirdness. Which means one broke it. I had thought i didnt “notice” when i built it last year, but nope. Now, Im convinced it was fine, they broke it and fixed it. Not cool. And Im supposed to be ok with something as fundamental as how Windows handles sleep/power manaement....so i can get security holes plugged and WD definitions?

Some useful stuff posted in response to my rant, thanks. I remain irritated at the extra expense, time & effort that has to go into protecting systems against sudden and unexpected down time. The adopted model by Microsoft always changing operating system over which we, the customer who paid for it, have very little control, and which repeatedly leads to a whole host of unforeseen consequences.

For myself, I block the installation of updates, and keep a perpetually available backup on a dual boot installation. I do not use the items below, but they came strongly recommended to me from people whose technical skills greatly exceed my own, and others may find them useful.
https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-1/

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_update_minitool.html

Last edited:
For the record, I just did a Windows Restore to a restore point I have used before, and it totally crashed everything and wouldn't open. With a bit of work I was able to figure out how to restore to a point earlier in time and I am back.

For the moment I'm going to live with Komplete Kontrol not working anymore.

That is one of the things I like about Windows 7, you could just update the security patches. They give you lots of choices.

I read all these because in a year or less I will need to update to 10 and I'm not looking forward to it. And it looks like I should spend the money for pro.

There are things I like about 10, such as being able to run software from 2006 on it without an issue. Of course, hardware is another matter.

That's the only real drawback with Home that I encountered. I upgraded to Pro for that reason.

Good tip, though @TigerTheFrog , for those who have Home.

Rumor has it that this is going to change in the Home version. I'd like to meet these people screwing up which I now call f'updates and punch them in the nuts. On the positive side you can roll back your OS.

Dear customer,
We are currently investigating an issue that affects our TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 Mk2, MASCHINE STUDIO, and all KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series Mk1 hardware. Following the latest updates to Microsoft Windows 7, 8, and 10, these controllers are no longer recognized.

The issue was introduced in the most recent Windows update. We are in contact with Microsoft to try to narrow down the cause and find possible solutions. Until there’s a permanent fix, you’ll need to roll Windows back to the previous version in order to keep using your hardware. We’ve created a support page showing you how to do this:

Windows 10
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000983457

Windows 8
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001078378

Windows 7
https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001061717

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and hope to resolve the issue very soon.
Best wishes,
The Native Instruments team

Yet another routine Windows update breaks things... This is why I have to have dual boot Win Pro systems and keep stuff offline. It's like having a rogue car mechanic who breaks in overnight and disables various bits of your vehicle once a month.

Switching to Mac is not an answer either. They come across similar problems. I hate the "evolving" OS. I miss those days of just Windows service packs.

I defenestrated my computer and installed GNU/Linux a few years ago when I released Micro$haft had more control over my computer than I did.

It is a shame they dont differentiate security updates from feature/function OS updates. I get that that isnt as clear a dileniation as it might appear to be, but....some attempt could be made, if only getting Windows Defender definition updates without getting major OS updates.

Hi Jamie,

Actually they do, but I'm not entirely sure whether you can pick which to update or not...I think it's "all or nothing" with Windows 10 Pro. When it's a security update, it says "Security update for Windows 10 for x64-based systems...etc..etc..". When it's just a regular update, it's written as "Feature update to Windows, version/build xyz". I frequently update my VEP server, and that's more or less how they name their updates. Sometimes they group them into what they call "Cumulative updates" because the user hasn't updated the OS for a while. :)

Yes.

For one thing, the cost of buying Home and then, if you regret it, upgrading to Pro doesn't seem economical at all.
Home is free for me, as I grabbed 10 and went back to 7. I think home was the only free option though. I definitely wouldn't pay for it as you can still get it free from MS if you know where to look. And you have an earlier version. :)

Definitely paying for pro, and not the OEM version either. It sounds like the OEM version might screw you if you change a hard drive.

t sounds like the OEM version might screw you if you change a hard drive.

IDK. As you may have witnessed, I just gave up trying to change to an SSD, for the time being. I can't remember whether I bought Windows or upgraded from 7 for that computer. Some other lifetime.

IDK. As you may have witnessed, I just gave up trying to change to an SSD, for the time being. I can't remember whether I bought Windows or upgraded from 7 for that computer. Some other lifetime.
I've bought OEM versions before. You can actually get them to let you reuse them on a new computer but I've always had to call. If I remember correctly, I did it for my Windows 8 computer when I changed the HDD. But I don't remember what I had to give them to get it to work.

I've bought OEM versions before. You can actually get them to let you reuse them on a new computer but I've always had to call. If I remember correctly, I did it for my Windows 8 computer when I changed the HDD. But I don't remember what I had to give them to get it to work.

Right. You have to phone them so they can deauthorize the SN for you - from their server.

Top Bottom